Author Topic: Hornady XTP in a .45 colt  (Read 708 times)

Offline powderhombre

• Very Active Citizen
    • Black Powder Cartridge Rifle Reload Target Recorder
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Hornady XTP in a .45 colt
« on: August 19, 2020, 02:37:51 PM »
I have a box of Hornady XTP 185 gr. .45 cal .451. My lyman manual shows a loading for this type jacketed Hollow point without a cannalure  in the .45 colt. However the dummy round I made doesn't meet the AOL specified 1.520. My round is 1.600. The manual doesn't give the bullet dimensions only the profile. Does anyone have any input about this bullet in the .45 Colt? ps.  I did crimp this round, isn't pretty but it is crimped.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: Hornady XTP in a .45 colt
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2020, 05:51:17 PM »

The bullet was not designed nor intended to be "Crimped" in a conventional sense.  It was designed to run in fairly Low Velocity loadings such as 45 ACP.  As such it was intended to be loaded with an ACP Esque Taper Crimp.

In a 45 Colt case you will be ahead to adjust and use a 45ACP Taper Crimp Die with a fairly fast burn powder.  The bullet was intended to be Taper Crimped just at the roll over to the Ogive.  The KEY thought for OAL is this . . . Does the round "fit" where it's suppose to go.  If it fits, you're good.

A CAVEAT:  With a taper crimp your good as long as you don't intend to run the rounds is Tube Magazine.  With other than a crimp groove and good crimp, you will experience Turtles.  Turtles will jam the rifle.  Also, remember that "fit" is included with the bullet having been seated where it's suppose to be seated.

Hide and Watch

Offline powderhombre

• Very Active Citizen
    • Black Powder Cartridge Rifle Reload Target Recorder
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2020, 06:47:29 PM »
I am aware they are intended for 45 ACP. However my Lyman manual does list them in the 45 Colt. One thing I am curious about is the profile. Compared to a standard 255 grain SWC, and given the crimp spot on the jacketed HP, there is approx. 150 thousands more airspace in the case as the bullet is shorter. The max load for this(185gn)using Unique is 10.0  grains. compared to max 8.5 grains for the 255  grn. bullet. I imagine this is due to that fact.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 09:10:01 PM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2020, 07:33:01 AM »

NOT Exactly.  Load levels are determined by Bullet Type ie: Lead or Jacketed.  Bullet Weight and the specific pressure vessel used to test.  Jacket bullets normally generate higher chamber pressure than do lead bullets.  Also, lighter bullets usually require a larger powder change to generate as much energy as heavy bullets.  Lots to consider.  Have FUN!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com