CAS TOPICS > The Leather Shop

Help identifying this stamp/embossing wheel

(1/4) > >>

BrushyCreekDouglas:
Good morning guys!

My name is Ethan, I’m new to the forum though I’ve been a frequent reader for years now. I’m 24 and have just started a gun-leather side gig. My goal is to recreate rigs from the 19th and early 20th century using as many patterns, tools, and techniques as possible from the period. One border pattern I’m trying to replicate is one often seen on FA Meanea rigs, such as the one pictured below that belonged to Bat Masterson. I’m unsure whether it’s a stamp or an embossing wheel, though I’m leaning towards the latter.

My question is do any of you know if this pattern tool is still made? If so, could someone point me in the right direction?

Thanks a million and God bless,

Marshal Will Wingam:
Welcome to the forum. I found the auction site and took a close look at the border work.

It looks like Meanea did the three beads first then ran an embossing wheel along the outside of those. Whether he used an embossing wheel for the beads or did them by hand I couldn't tell. You could make the beads by hand but finding an exact match for that embossing wheel might be a bit of a challenge.

I did find this embossing wheel which is similar but not quite as spread out looking. Not pressing the wheel into the leather as hard as they did would help but it's not an exact match.

I do have to say, that'a a fine rig. A nice historical piece. A Meanea, too. If you get to making one like that, please share some photos with us.

BrushyCreekDouglas:

--- Quote from: Marshal Will Wingam on August 15, 2022, 09:48:10 AM ---I found the auction site and took a close look at the border work.

It looks like Meanea did the three beads first then ran an embossing wheel along the outside of those. Whether he used an embossing wheel for the beads or did them by hand I couldn't tell. You could make the beads by hand but finding an exact match for that embossing wheel might be a bit of a challenge.

I did find this embossing wheel which is similar but not quite as spread out looking. Not pressing the wheel into the leather as hard as they did would help but it's not an exact match.

I do have to say, that'a a fine rig. A nice historical piece. A Meanea, too. If you get to making one like that, please share some photos with us.

--- End quote ---

Yes sir I definitely plan on making that one eventually. Bat is a favorite of mine.

I looked all over Springfield’s site and couldn’t find that specific one. Might be a bit of a challenge.

Thanks for the insight and reply!

Marshal Will Wingam:

--- Quote from: BrushyCreekDouglas on August 15, 2022, 09:55:10 AM ---Yes sir I definitely plan on making that one eventually. Bat is a favorite of mine.

I looked all over Springfield’s site and couldn’t find that specific one. Might be a bit of a challenge.

Thanks for the insight and reply!

--- End quote ---
You might be able to make a wavy roller with files then add the dots to the border by hand.

Marshal Will Wingam:
Here's a close-up of the border in case anyone else wants to take a look without having to find the auction site.

Advertisers:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version