Author Topic: Finally.....  (Read 1177 times)

Offline Robert Swartz

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 892
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Finally.....
« on: August 31, 2022, 07:16:26 PM »

.....got my hands on an 1903 Springfield! Slowly getting the gear together for an pre WW1 match. Maybe someday I may even make it to a match outside our local club.
"Copperhead Bob"
GAF# 892
Sgt Maj (ret) 2nd KY Vols 1812 era
Lt (ret) Rogers Rangers F&I
Booshway 2021Thundercreek Rendevous

Offline Silver Creek Slim

• Buckaroo
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 2329
  • GAF #: 144
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 104
Re: Finally.....
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2022, 07:34:51 AM »
Congrats.

Slim
NCOWS 2329, WartHog, SCORRS, SBSS, BHR, GAF, RBCS, Dirty RATS, BTBM, IPSAC, Cosie-in-training
I love the smell of Black Powder in the morning!

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 416
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2022, 08:08:41 AM »
Indeed, nice , what's the 1911 ?

Here are some labels to go with your impression
when planets align...do the deal !

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:28:22 AM »

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2022, 09:01:44 AM »
Congrats too. Good luck on your WW1 match. Hoping to try my bolt guns, ‘03-Krag-Swede, at a local Garand club’s monthly this fall too. I would suggest that you drum up some support for shooting a BAMM, bolt action military match at your local cas club. We shoot ours alongside cas shooters at our monthly shoots. The only difference is the BAMM rifle targets are farther out than the cas rifle plus you can use 1911s with 5 rd only mags or fixed sight DA revolvers so that handgun targets are the same for all. Sg targets are the same too. Lead ammo of course. They are a hoot. This is me running my Krag constabulary rifle, revolvers are .38 spcl Colt New Services. Remember the Maine.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Robert Swartz

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2022, 10:17:42 AM »
....thanks guys. I'll have to download the labels on the wife's laptop. This Kindle is picky on what it will and won't print. B. Ed, we've bandied a BAMM shoot a the monthly club matches. It's only been shot by one of the older club members as a trial. Pretty sure it will be brought up at the yearly meeting.

...the 1911 is one of the new TISAS guns. Bought it as a Rural King special.
"Copperhead Bob"
GAF# 892

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 416
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2022, 10:37:19 AM »
....thanks guys. I'll have to download the labels on the wife's laptop. This Kindle is picky on what it will and won't print. B. Ed, we've bandied a BAMM shoot a the monthly club matches. It's only been shot by one of the older club members as a trial. Pretty sure it will be brought up at the yearly meeting.

...the 1911 is one of the new TISAS guns. Bought it as a Rural King special.

Classic Firearms has those in stock again, they get a good review.

https://www.classicfirearms.com/sds-imports-1911-a1-government/?trk_msg=8AK6FMJ2DOG49E747GJU0IPJJO&trk_contact=NCAVJGNEJE9SOM4J7B5233H5NK&trk_module=bna&trk_sid=N4HIS4DSCNEKM0T9INM2J5VOK8&trk_link=EL1MUCQFMUK4L55CMUBIC7HGR0
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2022, 10:45:02 AM »
Sounds good. We’ve done them with one [using 5 shot mags] 1911 or two da/sa revolvers depending on what the match director wants. Usually do 3-4 a year. As extra targets are used we wait till it’s cooler to wrestle the extra steel. As long as the cas shooters are not inconvenienced I don’t see a problem. But your club may be too hardline to try something different. Allow for longer scenario times as 10 round BAMM shooters will take longer than cas levergun shooters. May the SASS/CAS gods forgive us but we also allow Model 12s at times too. But I’ve never gotten hit by lightning….yet. Give me a holler if I can help.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline Robert Swartz

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2022, 08:26:27 AM »
....Ed, yeah, there is some resistance within our NCOWS group. One member even vocally complained that some of us were trying to turn them into a military group? What's funny, our group has a BP class for single shot rifles. It consists of a rifle, one pistol that can be cartridge or cap&ball and a shotgun.  There was a lot of grumbling when Tod Lane and I started bringing our Trapdoors to shoot it.  We only shoot 5-5-2 and our times are no worse than the average shooters. What was proposed for our version of a BAMM shoot was a bolt action rifle and one revolver. Semi autos weren't discussed. The idea was to shoot all 10 rifle targets and 5 pistol. I believe Dewayne (Liebrandt) tried it at one of our summer matches. I didn't shoot at all in June or July so, I never asked him about it at this last shoot. Too busy harassing each other over other things, lol. The group year end meeting is coming up in November. This should be discussed.
"Copperhead Bob"
GAF# 892

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2022, 03:49:51 PM »
As long as you’re dressed in a reasonably correct Spanish American War uniform or Punitive Expedition uniform I would think you would be ok. Dressed as a WW1 Doughboy might be problematic. Try calling it a Teddy Roosevelt or Black Jack Pershing Match. Might ruffle fewer historical feathers. I proposed a military category to the powers that be at sass many years ago with no interest. Good luck on your proposal.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline Whitehorse Lane

• Active citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3971
  • GAF #: 891
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2022, 07:44:55 PM »
.....got my hands on an 1903 Springfield! Slowly getting the gear together for an pre WW1 match. Maybe someday I may even make it to a match outside our local club.

Old gun shot good no more than we fired it. And the TISA 1911 is going to be hard to beat, especially for th price. If I didn't already have a 1911 I'd have been all over that Rural King deal myself !
Looking forward to the October Skirmish
White Horse Lane
Commander 9th Kentucky Cavalry (Retired)
GAF #891
NCOW #3971

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2022, 11:52:51 PM »
....Ed, yeah, there is some resistance within our NCOWS group. One member even vocally complained that some of us were trying to turn them into a military group? What's funny, our group has a BP class for single shot rifles. It consists of a rifle, one pistol that can be cartridge or cap&ball and a shotgun.  There was a lot of grumbling when Tod Lane and I started bringing our Trapdoors to shoot it.  We only shoot 5-5-2 and our times are no worse than the average shooters. What was proposed for our version of a BAMM shoot was a bolt action rifle and one revolver. Semi autos weren't discussed. The idea was to shoot all 10 rifle targets and 5 pistol. I believe Dewayne (Liebrandt) tried it at one of our summer matches. I didn't shoot at all in June or July so, I never asked him about it at this last shoot. Too busy harassing each other over other things, lol. The group year end meeting is coming up in November. This should be discussed.

If your firearms can be documented to the 1865-99 timeframe and are loaded to NCOWS safety standards, there should be no problem. There were many occupations within the era that would make use of many different kinds of firearms. (Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe there WAS military during the period  .  .  .)
You'd be limited to bolt actions manufactured and known to be used on the North American Frontier between 1865-99. A rare critter indeed. My favorite would be the Vetterli 1869/71.
But where the rub rests is having to consider that the By-Laws state with every shooting class a "pistol caliber" rifle be used, or loaded down to approved velocities.

is it a case that they don't think it would be fair to compete with a lever gun against a bolt action, or that using a single shot military longarm would slow up a posse shooting a match, or rounds would cause target damage? Rounds, as mentioned, could be loaded down to be within NCOWS approved velocities using lead bullets.
What seems to be their reason for the complaint? It couldn't be just a resistance to Military impressions.

Also, this might be good to cross-post in the NCOWS Forum, too, to get NCOWS membership input.

"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 95
« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2022, 08:50:23 AM »
I am all for the oddities in shooting and timing be damned.   My first experience with SASS was at a local club in 1995 or 96.   I arrived with the only two firearms I owned, an 1860 colt army and a henry rifle.(I still shoot both).   Guy saw me pulling them out, launched into a foul mouth tirade about me slowing it down and taking all day.  Weather was pleasant and I thought it was supposed to be fun.   Well, I quickly became unpleasant, replied in an equally foul mouth tirade, mentioned the horse he rode in on and packed up, not shooting (he had a group around him agreeing with him, so it was not just one.)   I did not go to a SASS match again until 2021, then flipped out at how close things were and swore some people were using automatic weapons.

Tirade done, but I say if it is 1899 and before you should have fun with it at NCOWS or GAF, safety and target damage being the caveat.   Congrats on the "new" guns!

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2022, 11:35:28 AM »
I would think an early Krag would be ok time wise with lead ammo loaded light. I also have several .38 heel base DA Colt revolvers that were also built in the 1890s. But you know how persnickety those cas folks can be about having the ‘proper’ guns sometimes.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline Robert Swartz

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2022, 04:32:14 PM »
.....the situation isn't that dire. After all, we do regularly shoot BP single shot rifles. We do get at least 30 shooters at our CAS shoots. Of which at least 4-5 are single shots. We also get a few cap & ball pistol shooters.We use the same targets for our GAF shoots. We haven't blown up any targets yet. I have never been to a SASS shoot. NCOWS seems a lot more free in allowing different and diverse types of firearms. Personally, I have no issue with anyone in the club.
"Copperhead Bob"
GAF# 892

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com