Special Interests - Groups & Societies > The Winchester Model 1876

1876win, 45-75 in a long range shoot ??

(1/4) > >>

Marshal Deadwood:
Now guys,,we don't have long ranges out here in Va like ya'll do in New Mexico !,,,most of ours are shoots at 200 yards,,ONE range only has a 400 yarder for the bp cartridge,,,

so,,with that part in mind,,,would the '76win in 45-75 double as a bp cartridge match gun,,,,aside from a hunting gun also ?

Just muzin' and ponderin' here guys... between the two,,hi/wall 45-90 or '76win 45-75 ?

I think the '76 would be a more convient huntin' rifle....

be honest,,brutally honest..

Marshal Deadwood

gw:
Marshal----The 1876 in 45-75 (or any caliber)  won't ever be a match grade cartridge rifle. That said, it would be ok at 200-300 yards for a real big plinker(big steel gongs etc.) The Hi-Wall would have a big advantage here.
   For hunting, within reasonable range, either rifle would work, the '76 having the advantage of a quick followup shot if needed. Weightwise, there won't be much difference depending on the barrel length and weight of the Hi-Wall. Sounds to me like you need to buy both of these rifles for two different purposes! ;D

Marshal Deadwood:
Ooops,,,I knew it wouldn't be a main match gun, I have a '73win for that.

Just doin' some muzin' here on the others....

The 45-90 hi/wall seems a good choice,,,but iv been warned of sevear recoil. I'v hunted with '06s, 270s , 7mm mags, 300weatherbeys,,,,would the hi/wall in 45-90 thump more than that ? I'v never been to shy about recoil,,,but would avoid it were it lethal !!  Would the hi/wall be a good bp cartridge competition rifle for 500 yds or less ? How do they rate in competition with a Sharps ?

Thanks gents,,,Just muddlin' thur this like a drunk monkey with a bag over its head,,,

and of course, I know neither are 'main match' guns,,,,I should said earlier,,sorry. Our guys have bp cartridge long range shoots is what I was considering. Well, long range if you guys out west consider 300 yards long ! Here in the mts, we'd have to have one that would shoot around a hill to EVER get 800 or 1000 yards LOL

Marshal Deadwood

Advertising:

Sir Charles deMouton-Black:
The Mounties used the '76 Carbine in matches up to 600 yards.  Of course, with a military style ladder sight.  Apparently the Winchesters held their own on the range, even after the Lee-Metford cavalry carbine was beginning to be issued.

The movie TOM HORN showed the actor using a '76 rifle with a tang sight to shoot the boy he hung for.

Marshal Deadwood:
Sir Charles,,,,I think indeed Tom Horn used a '76 win.... not sure the calibre of his rifle though,,,,

Marshal Deadwood

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version