Author Topic: ROA Holsters  (Read 8022 times)

Offline Steel Dinger

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
ROA Holsters
« on: November 09, 2009, 06:31:32 AM »
Hello I have a pair of ROA Blue 5.5. looking for a good holster set up to use , any perticuler brand that will keep these in the leather, I perfer to draw sraight up or the butt forward draw. Steel Dinger

Offline yeti76620

• Reverend Sassquatch Dawg
  • Top Active Citizen
  • It's a good day to die....
  • Liked:
Re: ROA Holsters
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 10:15:35 PM »
Hey Steel Dinger,

I've the same in OMV (soon to have Super Blackhawk Hammers HHHEEee HHEee hhhee) and I've borrowed the holsters of others.  Just glad to have them at the time, BUT, they all had issues that just made my goals unachievable 'till I decided to GET MY OWN!    >:(   Through much observation of my Pard's riggs I saw that the Kirkpatrick Leather was a quality rig that I liked as well as a few others had their attraction.

I purchased the Long Hunter rig '09 model for the reinforcement at the belt tilted the holster out and I just LOVE the stiffened opening to keep it open so that the pistol just SUCKS into the opening and STAYS PUT when I'm on the run.   :) :) ;) :) :) 

Spend the money ($400.00 plus) for a GOOD rig that will last ya 'til they burry ya and get a belt that is long enough fur that belly expansion 'cause it WILL happen unless yur already there and still add a couple inches.  Don't forget that outside the britches is bigger then the inside!   ;D

Yeti76620
NRA LIFE Member     SASS #76620     SCAA #1    RATS #480    OUTLAW

“Lord, make me accurate, my aim true, and my hand faster than those who would do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be "If only I had my gun"; finally Lord, if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.” ...... Amen

http://www.nationalgunrights.org/
CONTACT YOUR POLITICIANS: http://www.ruger.com/micros/advocacy/takeAction.html

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Watt and Wadd Watson Ellis
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Howdy, Pardner! Sacramento, Ca here ....
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 10:50:00 PM »
Hi,

When I bought a pair of Schofield 7 1/2" barrels, I had Will Ghormley make me a pair of holsters that are 20 degreee cant 'plain Jane' versions of the Gates of Hell holsters that Mr Ghormley made for Charlie Prince in "3:10 To Yuma". He kind of 'redesigned' so that they could either be worn double butt forward (The best way, and how the pistols were worn in the movie ... but a big NO NO for SASS) or double strong side.

I later bought a pair of ROA SS 5.5" Barrels.

I have found that, due to the excess metal in front of the frame on both the Schofield and the ROAs,
the ROAs fit even better than the Schofields (shorter barrel) in the holsters he made.

He also makes very traditional holsters that hold a weapon deep inside the holster and protect them as a modern quick draw rig does not.

I am including a pic of the rig with ROAs worn double strong side ...
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

"Courage is being scared to death and saddling up anyway." John Wayne
NCOWS #3403

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:01:54 PM »

Offline yeti76620

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 10:03:45 AM »
 :o  GOOD point there WaddWatsonEllis!  In SASS ya gotta be careful NOT to BREAK the 170 rule and the 180 rule in W3G when drawing them Irons with their butt forward.  Seen Sagebrush Burns drawing straight down holsters with a BIG dance then his elbows were twisted sooo much it hurt ME!   :D :D ;D

WWE's holsters with those cants look like a rig that require an Irish Jig then just a dance.   ???

Nice leather just the same!

Yeti76620

“Lord, make me accurate, my aim true, and my hand faster than those who would do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be "If only I had my gun"; finally Lord, if today is truly the day that You call me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.” ...... Amen

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 10:31:01 AM »
Yeti,

While the 170/180 rule does cover single cross draw rigs, SASS's  rule book plainly states that there will be no 'double butt forward' rigs allowed ... Period. End of discussion. Been there already.

But my holsters were made by Mr Ghormley to be worn double butt forward or double strongside.

The pic of the whole rig with the ROAs is double strong side and totally legal. Because of the forward cant of the holsters, they can be drawn back and out, with the barrels pointing directly downrange as soon as they exit the holster .... no need for dances whatsoever ..... the original pic with the Schofield was done double butt forward, as was the pic in my profile .... but in order to compete they have been turned around to double strong side ..... I am enclosing a pic with the Schofields in a double strong side...

I am including a pic from 3:10 to Yuma, that shows the original holsters worn double butt forward ...
My moniker is my great grandfather's name. He served with the 2nd Florida Mounted Regiment in the Civil War. Afterward, he came home, packed his wife into a wagon, and was one of the first NorteAmericanos on the Frio River southwest of San Antonio ..... Kinda where present day Dilley is ...

NCOWS #3403

Offline knucklehead

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 02:01:14 PM »
here is a pic of the holster i made for my ruger old army. the roa is 7 1/2" barrell verison.
my ruger old model vaqueros fit in this holster very well.

the frame on the old model vaquero is the same basic size as the ruger old army.
at least they are the same size when i make holsters for either one due to both fit very well in the same holster.
I'M #330 DIRTY RAT.

Offline yeti76620

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 03:21:39 PM »

The pic of the whole rig with the ROAs is double strong side and totally legal. Because of the forward cant of the holsters, they can be drawn back and out, with the barrels pointing directly downrange as soon as they exit the holster .... no need for dances whatsoever ..... the original pic with the Schofield was done double butt forward, as was the pic in my profile .... but in order to compete they have been turned around to double strong side ..... I am enclosing a pic with the Schofields in a double strong side...

I am including a pic from 3:10 to Yuma, that shows the original holsters worn double butt forward ...

My MISTAKE WaddWatson Elis,  Looked like you were buckling in the back like your shot belt.  Butts back with that cant beats the rule if it were 160!   ;D  Please accept my apologies ;   ;)

Yeti76620

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 04:16:51 PM »
Yeti,

My intent was not to castigate; no appologies needed!

My point was that Mr. Ghormley saw the double butt rule before I did, and suggested the double use (butt forward/double strongside) be designed into my new holsters.

The Flames of Hell holster from 3:10 to Yuma was also a 30 degree holster ... which Mr Ghormley had the wisdome to suggest changing to a 20 degree cant. SASS has a max of a 30 degree cant from horizontal, including tipping of the belt. So he left me some 'wiggle room' in case a Range Officer wanted to pull the old protractor out to measure cant.

I guess what I am saying is I like and respect Will Ghormley's affection for the Old West designs and his knowledge or and ability to work with modern rules and regulations.

And the end reasult is that I have a pair of holsters that are both totally competative and something I could ride with in a saddle all day .... protected from the manzanitia and brush ....

NCOWS #3403

Offline Dalton Masterson

• Freeda Bee Mee's driver and ammo loader
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Wheeeeee!
    • Dalton Masterson's site
  • SASS #: 51139
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2009, 09:10:43 PM »
Wadd, there is no rule against wearing your guns butt forward in SASS. It may be a local rule, but it is not a SASS rule. Lots of pards do it.

Steel Dinger, go to the Leather Shop here at CASCity, and ask for someone to show you their rigs for ROAs. Someone there will gladly make you a rig, and it will be every bit as good as the big names. Heck, Will G. hangs out there too.

DM
SASS #51139L
Former Territorial Governor of the Platte Valley Gunslingers (Ret)
GAF (Bvt.) Major in command of Battalion of Western Nebraska
SUDDS 194--Double Duelist and proud of it!
RATS #65
SCORRS
Gunfighting Soot Lord from Nebrasky
44 spoke, and it sent lead and smoke, and 17 inches of flame.
https://www.facebook.com/Plum-Creek-Leatherworks-194791150591003/
www.runniron.com

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2009, 12:00:55 AM »
Dalton,

I checked the SASS Rulebook under 'Holsters" where I thought I used to see the no-no rule about 'double butt forward'  ... couldn't find it.

Next I did a cursory overview of the whole pamphlet ... no joy.

So now I will have to go to the local ROI And have them show me where in the book it is ... and if they can't find them, I am not sure if I will turn them around anyway ... it looks neat, but now that I have been shooting double strong side for a while, I have gotten used to the guns coming out of the holster pointing directly downrange .....

BTW, the holsters are double butt forward in my profile pic, and double strong side below ...

NCOWS #3403

Offline Dalton Masterson

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Wheeeeee!
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2009, 07:21:48 AM »
Yep, Wadd. As long as you dont break the 170 when you draw, which takes practice, you can do buttforward. It might get you watched a little closer by the rest of the crew, but its legal.
Double strong side is what I do, and it works good too.
DM
SASS #51139L
RATS #65
SCORRS
www.runniron.com

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2009, 12:16:58 PM »
When I started in June/July, I wore my holsters as shown in the profile, was quicky told it was illegal, and turned then to double strong side.

When I checked the SASS Rulebook, I did see a place where it said that 'double butt forward' was illegal. Now I can't find it ...

After your post, I put an email out to the Territorial Governor for our club ... and the previous owner of the Schofields ... asking about the present state of the no 'double butt forward' situation.

I recognize that at your club it is a non-issue, but at my club it is. So before I change the holsters around, I want somebody local and in-the-know to say it is accepted ....

But thanks for getting me started looking into this!

NCOWS #3403

Offline Dalton Masterson

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Wheeeeee!
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2009, 12:38:46 PM »
Take a look at the gunfighter rules. It is illegal for gunfighters to do butt forward.

It is not illegal per SASS for other shooting categories, but as always, local rules take precedence over SASS rules.

Good luck,
DM (also a TG) ;)

SASS #51139L
RATS #65
SCORRS
www.runniron.com

Offline WaddWatsonEllis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2009, 01:09:51 PM »
I knew it was somehere  ... sigh

And I do shoot senior gunfighter ... so I guess I'll continue having to pull those 7" Barrels double strong side ... not much bother except the length of the gun is 5" longer than my holster-to-armpit measurements ... it feels like I am drawing a sword each time I pull them ...

NCOWS #3403

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com