Author Topic: U.S. WWI Marlin Colt M1895/14 Potato Digger Display Gun For Sale  (Read 437 times)

Offline Bat 2919

• G Man / Bat Masterson
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Sand Creek Raiders
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Happy Trails

G Man / Bat Masterson
NRA Endowment
SASS #2919L
AZSA #11L
NCOWS #530
BOLD# 276
GAF #750

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
Re: U.S. WWI Marlin Colt M1895/14 Potato Digger Display Gun For Sale
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2022, 05:47:06 PM »
Yeah, reckon I'll pass on that one …  :-*

Your mention of building a replica puts me in mind of the very basic wooden Colt Model 1895 "potato digger" mockup I built for a GAF Muster years ago (… possibly 2009? ...) for which I had been prevailed upon to write some scenarios based on actions in which British Empire chaps won the Victoria Cross …

The scenario where the mock-up was used was based upon an action during the Second Anglo-Boer War, which resulted in three members of the Royal Canadian Dragoons being awarded the Victoria Cross … including Sgt. Edward Holland who, manning a Model 1895 Colt machine gun, helping to hold off a sizeable mounted force of Boers so artillery could limber up and withdraw and then, when his machine gun overheated and jammed with the attackers pressing too close for him to hitch up his own team, he dismounted the gun from its carriage and rode off with it on horseback …

Although I've found some of the Colt machine gun images on my computer which I downloaded back then to make the simple mock-up machine gun used in the scenario. I don't seem to have any photos of the prop itself … anyone else have anything in your archives, perchance?
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com