Author Topic: '51 Navy Barrel Question  (Read 8013 times)

Offline Standpat Steve

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
'51 Navy Barrel Question
« on: March 21, 2004, 12:25:50 PM »
A shooting partner has a Euroarms 1851 Navy reproduction with an oversize bore. We found that my Pietta barrel fits his frame and shoots better. In Brownells they sell a Uberti 1851 Navy barrel, but we don't know if it would be interchangeable on the Euroarms frame. Anybody know if this would work? Or a source for a Pietta barrel? He wants to use it with a conversion cylinder.
Thanks;

Standpat Steve, SASS #113, Calif.
Standpat Steve, SASS #113, NCOWS #1468

Offline Shiloh Sharpie

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
Re: '51 Navy Barrel Question
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2004, 04:54:38 PM »
I do not know the specifics, but suggest rather than speculate on barrel dimensions you slug the bore of a Euroaema and Pietta to see if they are a different dimension.  No use guessing, and gently hammering a ball down the barrels should be easy enough.
Shiloh Sharpie
SASS 10477 Life
-------------------------------------------------------
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on.  I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them.

Offline Cuts Crooked

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2004, 08:06:25 PM »
Depending on the cost of the new barrel assembly, you might suggest to your pard that he look into having his existing barrel sleeved. This would leave the gun in basically original condition, and it's not a difficult job for a smith to do. In long run it may be cheaper than purchasing a new barrel assembly that may not be anywhere near specs for that frame, and may require professional assistance to get it to work...if it will work at all.
Warthog
Bold
Scorrs
Storm
Dark Lord of the Soot
Honorary member of the Mormon Posse
NCOWS #2250
SASS #36914
...work like you don't need the money, love like you've never been hurt, and dance like you do when nobody is watching..

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:32:32 PM »

Offline Standpat Steve

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2004, 08:35:52 PM »
We had not really considered a sleeve, but maybe we should! We did decide that a real gunsmith probably was needed to set the new barrel in proper. Specially if we wanted the front sight to end up on top  ;D

Offline Howdy Doody

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2004, 11:27:48 PM »
I wonder if VTI would have a barrel for it, brand new. They do for uberti and piettas. hmmmmm.
yer pard,
Howdy Doody
Notorious BP shooter

Offline Cheyenne

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2004, 11:50:23 AM »
Curious what the 'oversize' bore is....should nominally be .375.

If Pietta barrel fits it, that's what you should use as the Uberti and Pietta are made to different specs......Uberti is made to actual Colt specs while Pietta is made to some they got from lord knows where.  generally parts do not interchange from these two.

VTI is the best source for parts for both and are very knowledgeable, i would contact them and see if they can point you in the correct direstion.
Well..........Bye!

Offline Standpat Steve

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2004, 11:53:41 PM »
I'll ask my friend to slug the two barrels in question, if he can. I learned the other day that the .375 bore measurement is to the outside of the grooves, while modern measurements are to the inside of the lands (hope I said that right).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com