Author Topic: A bowie question  (Read 5504 times)

Offline Galloway

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
A bowie question
« on: August 05, 2009, 08:05:42 PM »
I've seen this style bowie sold under various different names and was wondering if anyone knows when it first appeared or its history. Thanks

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
Re: A bowie question
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2009, 08:11:27 PM »
This one was just talked about - here's the reply.

And no - it doesn't remotely come close to something 'period'.

There are a lot of newly-made copies of the Collins #18 that are surfacing under various brand names and prices right now.

Re: Collins and Co. #18
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 10:02:12 AM »     

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You have a Collins Survival Machete/Survival Knife - the V-44.

'V-44' has no relevance beyond being the identifier in a supply catalog.

First developed in 1934,  for flying personnel  in Panama and Hawaii, it was carried in a jungle bail-out kit attached to the parachute harness.

The Collins No. 18 was the first type, and remained standard until 1942, and they supplied 50,000 of them between 1934 and 1942.

They were also supplied by Case, Kinfolks and Western.

They were an ideal survival machete - the drawback for normal usage was their size - but for clearing brush and building shelters, they were handy.

Additionally, they were used in the Pacific by the Marines - but those are usually numbered, with 'U.S.M.C'  - and most had a green horn handle - the black composition ones were of normal issue, procured through 'regular' channels, and yours would seem to fill that description.

The relatively thin blade makes it a poor choice for a fighting Bowie - the principal advantage being it's size being psychological - adding a 'dangerous' look.

They remained somewhat 'available' through supply channels for a long time, before they found their way onto the surplus market.

Some were even modified by individual SF guys  who added 'sawteeth' for the added 'fiend appeal'.

Vaya,

Scouts Out

(Information from several sources - 'U.S. Military Knives' by Cole being predominant)
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Angel_Eyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 11:06:33 AM »
Thanks for that explanation, St. George, I was wondering where the hooked handle came from.
I had assumed that it was because the one I have was a cheap Asian/Indian copy, and have subsequently ground off the hook.
(Perhaps I should have made inquiries before doing that!!!)

AE
Trouble is...when I'm paid to do a job, I always carry it through. (Angel Eyes, The Good, The Bad & The Ugly)
BWSS # 54, RATS# 445, SCORRS,
Cowboy from Robin Hood's back yard!!

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 01:47:48 PM »

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2009, 02:44:36 PM »
The "Collins No. 18" style Bowie is an interesting knife.  I have the "Western" version.  In doing research I have found similar blade shapes, and similar handle styles, and the same guard configurations.  However, I have not found all three on an individual 19th century knife.

But, I will endeavor to persevere.

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Offline Daniel Nighteyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2009, 05:28:35 PM »
With respect, a Collins (or Kinfolks, or Western) V-44 is a significantly different knife that bears some similarity to the one pictured.  Of these, the Collins is the most abundant, while the Kinfolks and Western V-44s are rare.  Check it out here:

http://cgi.ebay.com/V-44-COLLINS-No-18-HORN-HANDLE-VINTAGE-BOWIE-KNIFE_W0QQitemZ140337008041QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item20acbccda9&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Instead, the pictured knife is a near-clone of the Western Cutlery Bowie, or W49 as it was later designated:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Superb-Vintage-Western-W49-Bowie-Knife-NIB_W0QQitemZ280387358432QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4148638ee0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Regards,

-- Daniel (what has been collecting and dealing in military edged weapons for decades) Nighteyes

Offline Daniel Nighteyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2009, 05:42:52 PM »
The "Collins No. 18" style Bowie is an interesting knife.  I have the "Western" version.  In doing research I have found similar blade shapes, and similar handle styles, and the same guard configurations.  However, I have not found all three on an individual 19th century knife.

Books, if you indeed have a Western Cutlery V-44 knife (rather than a Western Cutlery W49 bowie), you really have something.  As I mentioned previously, the Western V-44s are rather rare.  I'm proud to own a near-mint Kinfolks V-44, but have only actually seen/handled one Western V-44, and it was in sad shape.

Offline Sacramento Johnson

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2009, 07:57:43 PM »
Howdy!
 Had one of those Western 49s awhile back; basically gave it away (and a custom sheath I had made for it); a bit too unwieldly for me.  Have the smaller version, the Western W47, which is a bit more handy, even if it isn't really period correct for the old west.
Don't come across this smaller version very often.

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2009, 02:25:18 PM »
Mine is the Western Cutlery Bowie or W49.  It came with a wall plaque and a gun-slinger, low hanging sheath.

I traded into it.  My dad had one when I was a Boy Scout.  I don't know about knife fighting with one, but St. George is right about being a great chopper.

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Offline Daniel Nighteyes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2009, 08:24:31 PM »
Mine is the Western Cutlery Bowie or W49.  It came with a wall plaque and a gun-slinger, low hanging sheath.

I traded into it.  My dad had one when I was a Boy Scout.  I don't know about knife fighting with one, but St. George is right about being a great chopper.

Books

Yup, it can be a great utility/general purpose blade, and can in fact be used like a small machete if need be.  For knife-fighting, tho, its a little unwieldy (in my opinion).

Offline clehfeldt

• Carlos El Hombre
  • Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2009, 05:07:23 PM »
I have the W49 and settled on it for my chopper for backpacking. It is a good general purose tool for cutting kindling and wood for small cooking fires, making tent stakes etc., and mine was used once to split a deer down the backbone.
worked for me.
Carlos
Carlos El Hombre

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com