Author Topic: Race Ready TTN Coach Gun- Who Sells?  (Read 19868 times)

Offline BiGStick

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Race Ready TTN Coach Gun- Who Sells?
« on: May 09, 2011, 11:19:59 PM »
Hi Folks,
Got some great responses on my original post. Just picked up a matched set of Ruger SASS Vaqueros- Very Happy :)

My next is going to be the shotgun. I was wanting to get an 1887 Lever action and actually sent an Email to Coyote Cap to order one, but that was over a month ago and he has yet to reply. I even called to confirm he received it, and he confirmed, but no communication since. Oh well, I guess he's too busy.

So I've reconsidered and am now looking at hammered doubles. The TTN seems to get excellent reviews, so I guess I'll go there. It seems Cody & Longhunter dont carry them, so who else sells a Race-Ready / 'Tuned' TTN? The only vendor I've found so far is Evil Roy.
Any others?

What are the main things 'tuning-wise' to be done on a coach gun?
Thanks!
-Mark
A.k.A. Shameless Shamus MacAlpin

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
Re: Race Ready TTN Coach Gun- Who Sells?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2011, 11:54:17 PM »
TTN has not been an importer for years.  Right now there are none or virtually no 1878 Colt Clones (which is what the TTN was) in any distributor inventories.  At the Shot Show in February the Cimmarron reps said they had located some in China and were hoping to import another batch but I don't think any have arrived.  It's not a matter of "not carrying them," its a matter of there aren't any right now.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 423
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2011, 05:44:06 AM »
It is true, The 1878 Colt clone is scarce , a check with EMF,Taylor's & Cimarron showed they out of stock...
They pop up used.

I'm glad I bought mine back when Walt Johnson had TTn, He is with EMF now or last I heard.

"What are the main things 'tuning-wise' to be done on a coach gun"

On mine Walt installed lighter mainsprings and larger bead sight (this was SOP as Walt did it to all 1878 guns out of TTN at the time
, He even offered Color CH'ing for short while) ..beyond that I don't have any knowledge of Tuning work needed.
Out of the box mine was fine,  shucked AA Cleanshot reloads just fine.

when planets align...do the deal !

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:25:14 AM »

Offline BiGStick

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2011, 12:49:23 PM »
Okay, just to clarify...
Is the TTN 1878 clone the same shotgun imported & sold by Cimmaron? If so, I'm gonna grab the first one I see. If not, differences? Which is the better quality replica?
Thanks!

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2011, 02:22:50 PM »
TNN, EMF, Cimmarron and Taylor all offered the 1878.  (All the same Chinese made gun.)  Problem is no one has any right now.  Local shop had two 26" barreled Cimmarrons that sat in the racks a long time.  People finally gave up waiting for the 20" coach gun and bought them and cut them down.  I haven't seen a new 1878 in a shop of large gun show for over a year.

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2011, 04:47:46 PM »
There's a gun shop down here that has a Cimarron 20" or did Saturday...a little stout $$$ wise though.
I'd have bought a 26" had I found one and added it to my battery with my 20"

I've had my 20" since 04... I really like it

Offline Holden A. Grudge

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 06:07:02 PM »
I was lucky and found a cimarron TTN coach gun at my local sportsman's warehouse.  As far as action jobs go, it hasn't needed a thing.  I heard somewhere that the newer ones had better springs so maybe I got one of those.  The hammers are easy to cock and shells shuck with no problems at all. 

The only thing I did do was grind off the nasty little barbs on the hammers (this after they split my hand wide open at least twice) but other than that the gun works like a champ with nothing done to it.

Offline bowiemaker

• Maker of sharp pointy things
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Carter Custom Knives
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 01:55:47 AM »
I am looking for a Cimarron Coach Gun too. If anybody knows of any available I would appreciate a shout.

If the Cimarrons cannot be found, what do you guys think of the Stoeger hammerless coach gun in comparison?
NCOWS #3405   RATS #612

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 09:25:47 AM »
Oakridge Gun & indoor Range Orlando Fl. had one back in May.
I have not been in since so I can't say, as to now

Listed Price was about $520 I think, Its not that far from my work 20 ,
if you like I could swing by and Check.

Offline rickk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2011, 09:06:05 AM »
bowiemaker,

I have two Stoeger coach guns and they both work fine. They are both the deluxe version with the double trigger and stainless steel receiver. The deluxe version, besides being available with a stainless receiver, also comes with a very functional rubber butt pad. If you buy the standard one without a rubber pad, you will probably be thinking about a rubber pad addition right quick.

I did for a brief period of time have a single trigger model. It fired both barrels every time I pulled the trigger... not most of the time, but every time. That seems to be a common issue with them. It went back to Stoeger twice. They finally told me that it was not the gun, but it was the way I pulled the trigger. They swapped it out for a double trigger model (which is why I now have two of them).  I also own an old (1937) Ithaca with a single trigger and it works just fine - meaning that it is possible to make a single trigger SxS that works for me.

Anyway, I would suggest the double trigger model if you are thinking the Stoeger.  Also, consider the deluxe version with the rubber butt pad. The stainless receiver is a nice plus if you shoot BP in it.

Rick

Offline bowiemaker

• Maker of sharp pointy things
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Carter Custom Knives
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2011, 10:40:14 AM »
I looked at the stainless and the rubber pad on the Stoegers. I like those features but would they be period correct for NCOWS?
NCOWS #3405   RATS #612

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2011, 12:55:35 PM »
I sit on the NCOWs Authenticity Committy...to answer your question
out of hand...

No & No ( however if you could show Provadance of Nickle plated receiver and it mimic that = perhaps )

same for the thick Rubber butt ( Rubber Butts with white borded line are not approved for NCOWS)

Offline rickk

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2011, 04:21:02 PM »
I don't know much about NCOWS but there is no white plastic spacer in the Stoeger Supreme... just black rubber against wood. Nor does it have a vented rib. That being said, it is not on the "Unapproved List".

The stainless receiver is polished (nickle-like), so it does not fall astray of the no matt or brushed finished rule, but again, I don't know much about NCOWS, so I defer to Major 2.

There is also a genuine nickle barrel / receiver combo version available, but to me it just looks like too much poser shiney-ness to nickle plate the barrel. If all that fails, there is a Supreme version with blued steel everything, a thick rubber butt pad, and once again no white plastic spacer.

I forgot to mention that the Supreme version has screw in internal chokes as well, whereas the regular version is IC & M fixed only.

Rick

Offline Cutter Carl

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2011, 11:28:32 AM »
According to the July SASS Chronicle, EMF is going to have the '78 back in stock this fall.  It says it will be a new, improved quality model.
NCOWS #3053
SASS #79783
Cracker Cow Cavalry - Florida's 1st NCOWS Posse
CCC - Marshall
Eagle Scout 1980

Offline Pancho Peacemaker

• NCOWS Texican Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3120, SASS #75813
    • Pancho's Videos
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2012, 01:19:04 PM »
Just this week, Cimarron started shipping that last batch of "TTN" 1878 scatterguns.  The have 20" and 26" barrels shipping.  From what Ive heard, this is the last batch imported.  I checked my local Cimmarron dealer and he has 5 on the rack. 
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

Offline longinosoap

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2012, 10:12:35 AM »
Got an e-mail on Aug 6. Texas Jacks has the 20" for $574.60 and the 26" for 594.10. Better order soon.

JohnsonBarr

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2012, 02:25:19 PM »
A new batch of Cimarron 1878's has arrived in country. Check with 3B Shooting Supply
and my freind Bryan Buck. If you want them slicked, he can do that work as well. My
engraved color case frame came out of the box smooth as silk. Good for back work. -J.Barr

Offline Pancho Peacemaker

• NCOWS Texican Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3120, SASS #75813
    • Pancho's Videos
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2012, 06:30:39 PM »
A new batch of Cimarron 1878's has arrived in country. Check with 3B Shooting Supply
and my freind Bryan Buck. If you want them slicked, he can do that work as well. My
engraved color case frame came out of the box smooth as silk. Good for back work. -J.Barr

So you are the lucky duck that got the engraved one.   Cant wait to see it. 

NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

Offline RickB

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Black Jack
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2012, 06:33:25 PM »
I have a SXS with exposed hammers that I use quite a bit for NCOWS events and it only cost around $250.00.

It's a 20 guage and it doesn't have a rubber pad for the butt of the gun. The butt stock has a metal plate on the back instead of a rubber pad. I've used mine for a few years now and I have never had a problem. It's well made and goes bang when I need it to.

It's a well made gun and it's a Chinese made one. I think it was imported by Century Arms. It was a Christmas present from my wife but I found it, picked it out and told her what I wanted. They sell them at Dunham's Sporting goods at a near by mall here in Des Moines. I've included a picture I snatched from a web site advert. It gives a picture of the gun and the model number in case you are interested. I've got nothing but good things to say about the gun.
Ride Safe and Shoot Straight.
Rick.

Offline RickB

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Black Jack
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2012, 06:42:51 PM »
Here is a site that shows the same gun. Looks like they have them in stock and at the same price I bought mine for.

http://www.championfirearms.com/Century-Arms-12-Gauge-Coach-Gun-p/centsg1090n.htm
Ride Safe and Shoot Straight.
Rick.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com