Author Topic: 2012 GAF Grand Muster After Action Report  (Read 3934 times)

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • 308 214-0082 45551 Rd 816, Sargent NE 68874 USA
    • Grand Army of the Frontier
  • SASS #: 74523
  • NCOWS #: L187
  • GAF #: 147
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
2012 GAF Grand Muster After Action Report
« on: October 23, 2012, 10:49:48 AM »
23, October, 1876 (+136)

To: General U. S. Scout
Headquarters Grand Army of the Frontier
Near Washington City

Copies to:
(Bvt.) Col. Drydock Chief of Ordnance,
(Bvt. ) Col. Bull Schmidt Adjutant ,
and The ladies and gentlemen of the GAF at large

Sir:

I have the honor to submit my report following the 2012 Grand Muster of the Grand Army of the Frontier.

The Col.’s Lady and I arrived at the Garnett Inn at approximately 23:30 Thursday 4 October. The Inn is a first rate facility and we slept soundly and awoke the next morning refreshed and ready to share equally in the rigors that the men faced in the pursuit of the hostiles.

Friday  we found the weather chilly and damp but this did not dampen the men’s spirits. They attacked their duties in a way that was quite wonderful. Because of this fighting spirit the men easily completed the tasks of before them and by the end of the day the Expansion Era match, the long range rifle match as well as the long range pistol matches had all been completed.  The Expansion era match utilized the skirmish format and knock-down silhouettes that the KVC hosts had borrowed from the Calamus Vigilance Committee. I am unsure as to the total number of participants (I hope that the match hosts will provide numbers and place ranking) but I am quite certain that I was the only participant competing in the Staff Officer class. This match consisted of 14 Rifle targets and 5 pistol targets. The round count was dependant on the number of shots one needed to knock down all of the targets. The Long Range Rifle match was a steel match with the 2 targets placed at about 100 and 150 yards with the shots alternating between the two. I have not yet received a copy of the results, though I do remember that Lt. Col. Drydock did quite well.

Saturday the first stage of the main match was shot and also set up to use the skirmish format with a twist to take advantage of the geography of the range at the KVC club range. This stage was long enough that it took most of the day for the entire command to make its way through it. Following the cession of the firing I took the opportunity to present my field uniform to the judges. Several of the Muster participants looked on and asked questions. I did my best to educate the command on the finer points of the M-1874 enlisted U.S. Army infantry uniform and accoutrements. Many of the old hands commented that my presentation had the feel of a “Junk on the Bunk”

Saturday evening the command made its way to the Garnett Community Center where the banquet was held. It should be mentioned that due to a recent equine accident (apparently his horse nearly bit his thumb off) the regularly scheduled cook was unable to attend. Gerrod Wright, who is also the owner of the range stepped up and he and his family cooked for the entire muster. Gerrod and his family cannot be thanked enough for helping to make the 2012 Grand Muster such a success.

Sunday Morning the last stage of the muster was held and by shortly after noon was complete. Awards were presented and while I cannot remember all of those who placed in each category, I can recall that Col. Drydock was Brigade Champion and the Division of Missouri won the Division Plate. Congratulations Col.!

Over the course of the weekend I consulted with Trap and Books O’Toole as to the possibility of  KVC hosting the 2013 Grand Muster. They stated that they believed that this was possible but stated the need to discuss it with the rest of the KVC board. They also commented that the experience gained hosting this year’s muster would be invaluable in hosting the Grand Muster next year.

Attendance was among the best the Grand Muster has seen and there were several spectators.

Here I should thank a number of people:Lt. Col. Windy City Joe, Trap and Books O’Toole . The Kansas Vigilance Committee and Gerrad Wright for the use of their range Thank you all!
Photos and results will follow.

I remain your most humble and Ob’d Servant,
(Bvt.) Col. Jerry M. Davenport
I remain, Your Ob'd Servant,
Jerry M. "Pitspitr" Davenport
(Bvt.)Brigadier General Commanding,
Grand Army of the Frontier
BC/IT, Expert, Sharpshooter, Marksman, CC, SoM
NRA CRSO, RVWA IIT2; SASS ROI, ROII;
NRA Benefactor Life; AZSA Life; NCOWS Life

Offline Pitspitr

• Deputy Marshal