Special Interests - Groups & Societies > The Winchester Model 1876

Anyone loading .45-75 with Pyrodex?

(1/2) > >>

Hobie:
I haven't read where anyone is using Pyrodex.  If you are would you post?  If you're not, why not?

I haven't gotten to it yet.   :-[

Hobie:
Let me add that non-fireformed cases have a capacity of 43 gr. (by weight) of Pyrodex RS settled by vibration or drop-tube to allow for slight compression with a seated bullet.  I don't use or have 777 because of my belief that 777 can have untoward pressure spikes.   ;)

Grizzly Adams:

--- Quote from: Hobie on December 06, 2007, 08:33:13 PM ---Let me add that non-fireformed cases have a capacity of 43 gr. (by weight) of Pyrodex RS settled by vibration or drop-tube to allow for slight compression with a seated bullet.  I don't use or have 777 because of my belief that 777 can have untoward pressure spikes.   ;)

--- End quote ---

I agree, that 777 can produce pressure spikes way beyond what I want to see in these rifles, or in traditional BP designs in general.  777 was developed for use in modern in-line muzzle loaders.  Too hot for me!

Goex Pinnacle is my sub of choice. :)

Advertising:

Hobie:
Ok, I suppose I should not have been sarcastic.  It happens even to me.  I believe and have seen that 777 sometimes has attained some unexpected peak pressures and that the pressure curve isn't necessarily appropriate to the cartridge.  I believe also, that it is temperature sensitive and creates some untoward phenomenon.  Dittos TrailBoss which was also recommended. 

I am not familiar with Pinnacle but do know a bit about Pyrodex.  I'm not surprised that some users of BP subs are looking for smokeless powder residue characteristics and not simply a easily obtainable sub for what can be a hard (perhaps inconvenient is a better word) to acquire BP. 

Buffboy:
As you know Hobie, I started with smokeless (4198 and CoW data) and had pretty dismal results. I then just dumped as much Pyrodex P as I could get in the case of my Starline 45-70 cases converted to 40-60(35.5 gr IIRC). There was about 1/4" of compression. The results were very good. Consistent, accurate, and the velocities right in line with expectations. Cleanup wasn't really a problem. In fact I've found that my smokeless load makes more difficult cleaning :-\. I don't think you could get enough Pyrodex in the case without damaging the case or the bullet from compression to hurt the firearm.

Since, I've come up with a load at about the same velocity with 3031(about 50fps faster) that shoots real well.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version