Author Topic: Baikal scattergun  (Read 9136 times)

Offline Spanish Marshal

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Baikal scattergun
« on: February 22, 2005, 01:07:10 AM »
Howdy pards:
One more time I need your help. I´ve a Baikal scattergun, "Bounty Hunter II" model. Its current buttplate is made of bakelite and I want to change it for a metal one, (steel or brass). Does anybody know the web of the company that sells this type of buttplate for my gun?.

Thanks for your help and excuse for my english grammar.

Adios compadres.
Warthog

"Buena suerte amigo"

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
Re: Baikal scattergun
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2005, 07:04:26 PM »
Spanish:
I found one (a whole passel, actually) at a gunshow last weekend. 
Feller had a table fulla old butt plates & grips.  Many were metal.  Most weren't. 
They were priced @ only $1.00 to $5.00. 
Gunshow season is upon us now. 
I'd make me a tracin' of your butt plate & take it wit' you to a show & look around.
Betch you'll find one.
You'll probably do some filin' & sandin', though.
Jus' a idee....
MG
"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2005, 08:13:59 PM »
Gregg, they may not have gun shows in Espaina........Buck 8) ::) :o ;)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:26:48 PM »

Offline Spanish Marshal

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2005, 02:08:17 PM »
Hi Mustang Gregg and Four-Eyed Buck:

Thanks for your information.
    I was speaking with one friend about "to copy"  my butt plate in a piece of brass. My friend is a handyman and it´s possible for him to make this work.

In Spain, (España), we have few gun shows, and we can´t buy parts of guns. Sometimes, in militaria shows is possible to buy some parts, for example butt for mauser, or old magazines, they are not basic parts of guns.

Excuse for my bad grammar. I think that I speak and write english how the red skins in the old west movies.

Sincerely yours
Warthog

"Buena suerte amigo"

Offline Four-Eyed Buck

• Top Active Citizen
  • Tusco LongRiders,
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2005, 07:39:55 PM »
SM, You don't do too bad, we've got teenagers over here that don't do half as well as you do! :o sorry about messin' up espan~a, at least I was close. If you can get someone to fabricate something for you, might be your best bet. I wasn't aware that that you did have some form of gun shows over there, just not as open as ours.....Buck 8) ::) ;)
I might be slow, but I'm mostly accurate.....

Offline Mustang Gregg

• .44 BP GUNFIGHTER
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • LtCol Mustang Gregg & Col Pitspitr at NE CSG 2007
    • Wild West Arms
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2005, 07:46:12 PM »
OOPs...My bad.  I reckoned even with that alias, you were here in the US.
MG

"I have two guns.  {CLICK--CLICK}  One for each of ya."
  BACK FROM AFGHANISTAN!!
"Mustang Gregg" Clement-----NRA LIFER, since '72-----SASS Life & Territorial Governor-----GAF #64-----RATS #0 & Forum Moderator-----BP Warthog------Distinguished Pistol 2004------SAIROC & MMTC Instructor-----Owner of Wild West Arms, Inc. [gun shop] Table Rock, NE------CASTIN' & BLASTIN'!!!!
www.wildwestarms.net

The Arapaho Kid

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2005, 10:09:59 AM »
I have one of these scatterguns too.  I discovered that because they are so light in weight, it's not a good idea to shoot hunting loads in it.  I recommend light target loads, or black powder.  After a shoot where I used hunting loads, I had a bruise that ran from my shoulder almost down to my elbow.  I now use very light target loads, or black powder and I wear a strap on recoil pad hidden under my shirt.  No more bruises for this old trooper!!!

I  might add...shooting black powder loads is great fun!  They make one helluva smoke cloud!

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2005, 03:18:01 PM »
To Spanish Marshal:

If you can't find a replacement buttplate to your liking (although your friend the machinist says he MIGHT be able to do it and it would look great) you might consider a leather wrap.  With a little work, you could make one your self that covers most or all of that nasty plastic buttplate.

By the way,  your English is fine and very understandable.  I'm embarrassed to say that there are many Americans who don't speak any English better than you.

Adios, Amigo!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Spanish Marshal

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2005, 01:12:18 PM »
To Steel Horse Bailey:

Thank you for your interest.

Excuse me for not having answered you before, but I have been very busy during two weeks outside of my home., (I have been in a maneuvers with my Unit). 

Thank you again

Spanish Marshal
Warthog

"Buena suerte amigo"

Offline Dai.S.Loe

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2005, 09:48:52 PM »
You could do what one of my shooting pards did here in NZ.

He made a cast from the butt plate on the s/gun then melted down all his excess and spare brass and cast a new one. Looks very nice.

The "Darkside" means never having to see the targets you miss.

jiminy criquet

« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2005, 10:28:18 AM »
I've got one of these Russian doubles and I do say that they indeed kick like a mule.  I ended up putting a thick buffalo hide 'buttstock protector' (read 'shoulder protector') over the butt of the gun.  Sweet.
Plus I don't feel as bad about sticking the butt of the shotgun down in the dirt at shoots.

The Arapaho Kid

« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2005, 10:42:30 AM »
I've got one of these Russian doubles and I do say that they indeed kick like a mule.  I ended up putting a thick buffalo hide 'buttstock protector' (read 'shoulder protector') over the butt of the gun.  Sweet.
Plus I don't feel as bad about sticking the butt of the shotgun down in the dirt at shoots.

There is another little trick you can use top reduce kick.  Remove your butt plate.  If there is a quarter sized hole on the stock back there.....pour in about 8 ounces of #9 (or smaller) birdshot.  Don't fill it totally up.  The shot has to slop around in there.  This acts as a shock absorber and will reduce kick somewhat.  If it is still a problem....look for trap and skeet loads...the light ones.  A third trick you can use is to purchase one of those strap on recoil pads and wear it under your shirt.  You can also shoot Black Powder ammo.  This has less kick than smokeless.

Offline caliberclyde

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2005, 09:57:19 AM »
I love my Baikal with the external hammers.   I disbled the auto part of the saftey, so it still works by flipping the switch manually.    Sure is a great shooting little gun. 
63275 SASS
Thornfield Rangers
I never miss...I just fire lots of warning shots...

Offline litl rooster

• Retired Cowboy... with saddle a 94 and the good book
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 310
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2005, 07:57:36 PM »
Spanish Marshal

Have you tried ordering one over the internet?  A generic one might need some modifications but, shouldn't take more than a Belt sander, to do the job.

I don't know what import laws that might restrict you from doing this, Try www.brownells.com
Mathew 5.9

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2005, 09:23:10 AM »
Though the buttplate of the time was most often hard rubber - some were made of Horn and steel and inletted - or 'skeletonized' Steel that would allow the wood to protrude through the open areas and be checkered.

This feature is seen on the 'better' shotguns of the day and is still a mark of 'quality'.

You 'could' do the same - given the fact that you have a perfect template to begin with - limited by your ability with a saw or drill press and some good files.

The site - www.brownells.com - will show some ideas - importation should be no problem - though shipping cost and customs tax may drive the price too high for comfort.

Winter is approaching - get a decently-sized piece of Steel and some files and an idea - and you have a small project for a couple of evenings.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Spanish Marshal

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: October 02, 2005, 01:50:08 PM »
Hello from Spain folks:

After being outside of my home, (I´ve been with my Unit on maneuvers ), I can be here again with you.  ;) ;)
Thank you very much for your information and your interest.

Sincerely

Spanish Marshal
Warthog

"Buena suerte amigo"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com