Special Interests - Groups & Societies > Frontier Iron

S&W single actions and leather

(1/4) > >>

Graveyard Jack:
Got my first Schofield .45Colt 9yrs ago, the same year I started doing leatherwork. From that first afternoon I spent with it, I was hooked! I couldn't run it as fast as a Colt SAA but it was such a fun sixgun to shoot. Put a set of Eagle UltraIvory grips on it as soon as I could.

I also found it was a wonderful sixgun to make leather for. Something about the shape of a form fitted holster for a S&W single action is just the definition of elegant. The first was the Flames of Hell pattern from the 3:10 to Yuma remake.

Which looks very different with a traditional border stamp instead of the decorative stitching.

One of my favorite holsters in Packing Iron, is this variation of the Mexican loop from a maker named "Rice" in Kansas. Reproduced by Will Ghormley in pattern form as the "Dodge City".

Last year I added four more of these guns to the collection. First I found that Cimarron had started importing the American and ordered an 8" .45Colt off Gunbroker.  I always thought the Russian was the best looking of them all and in a twist of fate, found one used .44 CAS City. I was elated to find that while they're marked .44Russian, the chambers are .44Special. I have tons of Special and .44Colt brass but no Russian so this was wonderful!

The American is an inch longer than the Schofield and has a taller front sight, so a new pattern was drawn up from scratch. This left handed version I made went all the way to London.

Then my wife asked me what I wanted for our anniversary and this factory engraved (not laser) Schofield .45 from Taylor's was the answer.

Then Taylor's finally started shipping the New Model as their "Frontier" in .44Spl and I got ahold of one.

For the 7" Schofield, 6.5" Russian and Frontier guns, I ordered this floral carved holster from Skillet Creek on Etsy. The Frontier was carried all last hunting season. The belt and knife sheath are my work.

Abilene:
Great photos, such eye candy!  S&W's don't fit my hands but they do look elegant.  That engraved one is wowzer!

Graveyard Jack:

--- Quote from: Abilene on July 12, 2022, 11:41:04 PM ---Great photos, such eye candy!  S&W's don't fit my hands but they do look elegant.  That engraved one is wowzer!
--- End quote ---
Thanks! I love them but nothing handles like a Colt! I do think the Schofield model is the best of the bunch. Followed by the New Model. The Russian is really comfortable to hold but that hammer is so far from the thumb and the hump is right in the way of that. For me, the American is uncomfortable to hold and shoot. Or maybe my hands are just so used to Colt pattern guns.

Advertising:

1961MJS:

--- Quote from: Abilene on July 12, 2022, 11:41:04 PM ---Great photos, such eye candy!  S&W's don't fit my hands but they do look elegant.  That engraved one is wowzer!

--- End quote ---

We've got opposite hands I guess.  My hands are too wide I guess.  My pinky hangs down on the SAA and I can't grip it well enough to shoot accurately.  The Schofield works MUCH better. 

What finish did you use on the Dodge City holster or did you get that from Will?  The shiny looks really good.
Later

Graveyard Jack:

--- Quote from: 1961MJS on July 23, 2022, 03:49:47 PM ---We've got opposite hands I guess.  My hands are too wide I guess.  My pinky hangs down on the SAA and I can't grip it well enough to shoot accurately.  The Schofield works MUCH better. 

What finish did you use on the Dodge City holster or did you guy that from Will?  The shiny looks really good.
Later

--- End quote ---
I start with gum trag, then buff while still damp. Then a coat of bag kote. Once it's completely dry I buff one more time. Leaves just enough sheen.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version