CAS TOPICS > Shooter's Meeting

How to shoulder a stock with a crescent butt plate?

(1/2) > >>

GreyVR:
Hello All, I've been searching for an answer on this question. I have a Taylor's and Company Winchester '73 I hope to use when I'm set up for CAS.

I love this rifle and think it is one of the best looking rifles I have. I took the leather off the stock very carefully because the wood is so attractive.

That said, when I shoulder it I find I poke myself with the bottom point of the butt plate. I imagine the flaw is in myself, not the weapon, and there is a technique to doing this that I'm missing.

I did find this video in my search, but this is a much more extreme curve and is on a single shot muzzleloader.

But he does talk about how the shape of the buttplate worked for the way they shot that kind of rifle. I imagine there must be a middle ground between what he is talking about and my Winchester '73.

Can anyone give me some instructions or a pointer to a similar video on how you are suppose to shoot these old rifles?

wildman1:
Stock goes to your shoulder-shoulder fits in the curve of the stock. THEN the cheek goes to the stock so the sights align. The curved ML rifles were shot differently than the cartridge rifles.
wM1

St. George:
Keep in mind that folks back then weren't built on the 'heroic scale' of today, and what worked for them may well not work for you - those old crescent buttplates can be hard on a shoulder.

'Youtube' may be an interesting time-waster, but actual practice and range time will do far more for your skill set than watching someone else enjoying himself.

Scouts Out!

Advertising:

Baltimore Ed:
Don’t poke yer eye out.

Hendo:

--- Quote from: GreyVR on June 29, 2021, 05:53:31 PM ---Hello All, I've been searching for an answer on this question. I have a Taylor's and Company Winchester '73 I hope to use when I'm set up for CAS.

I love this rifle and think it is one of the best looking rifles I have. I took the leather off the stock very carefully because the wood is so attractive.

That said, when I shoulder it I find I poke myself with the bottom point of the butt plate. I imagine the flaw is in myself, not the weapon, and there is a technique to doing this that I'm missing.

I did find this video in my search, but this is a much more extreme curve and is on a single shot muzzleloader.

But he does talk about how the shape of the buttplate worked for the way they shot that kind of rifle. I imagine there must be a middle ground between what he is talking about and my Winchester '73.

Can anyone give me some instructions or a pointer to a similar video on how you are suppose to shoot these old rifles?

--- End quote ---
Maybe this will help? (Sorry for the late reply.)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version