CAS TOPICS > The Leather Shop

Straight Border

(1/5) > >>

Uncle Chan:
All,

For what seems forever, I've been trying to figure out how those simple straight borders are put on holsters, belts, etc.  I've heard many say that basically, what you do is use your leather knife to cut a line about 1/8 inch wide, then bevel the line.  I've done that dozens of times but nothing looks finished.  Every one has that "cut" and beveled look.  I wish I had a better way of explaining it.... :(

uncle Chan

Silver Creek Slim:
Like what is on the top of these?
BTW, click on the pic and it will enlarge.

Slim

Marshal Will Wingam:
To cut a wide border evenly, even around corners, with a swivel knife there is an adjustable guide you can get that will screw onto the blade and give you a good cut at whatever distance you care to set it. See the first photo.

I use two different types of tools for this. There is an edger for creasing a bead at the edge of the leather to give it a more finished look. See the second photo.

I'm not sure where to get these, but most good leather tool suppliers should have them. I got mine years ago from Tandy.

Advertising:

Uncle Chan:
Slim, that is exactly what I'm talking about.  Did you use a gouger for that?

Marshall, thanks for the information.  i do woodworking and could easily fabricate the swivel knife guide.  As for the creaser, i have one of those and must be doing something seriously wrong because I can't seem to get it to look nice and finished.  Perhaps my leather is too dry?  too wet?  I just don't know.  i've a big project I'm working on for a friend and I want it to look finished and semi-professional.  Guess I'd best keep working at it.  :)

uncle chan

Steel Horse Bailey:
Uncle Chan, howdy!

There is another tool (the name escapes me) that Tandy & C.S.Osborne sells and has an adjustable blade that cuts a thin gouge.

I just looked in my 2006 Tandy Catalog #180 and they don't show that tool.  The 2 I have were given to me.  They are Osborne tools.  They're also not listed in an old Mast (bought out by Weaver) catalog.

Sorry I couldn't help more.

Well, Rats!  I just checked Osborne's website and they no longer list the tool.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version