Author Topic: The 2005 Grand Army of the Frontier's National Championship  (Read 11574 times)

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
The 2005 Grand Army of the Frontier's National Championship
« on: November 09, 2004, 04:02:28 PM »
The shots had barely dinned in the air when I had folks asking me when we were going to do it again. I had folks even give me, unsolicited I might add, seed money for next year.

With this type of excitement, how could it not happen? Wymore Wrangler even suggested a date that seems to work very well. I have cleared it with the wife and Grizzle Bear. The dates for the 2005 GAF Muster will be October 28th, 29th and 30th.

But wait, there is more....

I have been talking to Mark Romano, some of you may know him as Fredrick Jackson Turner, World Champion Duelist. If we can get enough interest, that's 6 people, 5 actually because I am in, he is willing to come out from California and give a two day class on shooting the Duelist catagory. That would go on or around 10/26 & 10/27(not firm just yet). The cost of that would run outside the match fees.

Don't be thinking we are done just yet....

Next year we will also be giving out awards for best Military and Cowboy encampment. Missouri Scottsman suggested that we give the reenactors a reason to come an visit with us also. He was talking about bringing a cavalry troop and horses.

Oh, I almost forgot, we will be running a multistaged Wild Bunch Side Match and a Night Fire side match (As if the targets were not hard enough to hit in daylight.) I will try to fit in a plainsman event, but that may fall victum to time.

As always, I am open to suggestions on improvement and invite your comments both positive and points of improvement. As always, keep tuned to the frontier spot for updates and detail. Also, let me know well in advance about your intentions on the Duelist School.

Once again, the main match will be on rifle and pistol only.

Thank you
Major Matt Lewis
Grand Army of the Frontier * SASS Life * NCOWS * Powder Creek Cowboys * Free State Ranges * RO II * NRA Life * Man on the Edge

Offline Gen Lew Wallace

• Major General, VIII Corps, Commander Middle Dept.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Savior of Washington D.C.
  • Liked:
Re: The 2005 Grand Army of the Frontier's National Championship
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2004, 08:10:13 AM »
Well done to all.  Drinks on me at the sutlers.   :D
Retired USAF, 20 years defending my beloved nation
NRA Life, SUVCW, GAF#164, AF&AM, AASR

"This is my native state.  I will not leave it to serve the South.  Down the street yonder is the old cemetery, and my father lies there going to dust.  If I fight, I tell you, it shall be for his bones." -Lew Wallace, after the 1860 election

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2004, 10:17:39 AM »
I bin thinkin'.  (Dangerous I know)  but maybe we could figger out a way to accomodate single shot military rifles in the main match stages, like Trapdoors and Martini Henrys an sich.  Make it a seperate class, and/or require lever actions to double tap all targets, with single shots having one shot per target.  Still would not be competitive, but it would be fun!  If the targets can take it, of course.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 04:33:04 AM »

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2004, 11:03:49 AM »
Rattlesnake tried the Martini-Henry on one of the stages and knocked the targets clean over.  Now for the Beecher's Island stage, there was a staged Trapdoor and ammo provided and you needed to put 3 rounds on a target.  Next year, we can have something, but the targets wont take that real big stuff without falling over and that will slow down the match considerably.
Major Matt Lewis
Grand Army of the Frontier * SASS Life * NCOWS * Powder Creek Cowboys * Free State Ranges * RO II * NRA Life * Man on the Edge

Offline US Scout

• Bvt MajGen GAF (Retired)
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 15690
  • GAF #: 3
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 17
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2004, 01:21:14 PM »
Major Lewis failed to mention that the stage where Rattlesnake Jack used his Martini-Henry required the rifle be loaded and fired with one round only - 15 times!!!  Most loaded through the top of the Winchesters, but a few of them, and the Marlin shooters, ran them though the loading port.

For next year, I'm thinking of bringing my Trapdoor or Sharps (loaded down of course) for such doings - or getting a little Remington carbine in .45 Colt I've been considering for a couple of years but didn't have an excuse to buy. 

That said, I like the idea of having a stage shot with single shot rifles or lever actions loaded and shot one round at a time.  Makes for an interesting stage.

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2004, 02:27:08 PM »
If I can get some acceptable cowboy loads for my Krag, I will have that as a staged rifle.  I have a couple of good ideas with it.
Major Matt Lewis

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2004, 03:01:27 PM »
What are you lookin' for, I might be able to dig some up in my referance material.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2004, 07:50:09 PM »
RCJ, that's the key, yer safe as long as ya don't pi$$ off the cook. ;D :P  Never fear, never had any ren-actor type ever do that. ;D ;D  Couple times at the State Fair yes, but they wern't ren-actors and there was no  chance at all I'd ever invite them ta fill up a plate.  In fact one was a grade school teacher.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2004, 08:21:00 PM »
Major Matt Lewis

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2004, 01:05:33 AM »
Got a phone call Sunday night from my brother, wanted to know if I wanted some venison, him a a friend got one apiece with a bow Sunday.  He said with the warm weather they needed done quick and if I helped I could have what I wanted.  Well I am not ashamed to say that if they want venison to eat they better get busy with their rifles this weekend or they will starve cause I took all but three of the loins and would have taken them also if they would have gave them up.

Sourdough biscuits, canned milk gravy from the drippin' of braised deer steaks is a finer meal than any eatin' house I know of serves and was supper tonight. :) :)

I ain't bought sliced bread but once or twice this year when it was so hot I knew the air conditionin' would not cool the house before my wife got home and she hates it when it is hot.

Everyone is expected to ferget their diets that weekend, an obstical course could be set up for those worried about followin' the "Late" Mr. Atkins plan.  I always thought low carbs meant you could shut the hood with out a scoop.  And if dessert worries you, never fear, I already talked to my pard, Matt "Gopher Grease" Moore of Beatrice and he thinks it sounds like a fun time and he is a far better dessert man than I am, in fact most likely the best dessertman with a dutch oven around.  Course he is only fair with yeast bread and that is my strongest point, expect white bread and rye breads both. 

With ethnical main dishes I grew up in SE Newbrasskey and Matt in S Calf.  He does heavier on Hispanic and Eyetallion, I lean more to Czech and German.  Some of our items are hard to do for large crowds with dutch ovens, like Matt's 1880's style pizza and we bicker about it, he wants his homemade sausage, I want salty little fish out of a can. (Very period correct.)  The so called Farmer cheese is used as would been more likely that the water buffalo packed in Olive Oil Mozzarila (sp) that would have been imported and used, cause that poor skim cow milk imatation used today wasn't around till the 1920's. 

I expect anyone interested in learnin' bout this type of cookin' to stop by and spend time in the cook camp askin' questions and watchin' when not needed on the firin' line cause we are gonna be teachin' as well as feedin' you folks.  We will try to bring as much of our period cook gear as room allows, coffee will be ground daily in a period cast iron grinder.  The only things that will be in camp that are not period are things required for food saftey, there are no plans to give anyone period correct food or water borne illnesses.  Although if the weather is cool like it should be if any one has a steer the want to hang, Matt and I have both the skill and tools in our gear to reduce such a creature into edibles.  Course I should bake some hardtack soon and put it in a wooden box so anyone desirin' to eat year old hardtack can have a go at it. :P :o ;D

Lookin' forward to meetin' you all.
Mongrel Historian

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

Big Hext Finnigan

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2004, 07:42:55 AM »
This sounds like a great time and a super effort by the organizers and hosts.
Hat's off to you all!

Offline Sgt Buck

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2004, 10:05:08 PM »
A while back I found a trapdoor rifle that had been cut into a carbine, bore shot, and pretty rusty overall.  So I bought it anyway.  I am having the barrel re-lined to 45 Colt.  I didn't know why I was doing this, most clubs probably won't let me shoot it, they already time me with a sundial and it's not a lever action (SASS Requirement).  Now, I know why!  Of course, now I have to attend the next GAF Muster.  Ah well, any excuse is good enough.

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2004, 10:16:55 PM »
Yes it is.... ;)
Major Matt Lewis

Offline Lone Gunman

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • The Lone Gunman ...as himself
    • Lone-Gunman.com
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2004, 07:11:17 PM »
The 2005 Muster sign-up is now online HERE or follow the link at the top of the 2004 Muster site
George "Lone Gunman" Warnick

"...A man of notoriously vicious & intemperate disposition"

Offline Major Matt Lewis

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2004, 03:49:47 PM »
Fredrick Jackson Turner will also be giving a 2 day class before sidematches go on Friday.    Let me know if you want to learn how the world champions do it...
Major Matt Lewis

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com