Author Topic: A "pseudo" Colt "London Agency" Cased Peacemaker ... (pics)  (Read 5867 times)

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
A "pseudo" Colt "London Agency" Cased Peacemaker ... (pics)
« on: September 06, 2004, 02:05:34 PM »
Having recently taken some pictures of a little project I completed a few years ago, I thought there might be some interest on this board.

While the Colt British connection (via the his aggressive UK marketing of his early percussion revolvers, and the Colt factory operated in England from early 1854 through the end of 1856) is relatively well know, Colt in fact maintained a London Agency from at least 1851/52 until 1904, and many of his cartridge models, including the Model 1873 Single Action Army revolver (often also called the "Peacemaker") were marketed in the United Kingdom. Many revolvers sold to British customers were cased, in styles distinctive to the London Agency.

What you see in the pictures below is a casing of one of my reproduction Colt Model 1873 revolvers (as used in cowboy action shooting) which I did up in the most common style offered by the London Agency, using a reproduction label which which was available. In addition to the "Pall Mall address" label, other distinctive features of this style of casing include the finger-jointed oak case (regretfully, I did not have any quarter-sawn oak - which was the most common material used in the original cases), the exposed flathead brass screws securing the top, the round brass escutcheon inset in the lid (engraved for me by a jeweller friend with an ornate "GHR" monogram of his own design), the lock design and positioning, the interior layout, the accessories included, and the serial number of the cased revolver stamped into the inner case frame to the right of the lock inset. (Of minor interest: I discovered that if my repro revolver's serial number was an original Colt number, that would place the year of manufacture as 1883, the year Medicine Hat was founded.)

Most of my information, and pictures for reference for this project, came from "Colt Peacemaker British Model", one of a series of books on different "Peacemaker"variations published by Keith Cochran, and "Colt - An American Legend" the epic work by R.L. Wilson, originally published to commemorate Colt's 150th anniversary in 1986.

This project represented a real mating of my two primary firearms interests - Canadian/British historical firearms, and "old west" firearms/cowboy action shooting.

Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline Gen Lew Wallace

• Major General, VIII Corps, Commander Middle Dept.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Savior of Washington D.C.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: A Colt "London Agency" Cased Peacemaker ... (pics)
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2004, 08:40:39 AM »
Very nice pard.   :)
Retired USAF, 20 years defending my beloved nation
NRA Life, SUVCW, GAF#164, AF&AM, AASR

"This is my native state.  I will not leave it to serve the South.  Down the street yonder is the old cemetery, and my father lies there going to dust.  If I fight, I tell you, it shall be for his bones." -Lew Wallace, after the 1860 election

Offline Frenchie

• "We have met the enemy, and he is us." - Pogo
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Photo by Julio Zangroniz @ "September Storm", 2007
  • Liked:
Re: A "pseudo" Colt "London Agency" Cased Peacemaker ... (pics)
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2004, 05:07:13 PM »
Nice work, RJ, very impressive.
Yours, &c.,

Guy 'Frenchie' LaFrance
Vous pouvez voir par mes vêtements que je ne suis pas un cowboy.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:23:03 PM »

Offline Bushwack Bill

• Captain, U.S. Scouts
  • Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2005, 01:05:17 PM »
 >:(  I got here late.  What happened to the picture?
Old Soldiers never die, we fall back to hell to regroup and sell out to the highest bidder

Offline Jax Orebetter

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Jax's Poker Table
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2005, 05:06:14 PM »
Not getting through for me either, RJ.
Time to fold,
Jax Orebetter
~WARTHOG~

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2005, 11:44:46 PM »
OK, Gents - its fixed ....

(My ISP - a local company - had a main server getting ready to "fry" several months ago, so they had to move everything to a different server -  None of my pictures (or website stuff) was lost, but the URL for every single item changed slightly!  As a result, any posts I had made linking to the old address of image files have to be edited to change it to the newer address, and then the images reappear.  However, not having the time or inclination to search the internet for the many posts I've made, I don't find 'em unless they are brought to my attention as you gentlemen just did ....)

I suppose I had better also anticipate possible comments about the "misalignment" of the screwhead slots on the top of the box, as welll as those affixing the hinges ....  That rather random appearing orientation is entirely "correct" - i.e. that is how they were in the original cases.  Since they are brass scews, turned into oak, they cannot be "overtightened" at all in an effort to align the slots, or the heads are likely to break right off!  ("Been there ... done that" -  the reference works specifically comment on this being the norm in the original cases, for that very reason.)
Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2005, 10:12:40 AM »
I'm one of the late-viewers as well.  Thanks for fixing the URL.

That is a really gorgeous display!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Jax Orebetter

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Jax's Poker Table
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2005, 11:39:34 AM »
Looks great!!
Time to fold,
Jax Orebetter
~WARTHOG~

Offline Dr. Bob

• Dr. Bob
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Physician and Sporting Gent aka Bob Dorian
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2005, 06:41:29 PM »
Howdy RJR,

What a fine looking outfit!  I always find it interesting how conforming to the original design seems foreign to out 21st Century eyes.  Thanks for reconnecting the pictures!  Your are justly proud of the work that you did!

Regards,
Regards, Doc
Dr. Bob Butcher,
NCOWS 2420, Senator
HR 4
GAF 405,
NRA Life,
KGC 8.
Warthog
Motto: Clean mind  -  Clean body,   Take your pick

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com