Author Topic: Current WB Rules/Equipment  (Read 12529 times)

Offline hp246

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Current WB Rules/Equipment
« on: August 16, 2019, 09:45:25 PM »
Haven't shot WB in several years.  Since I last shot WB, the rules regarding magazine capacity and magazine pads has changed.  Am going to shot a 5 stage match at the states coming up in a couple weeks.  Wondering how many rounds and how many magazines I will need.  Any other new rule changes I need to be up to speed on?  Thanks.  Sarge.

Offline August

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
Re: Current WB Rules/Equipment
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2019, 09:34:29 AM »
A little technical difficulty.  Sorry about that.

Here is a link to the official rules.  Seven rounds in magazines has been the law of the land for a couple years now.

https://www.sassnet.com/Downloads/SASS%20WILD%20BUNCH%20Action%20Shooting%20Handbook%20Vers%2012.2%20111218.pdf

The new "bumper pad" standard is explained here:  https://www.sassnet.com/wildbunch/forum/index.php?topic=2688.0

The evolving "standard" is to average 28 pistol rounds per stage, but that can differ greatly depending on the match director's mood.

So, most stages will be accomplished with five magazines (4 plus one for back-up).  But, again, it varies widely.  42 round stages are not uncommon.  I carry five magazines to the line for most stages, but sometimes have to carry more.  They get pretty heavy when loaded, so I always try to carry the number of magazines for the course of fire plus one more just in case (remember, one is in the gun to start).  It depends on how dependably your 1911 runs how much of a cushion you'll need.  Another way to ballpark it is to say I take eight magazines to every club match and have eight pouches on my rig -- but I rarely use all of them.

Hope this helps.

Offline hp246

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2019, 11:11:36 AM »
Thank you.  I appreciate the information.  That should provide me with the information I need to plan for the upcoming match.  I knew there was a new rule concerning magazine pads.  I wasn't sure if there were any other rules that came out at the same time.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:35:01 PM »

Offline August

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2019, 11:16:31 AM »
We've not yet seen anyone availing themselves of the new "magazine pad" accommodation.  It was instituted because people were complaining about cutting/bruising their hands when operating their 1911.  You can imagine what the veteran shooters think about that.

Offline hp246

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2019, 11:37:26 AM »
I thought maybe the rule change was more related to the cost of good 1911 mags and trying to prevent damage to them.  Didn't know it was from an injury standpoint.  I'm sure as with SASS and CAS the competitors will look for every bit of advantage they can find.  PS  who is SASS # 4 and where is WR held? 

Offline August

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2019, 11:43:31 AM »
SASS #4 is "Tex" -- the emeritus ramrod of SASS.  Still a strong voice in deciding rules for competition.

Winter Range is held at Ben Avery Shooting Facility, which is a few miles North of Phoenix, Arizona.  One of the few, premier ranges in the country.

Here is a link to the Winter Range web site:  http://www.winterrange.com

Offline hp246

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2019, 12:11:32 PM »
Thanks.

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2019, 08:38:53 PM »
Leather bumper pads? Ridiculous idea. I?ve reloaded my 1911?s a million times [i know I?m slightly exaggerating] over the years and my only complaint was the lanyard rings on some of my repro mags, but I?ve never cut myself. And if I did so what. Can?t imagine tough Wild Bunch shooters shooting their big 1911?s [with power factor rated ammo no less] hurting themselves reloading their trusty .45?s. If the corner or edge is an issue hit it with a whetstone and some touch up blue, don?t need to do anything if it?s s/s just break the edge. Da. Is this an only modern or traditional rule? And with the 7 rd mag rule we even reload the gun less. I guess that those 2 extra rds make the mag heavier and harder to manipulate somehow so folks are ?hurting? their heel of their hand? Sounds gamey to me. I just don?t know.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2019, 09:01:34 PM »
Ed, what I've noticed with the increase to 7 rounds in mag is just more rounds shot with same number of mag changes.  Makes it a little harder for me to keep up with reloading.  Gotta agree with the leather bumper thing, does seem pretty gamey/wussifying.

hp246, another change has been tactical reloads are now legal.  And Model 12 shotguns have been legal for a while now, you might already know that.

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2019, 09:49:18 PM »
Afraid I haven?t shot a match with the 7 rd rule yet. I?ll have to break down and go back to the small dedicated WB match that I had been attending. The range was so small and targets were so close I stopped attending. Too easy imo, kept coming in second to the scorekeeper. Our match creator at ECSASS does our WB and regular cas monthly matches so they can be shot simultaneously. Cas shooters use their 2 sa revolvers as usual while WB shooters use their 1911s and reload for 15-20rds using the cas 5 target pistol arrays. Rifle and sg targets are shot the same but WB shooters load the sg at the loading table. I just assumed that fewer mag changes for about the same rd count would speed things up, 4mags x5=20 while 3mags x7 = 21. But is my homebuilt model 12 trench gun legal? I don?t see why not.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2019, 10:16:25 AM »
Just got the email that my cas club?s match Saturday will include a WB category, don?t know if it will involve extra mags or just the 2 x 5 rd mags and be shot like the SA shooters. Will be fun either way. Thinking that I?ll wear my Tim Strawn outfit with my silver nose and nickeled .45. Ain?t I cute, matches my nose too!
"Give'em hell, Pike"

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2019, 11:52:29 AM »
Does the nose get hot in the sun?

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2019, 05:01:05 PM »
Not particularly but the all black outfit is warmish.
"Give'em hell, Pike"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com