Author Topic: 2017 GAF Grand Muster--150th Anniversary Red Cloud's War  (Read 36204 times)

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
Re: 2017 GAF Grand Muster--150th Anniversary Red Cloud's War
« Reply #40 on: October 14, 2016, 08:48:17 AM »
Broken Nose Scotty has a good point.

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Good Troy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 98102
  • NCOWS #: 3791
  • GAF #: 835
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 23
« Reply #41 on: October 14, 2016, 09:03:18 AM »
I am rather vain, but I don't miind my gray hair at all.  Apparently, nobody is believing the objective is to get dark/black hair such as the native americans.  I think that I will now put down the shovel and quit digging.  The hole is pretty deep now... ::)
Good Troy
AKA Dechali, and Has No Horses
SASS#98102
GAF#835
NCOWS#3791
SSS#638

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #42 on: October 14, 2016, 11:11:14 AM »
Apparently, nobody is believing the objective is to get dark/black hair such as the native americans.

I say it's your body and you should be free to treat it however you want.

And you know, you could be an adopted tribe member kidnapped in youth . . .

RCJ
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Advertising

« Reply #43 on: Today at 04:43:05 PM »

Offline Good Troy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #43 on: October 14, 2016, 11:28:08 AM »
I say it's your body and you should be free to treat it however you want.

And you know, you could be an adopted tribe member kidnapped in youth . . .

RCJ

Wise words, RCJ!  I like the adopted angle, would make for a good and believable back story.

Honestly, I'm not too happy with the dye.   Though the color looks natural, the fact that my hair is all one color doesn't look natural.  It will wear off in about 4 to 6 weeks, and right now, I'm not considering doing it again.  Guess I'll be a half-breed or adopted tribesman...and in reality, I am part breed.  My mother's mothers' father was said to be Seminole.  My research is indicating that he may have been Chickasaw.  Either way, he was part of the 5 civilized tribes.  I'll keep going with my research and hopefully, I'll have some more conclusive information in the future.

My apologies for hi-jacking the thread...
Good Troy
SASS#98102
GAF#835
NCOWS#3791
SSS#638

1961MJS

« Reply #44 on: October 14, 2016, 11:33:43 AM »
Hi Y'all

So, Grand Daddy Harv was bald, used the Norelco on everything above the collar bones every morning.  I have Pictures of Dad in WW2, his hair receded an inch in 42, 43, 44, and 45 ending in a comb over.  I have a full head or hair so far, and mine is just glad to be here.  In order to have a hair color, you have to have hair and gray is a hair color.  

The beard coloring products definitely colored my beard years ago, but the color didn't seem to be one that occurred in nature.

I put in for vacation for Muster back in at least August.

Later

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2016, 11:36:44 AM »
I put in for vacation for Muster back in at least August.
Awesome! It'll be great to have you!
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline ira scott

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • AKA: Broken Nose Scotty
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 59
« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2016, 11:49:34 AM »
According to my admittedly very quick research, it doesn't seem that there were conversion cylinders available for C&B revolvers until 1868, the first one being a .46 rimfire for the 58 Remington. Spare loaded/uncapped cylinders for an 1858 Remmy would seem to be the quickest reload option for a revolver in use in 1866. Was there a standard issue sidearm in 1866 for a horse soldier, Dragoon? 1860 Army?
It is far better to remain silent, and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt!

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2016, 12:00:29 PM »
I believe the Army had, more or less, standardized on the 1860 Army and what we refer to as the 1858 Remington.  I believe there were still some '51 Navies still in service, as well, but the Army preferred the .44's.    I'm sure there were still some Dragoons floating around, as well.  Firearms technology was evolving rapidly at the time.
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2016, 01:31:40 PM »
On another note, will the 2017 skirmish be cap and ball friendly? My thinking is that 51 navies and 1860 armies would be the most historically accurate for 1866
Don't expect a stage like water carrier ravine this year. You could probably use cap and balls without too much problem
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Ol Gabe

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2016, 02:15:47 PM »
Just a passing observation...
Hurricane, if it is the brew canned in "By God, Texas!", has 8% good stuff in it over the normal, or as some say, regular brewskies 3%. Hurricane also is the same or near-same recipe for what us oldsters from the 60's (read last century) called malt liquor, the small can with a Bull on it. Hurricane has a solid flavor and is enjoyed from the Gulf Coast up North through the Corn Belt here in Ioway. It has taken a while for it to become as popular as the old brands from the 60's but local consumers have been buying multiple cases to keep the economy going upward, so far so good! It takes a real positive attitude to consume a case a week but somebody has to do it, so there!
Congrats on your new job Del, I can just see the local grandmas stopping in to get a gallon of milk and leaving with a smile and 4 new recipes, HAH!
Best regards and don't drink and drive after a few Hurricanes or you'll be thinking off-road and hollering "Here, hold my beer and watch this!"
'Ol Gabe

Offline Blair

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #50 on: October 14, 2016, 03:13:38 PM »
Several friends of mine use to do a "White Indian" impression for reenactments and living history events from the F&I Wars into the early Federalist time period. Their impressions were great!
A major aid was adopting a hair style for the native American tribe that had taken then in. Most of these were Eastern tribes, and that hair style could vary greatly. To the point of shaving most of, if not part, the hair off their heads.
I don't recall them dying their hair if it were lightly colored. They weren't playing Native Americans but rather captives raised by the Indians. However, they did use body paint in the style and colors for that tribe. All of this was well documented.
My best.
 Blair
A Time for Prayer.
"In times of war and not before,
God and the soldier we adore.
But in times of peace and all things right,
God is forgotten and the soldier slighted"
by Rudyard Kipling.
Blair Taylor
Life-C 21

Offline Good Troy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #51 on: October 14, 2016, 05:40:13 PM »
Thanks Blair...wish I'd have thought about this before the dye job!

Scotty, as for C&B pistols, how about a Remington with spare cylinders?  I'm considering this route, but may need a pack mule for the spare cylinders if my revolver shooting doesn't improve over last muster!
Good Troy
SASS#98102
GAF#835
NCOWS#3791
SSS#638

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #52 on: October 14, 2016, 07:49:40 PM »
Just a passing observation...
Hurricane, if it is the brew canned in "By God, Texas!", has 8% good stuff in it over the normal, or as some say, regular brewskies 3%. Hurricane also is the same or near-same recipe for what us oldsters from the 60's (read last century) called malt liquor, the small can with a Bull on it. Hurricane has a solid flavor and is enjoyed from the Gulf Coast up North through the Corn Belt here in Ioway. It has taken a while for it to become as popular as the old brands from the 60's but local consumers have been buying multiple cases to keep the economy going upward, so far so good! It takes a real positive attitude to consume a case a week but somebody has to do it, so there!
Congrats on your new job Del, I can just see the local grandmas stopping in to get a gallon of milk and leaving with a smile and 4 new recipes, HAH!
Best regards and don't drink and drive after a few Hurricanes or you'll be thinking off-road and hollering "Here, hold my beer and watch this!"
'Ol Gabe

No worries about me drinking any more, gave it up years ago, the ICE stuff has been slushed and the slush removed to do the same, old German idea.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #53 on: October 14, 2016, 07:52:26 PM »
Milwaukee's Best Ice  there is reason it's  $.99 ...  it is malodorous ...read stinks .... if one can get by the putrid smell , it is like Schlitz
will leave you with a sick headache ...it is cheap drunk though. 

I haven't seen Hurricane Malt down here ...though I don't really pay that much attention.

I have friend & ex coworker  , that got into Micro Brewing as a hobby ..now he is has changed his career ...and is a Lager & Ale Distributer for Shipyard and other malts.

Well you could join some of them for Paul Masson brandy and a Tropical Fusion Swisher, 2 shot bottles and a 2 pack of seegars will set you back about $3.25, tax included. ;D
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline pony express

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #54 on: October 14, 2016, 08:02:02 PM »
The beard coloring products definitely colored my beard years ago, but the color didn't seem to be one that occurred in nature.

Unfortunately, although my hair is pretty evenly "Salt & Pepper", the beard/mustache is pretty much just salt. If I could get some salt & pepper beard color, it might make me a more believable Foreign Legionnaire. Or 1914 Sailor. Or pretty much anything in uniform. ;D

Offline ira scott

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • AKA: Broken Nose Scotty
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 59
« Reply #55 on: October 14, 2016, 09:19:24 PM »
Troy, I think the Remington would be good with spare cylinders, but would it be as good as SPARE GUNS? Pull a Josie Wales on Red Clouds boys!
It is far better to remain silent, and be thought a fool, than to speak and remove all doubt!

Offline Bat 2919

• G Man / Bat Masterson
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Sand Creek Raiders
  • Liked:
« Reply #56 on: October 15, 2016, 09:45:43 AM »
Never had mine dyed or permed, never will.   I did get it cut just before the muster, should need it cut before the 2018 one again.

Driving me crazy, needs to grow out a little more so I can tie the back, new job don't allow hats or bandannas. 

Working in a Qwik-Shop in the poor part of town, and loving it, the people are fantastic, almost every color and creed, except few of the Yuppie folks, glad of that.   Been told many times I'm now part of the hood, they all know my name. 

Need to bring you guys something called Milwaukee's Best Ice or the one called Hurricane, must be good stuff, sell lots of it and it's only 99 cents for a 24 Oz can.   

Del,

I've been working in "the hood" for the last 25 years and Malt Liquor in one container or another has always been very popular.  The 40 Oz. bottle of Old English (O E is the most poplar around here but they all come in a "40",  Mickie's, Steel Reserve, Colt 45, St Ides, etc., etc.) is our most popular improvised weapon.  It's simply always at hand whenever our residents feel the need express themselves and didn't bring their Glock.  It's also appropriate for all occasions, from a domestic to a street fight.
Happy Trails

G Man / Bat Masterson
NRA Endowment
SASS #2919L
AZSA #11L
NCOWS #530
BOLD# 276
GAF #750

Offline Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #57 on: October 15, 2016, 10:48:48 AM »
Years ago in Whiteclay, the 24 oz. "Double Colt .45" was the drink of choice among the natives.  Seemed to keep them lubed up pretty well!
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #58 on: October 15, 2016, 12:48:42 PM »
Colt 45 is still drank by the older ones, the younger tend to go with the others.  Had a very old lady unhappy the other night when we only had one can of Colt 45. ;)
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Bat 2919

• G Man / Bat Masterson
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Sand Creek Raiders
  • Liked:
« Reply #59 on: October 15, 2016, 02:55:32 PM »
Just remember that when one of the denizens of the hood points his Glock at you demanding the meager contents of the till, give it to him with a smile and don't try to be a hero.  Believe it or not the company will fire you if you interfere with getting him out of your "Stop and Rob" as quickly as possible.  They'll fire you just as quickly if you forget to use the drop safe and end up giving him too much.
Happy Trails

G Man / Bat Masterson
NRA Endowment
SASS #2919L
AZSA #11L
NCOWS #530
BOLD# 276
GAF #750

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com