Author Topic: The Ballad of Lefty Brown  (Read 3799 times)

Offline Jake C

• Department of the Atlantic, GAF # 834
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
The Ballad of Lefty Brown
« on: November 15, 2017, 02:11:11 PM »
Saw a trailer on Facebook for the above-mentioned film. Looked like it could be good, thought I might bring it to y'all's attention if you hadn't heard about it previously. I'll post a link to the trailer when I get home.

Take care, everyone!
Win with ability, not with numbers.- Alexander Suvorov, Russian Field Marshal, 1729-1800

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 634
Re: The Ballad of Lefty Brown
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2017, 02:39:40 PM »
I hadn't heard about it either.  Here's the trailer:

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

Offline nagantino

• Top Active Citizen
  • Oh yeah.......
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 06:54:13 PM »
Hmm it doesn't look too bad. A little heavy on the Authentic Voice department, gravelly Old Timer thing. To me that's a flag of trying too hard. But it might be fun, please be good, everyone wants a good Western.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:18:35 PM »

Offline Shawnee McGrutt

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 01:17:43 PM »
I thought that, this film came out today? 
I can't seem to find it playing anywhere in Maine.
Looks like it could be good
National Congress of Old West Shootists 3633
Single Action Shooting Society 88462
Society of Remington Revolver Shooters
The Sublyme and Holy Order of the Soot
"I wish I had an answer to that because I'm tired of answering that question." - Yogi Berra

Offline Jake C

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2017, 06:13:04 AM »
I thought that, this film came out today? 
I can't seem to find it playing anywhere in Maine.
Looks like it could be good

I think it was a limited initial release, I don't know if it'll be getting a larger general release.
Win with ability, not with numbers.- Alexander Suvorov, Russian Field Marshal, 1729-1800

Offline Jake C

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 09:31:47 AM »
I saw this was available to buy digitally on Amazon, so I picked it up the other day. On the whole, not bad. I'd personally give a C+/B-. I would say rent first, and if it really speaks to you, then buy it. Very much a story about loyalty, and about doing the right thing even when it isn't easy. I think it'll appeal to a lot of people who are burnt out on morally ambiguous, black-and-gray morality films and shows (sometimes it's just good to have a main character who is a good person).

I felt like they did a pretty good job on the firearms; Only issue I really noticed was a S&W Russian Model gets called a Schofield. I had a few minor complaints, but I can set those aside for their story importance/necessities of film-making.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2018, 06:01:01 PM »
Really enjoyed it!  I give it 4.5 stars out of 5.  I thought Bill Pullman's portrayal was outstanding.

Offline Coal Creek Griff

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 634
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2018, 06:39:40 PM »
I finally got this movie from the library and watched it today.  I must say that I was pleasantly surprised.  It seemed like a low budget (direct to video?) movie, but I thought that most of the acting and the production values were above average for that type.  The costumes and sets looked good.  There were revolvers from Colt, Remington and Smith & Wesson as well as a double-barrel shotgun (affectionately called "The Growler"), a Spencer carbine, a Henry rifle and even an 1876 rifle.  The gunfire sounded good too.

Of course there were a number of things that were wrong, like the follower on the Henry being all the way to the rear unless the character was about to fire it, characters preparing to shoot while the hammers were down on their rifles, ranch hands who didn't know how to brand a calf, etc., along with a few plot holes.

My favorite part, though, was the location used.  It was filmed in one of my favorite parts of the world, the area in and around Bannack, Montana.  That was cool, and I'll likely look for a used DVD online just for that.

As for a couple of the previous objections, a character calls a S&W Russian a "Schofield", but people make mistakes, even in the old west, when they are being threatened at gunpoint. I forgive him.  Also, as for the kind of raspy voice being overdone, if you listen to the interviews, that is pretty similar that actor's voice.  I'll forgive him for adding a bit a gravel.

The film is about the classic "western sidekick" character (the old man with the beard and hat with the brim folded up in the front) being forced into the position of being the hero.  I like it.  The writer calls it a "coming of age story" for a guy in his 60's.  There is also a 16 year old kid who is coming of age too.  It's an interesting angle on a classic story.

Nope, not a perfect movie.  Not even among my favorite westerns.  It is, though, better than I thought and worth watching.

CC Griff
Manager, WT Ranch--Coal Creek Division

BOLD #921
BOSS #196
1860 Henry Rifle Shooter #173
SSS #573

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com