Author Topic: Suggestions???  (Read 6363 times)

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Suggestions???
« on: October 12, 2005, 02:47:21 PM »
I have a knive sheath that fits on a 2" belt.  I have a 3 1/2" belt with huge silver conchos.

What would you suggest short of cutting into the belt?
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
Re: Suggestions???
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2005, 02:51:51 PM »
Years ago, I put a strap on a wide belt with chicago screws to hold a holster. I don't have a picture of it, but you may want to try something like that. It would be like a scewed on wide bullet loop.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

The Arapaho Kid

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2005, 02:58:32 PM »
I would suggest having another knife case made with a wider belt loop on it.  If you are a leather crafter, or know one....this would be the logical way to go.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:20:46 AM »

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2005, 04:07:12 PM »
This is a gorgeous hand made beaded sheath (Can I insert a plug for Dixie Gun Works in here?) that I bought for my wife's Green River butcher knife. 

The belt is a hand made Navajo concho belt that I bought for $400 over thirty years ago.  I really don't want to alter either one of them.

Any way to make a rig to accomodate this set up?
People like me are the reason people like you have the right to bitch about people like me.

Offline laffalotlouie

• Citizen
  • Golden Heart Shootist Society
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2005, 04:28:07 PM »
Forty Rod,

One suggestion, depending on what you are using the concho belt for now, is to simply wear two belts.  I've seen quite a few photos of individuals wearing two, one for their sidearm, the other for a knife, sword, or another sidearm.  Individuals during that time were very resourceful, and those on frontier especially were not held to strict dress code standards.

Is the sheath of traditional wester design, as in the belt loop sits directly behind the handle, or is it of more of an older design where the loop is actually a slot off to the side of the knife?  Being from Dixie and designed for a green river knife, I bet it's the latter.  In that case, there really isn't much you can do other than wear it just tucked into the belt, which was quite common. 

I know this really doesn't help a whole lot but it's one of those tough circumstances.

Laff-a-lot Louie
What gun is my favorite?  The one in my hand when the shootin' starts.

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2005, 07:02:19 PM »
Pard, if there were any way to get a snapshot or two of the sheath posted here, it might help in coming up with a design idea or two.  Assuming the beads would preclude tucking the knife behind your belt for fear of damage to the bead work I like the idea of crossed belts as mentioned above,,,,,,, but I'm partial to that look anyhows.  Another thought, a drop loop for your current belt.  It would work somewhat akin to the Buskyderroo drop loop for holsters.  HMMM, kinda think of it as that section of the buskaderro belt with the slot being a fold over piece of leather(like snap on badge holders) that could be place on the belt with the knife sheath inserted into its slot.  The belt and the sheath would remain unaltered.  These drop loops are fairly easy to make and should not cost much to have made and they are great for clubs with loaner belts, lets newbies try a similated buskaderro under match conditions.

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2005, 09:24:15 PM »
Hey, I got it solved.

Sometimes the simplest way is the best

The ad said the sheath would fit belts up to 2", but I got looking at it, took the buckle and two conchos off the belt, and slipped the sheath right on.  Put it back together and Momma has a new rig.

I'll try to get my digital gizmo to work and post pics.

Thanks for the help (that I didn't need, but didn't know better).

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2005, 09:25:46 PM »
Ah, yes. Photos. We need photos. ;D

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Rap Scallion

• Active citizen
  • Strikingly Handsome
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2005, 11:27:20 PM »
This is a gorgeous hand made beaded sheath (Can I insert a plug for Dixie Gun Works in here?) that I bought for my wife's Green River butcher knife. 

The belt is a hand made Navajo concho belt that I bought for $400 over thirty years ago.  I really don't want to alter either one of them.

Any way to make a rig to accomodate this set up?

I'd have to see the sheath up close and in person or good pics of it, BUT it can be done some way.  Butchering the belt is out!  But I would think that a nre loop or something like a sword or bayonet frog might be the answer.  I sure wouldn't mind seeing the pieces for a shot at a modification! ;)
W G Martin
Live Oak, Texas
USMC 1959-70 RVN Vet
NRA/TSRA/SASS#54735

To ride hard, shoot straight, and tell the truth!

Lex et Libertas -- Semper Vigilo, Paratus, et Fidelis!

Offline Forty Rod

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2005, 12:24:39 AM »
Too late, Rap.  Check two posts above yours, but thanks anyway.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com