Author Topic: Which capper do you use on your Remingtons?  (Read 1604 times)

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
Which capper do you use on your Remingtons?
« on: March 29, 2021, 06:27:35 PM »
If this has been covered before, please redirect me.

I've acquired a new to me old Uberti small-frame Navy.
Curious to know which capper is recommended to get into those smaller nipple pockets.

I have a Cash capper that comes to more of a point that holds the cap in two leaf springs which I plan to use. I thought about getting a snail capper, but the info on the shopping sites say not suitable for Remington cylinders.

I'm going to guess that whatever choice, at best I will be able to get the cap started and need to fully seat with a dowel or similar.

What has been your experience/preference?

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 95
Re: Which capper do you use on your Remingtons?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2021, 06:31:38 PM »
Of Remingtons, all mine are Pietta and 44.    I had used a snail capper but great apr fingers and limited patience led to a whole tin of caps in the grass.   I switched to Cash straight cappers.   I have 11 or 13 of them.  Load them before a shoot and good to go.  Have not had trouble on Colts or Remingtons

Offline hellgate

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2021, 12:02:17 AM »
Look closely at my cappers. For the Remingtons (I have 7) you will want the in-line style. Among the in-line cappers only the double steel spring tips and the single steel spring tips will work. The all brass (slotted tips and the snail style) are too thick to fit into the nipple cutouts. Forget the snail cappers. Note that I have ground back the tips of the steel springs to where there is very little protruding of the lips of the springs. Those cappers with the single spring tips and the brass supporting under the caps are the most reliable to apply onto the nipple and actually seat caps hard enough to not need further pushing onto the nipple (those are the two next to the snail capper).
All of those pictured work fine in the Colt style revolvers.
Some people take a Dremel to their Remingtons after removing the nipples and grind out the nipple recesses like the Ruger Old Army so any capper will fit.
Keep in mind the percussion revolvers were never designed for rapid reloading since they were providing SIX TIMES THE FIREPOWER of the single shot pistols they were replacing in the 1850s and 60s.
"Frontiersman: the only category where you can shoot your wad and play with your balls while tweeking the nipples on a pair of 44s." Canada Bill

Since I have 14+ guns, I've been called the Imelda Marcos of Cap&Ball. Now, that's a COMPLIMENT!

SASS#3302L
REGULATOR
RUCAS#58
Wolverton Mt. Peacekeepers
SCORRS
DGB#29
NRA Life
CASer since 1992

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:55:39 PM »

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2021, 08:47:52 AM »
One take away from this thread - I've ordered another Ted Cash inline capper to go along with the one I already have.

Seems like everyone keeps a dozen or so on hand . . . I should probably have at least a pair just to be considered respectable.

I did take my Dremel to the old Remington Navy I already owned to open up the nipple pockets, but the recently acquired Lyman Uberti Navy I want to keep as pristine as possible, for collector's value. Most of my revolvers I strip the grips and then use an oil finish on them, but I'm keeping the original finish on these grips for the same reason.

Thanks to all who've shared their info.

RCJ

"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 95
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2021, 01:36:41 PM »
RCJ, I would order several.   nothing quite takes the joy out of the day like loading a capper.  I have 8.5 functional fingers, and they are stiff.  One day was particularly rough and my wife could hear my basement commentary on the situation from the 2nd floor.  She came down and completed the task with her lovely long and graceful fingers.  I work my way through it, knowing the joy of making those caps go off.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2021, 10:19:09 AM »

:) BATTER UP!!  ;)

Ah yes.  Here we are.  Cap Gun Nirvana.  Almost.  Which capper for the Remington.  Well, heck.  NONE.  You see, I don't like, Don't shoot and didn't keep the only Remington I ever had.  Absolutely abysmal lump it was.  It HURT to shoot.  dumped it off as soon as I was able.  Did not head a tear.  No sir, not one.

What has this to do with the OPs question you might ask.  Well, go ahead . . .  ASK.  Absolutely Nothing says I.  It's trash day at my hacienda, it's chilly, it's raining, the Dogs are sound asleep as is my sweetheart and I are bored to tears.  So, here I are cluttering up this thread.  You may well elect to ignore my contribution.  I know I would, but if you have gotten this far, it's too late.  Nanny Nanny Poo Poo!!

People are Hazardous too Yer Health.  Avoid Them.

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2021, 11:13:52 AM »
Coffinmaker, I had one of those purpose built Remington Conversions in .45 that absolutely banged up my all-important middle finger horribly. Sold it to a nice man who now often wins in his chosen category at every shoot.

Oddly enough, the .36 Navy Remingtons I have do not batter that all-important middle finger.

I do appreciate your contribution, and sincerely hope that you, the dogs, and your significant other find release from the ennui that has descended upon your ranchera.

"Not everyone can be in the parade. Someone must sit on the curb and clap as it passes by." - a somewhat misquoted Will Rogers.

RCJ

NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Darto

• Top Active Citizen
  • Step right up the wooden board on the wall !
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2023, 10:22:18 PM »
I use a Polish capper designed for the 1875. One guy on Youtube say they don't work well. But mine is working great. (It took over a month for the package to reach me from Poland)(the CapandBall guy's store).

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2023, 11:38:01 PM »
I use a Polish capper designed for the 1875...

Okay, I'm no expert on Remingtons, but was 1875 a typo?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com