5 (13.9%)
Marvel Kit
7 (19.4%)
Tactical Solutions Kit
0 (0%)
Other
2 (5.6%)

Total Members Voted: 35

Author Topic: .22LR conversion kits for 1911 practice  (Read 26296 times)

Offline Pancho Peacemaker

• NCOWS Texican Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3120, SASS #75813
    • Pancho's Videos
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
.22LR conversion kits for 1911 practice
« on: October 18, 2010, 08:48:05 AM »
There are several "kits" out there to convert your 1911 to shoot .22LR.  Lots of folks use these for inexpensive practice.

If you hunt around on the 1911 forums, you'll find lots of opinions on these kits.

Which one do you use and which have you found reliable or unreliable?

Pancho
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
Re: .22LR conversion kits for 1911 practice
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 09:36:27 AM »
I've taught a few thousand folks how to shoot, and in order to get them used to Service Pistol and Service Rifle, I've had a lot of use for conversion units in general.

I can requisition thousands of rounds of .22 - but hundreds of service Ball - and getting the shooter used to the feel and sight picture efficiently is of paramount importance, so the light report and non-existent recoil helps new shooters immeasurably.

I use the 'Colt Conversion Kit' from the late '50's - early '60's.

All you need to do to one is use good-quality .22LR and keep the 'floating chamber' greased.

I use ProShot's 'Pro-Gold' and Remington's 'Golden Bullets' and they work perfectly in the Colt, as well as in a Ciener M9 kit and an M16 Conversion Unit.

Now - keep in mind, we're shooting for proficiency and not for speed, so I can't offer an opinion as to what may happen when someone's trying to win a match.

All I can say is that in normal shooting situations - be it 'target accuracy' a'la the National Match Course of Fire - or the 'Killing House' at Bragg - these units have performed quite well.

Remington's 'Golden Bullets' seem to have a little harder coating and faster-burning propellant - important, because the thing that binds up a conversion unit is powder fouling and shaved lead.

An old AMU trick - the Colt 'floating chamber' can be slicked up if needed, by merely breaking the sharp edge of the chamber by chamfering slightly.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Pancho Peacemaker

• NCOWS Texican Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #3120, SASS #75813
    • Pancho's Videos
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 08:05:15 PM »

All you need to do to one is use good-quality .22LR and keep the 'floating chamber' greased

St. George,

At my local range (civilian range mind you), many of the 1911 guys have vintage Colt conversion kits and they belly-ache about the floating chamber.  I've heard many a gripe about lead fouling causing problems after extending shooting sessions. 

Any truth to that rumor in your experience?

I've had a Kimber kit for a couple of years.  It is not anything to rant about.  It needs high velocity loads to cycle reliably.  Standard velocity target loads (i.e. CCI Green Tags) will often not cycle the slide completely.

I am intrigued by the new Tactical Solutions kit.  I have very good experiences with their other products in the past.  They had a favorable write up on this conversion kit in the last Guns & Ammo issue.
NRA - Life
NRA-ILA
TSRA - Life
S&W Collectors Association

"A vote is like a rifle: its usefulness depends upon the character of the user."
-T. Roosevelt (1858 - 1919)

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:37:27 AM »

Offline Pecos Clyde

• Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 08:46:43 PM »
I have had a colt ACE kit for about 3 years.  A friend gave it to me.....nice friend huh?  I have shot about 4000 rounds thru it.  I clean it about every 100 rounds or so, and even then it still shoots fine....I just get to feeling guilty about how dirty i is.

I have shot almost every brand of U.S. made 22 ammo in it.  High velocity, standard, old, new, and it all works.

I have never used any other 1911 22 conversion, so my only experience is with the colt ACE....but I sure do like it alot. 

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 09:50:16 AM »
As offered above - have them do what we did, and chamfer the very edge of the barrel's chamber - the barrel and not the floating chamber. - and use a light grease on said floating chamber.

Then - give Remington's 'Golden Bullet' a try.

Using those - I've never had any problems with any of the Conversion Units I've used.

Some can give a problem when 'Target Velocity' rounds are used - you want a more robust cartridge - so see what that particular .22 likes.

Unlike Service shooters - many civilians simply don't clean their weapons properly after extended shooting sessions, and any of the .22s will need some cleaning.

Good Luck!

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Offline Ellsworth MacDoogle

• Active citizen
  • Great Grandparents - Buffalo, NY
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010, 11:37:06 PM »
Instead of a conversion kit I recently acquired a GSG-1911 .22 pistol.  Imported by American Tactical Imports and a great practice piece. It's listed as needing .22HV but actually shoots the cheap bulk .22 w/ no problem.  It's about the same price as a conversion kit but you get a whole new gun  ;D

http://www.gsg-waffen.de/site/index.php?option=com_content&view=category&layout=blog&id=61&Itemid=99&lang=en

Offline rebsr52339

• Bowie Knife Dick (SASS#87007)
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 07:03:37 AM »
I agree with Ellsworth on this one. Actually got mine cheeper than a conversion. After 3000+ rounds of HV and Federal bulk I only had 2 failure to feed and that was after shooting 400+ rounds to test it. I love this gun and shoot it almost every day for 3gun tactical and Wildbunch practice. Already told GSG that if this gun could cook I would marry it.
Bowie Knife Dick
NCOWS #3318
SASS #87007
RATS #564
ABKA #23

1961MJS

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 11:16:19 AM »
Hi, I shoot NRA Conventional Pistol also knows as Bullseye, with a Marvel Conversion.  The proof target is a ten shot group of 0.7 inches at 50 yards.  All of the Marvel unit 1 kits shoot less than 1 inch groups at 50 yards or they don't leave the factory.  This conversion doesn't hold the slide back on the last round.  I shoot CCI Standard Velocity ammunition.  I have more than 16000 rounds through the setup and have needed new magazine springs to keep it running.  With the Marvel it is helpful to put a drop of oil on the first round in the magazine since the match chambers are tight.  I wouldn't hesitate to use the gun to practice for WB.

Hope this helps.

Mike
Wichita KS

Offline Garand

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2012, 11:40:35 AM »
I have a Kimber Conversion kit which I absolutely love. If you have read the owners manual, you will know that you equire hyper velocity .22 ammo to make it run flawlessly. This is good, because the local club puts on 3 gun rimfire matches and .22 action matches a couple of times thoughout the year. I've taken down steel gophers at 65 yards with CCI Stingers fired from my Kimber kit. Since I purchased the kit, my Colt Gov't Model spends more time on the range and when I take a new shooter out for an educational experience, it doesn't cost me and arm and a leg for them to have a good time.
SASS # 93688
aka Dapper Dynamite Dick

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2012, 12:21:56 PM »
The Colt unit is by far the best in my opinion and the only true conversion unit that I am aware of that is fully functional without going to one of the new 1911-22 type pistols.  I have tried several conversion units and all worked well, even if a bit picky on ammo choices, but their one big downside is they lack the ability to lock open after the last round.  Without this feature your practice will not include the mag change step, is this an important part of WB practice?

Offline rbertalotto

• Top Active Citizen
    • RVB Precision
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2012, 09:06:25 AM »
I built a 1911/22 on a Marvel kit. Amazing accuracy and perfect reliability. This is as accurate as a Model 41 S&W and a Benelli target pistol I own.

Roy B
South of Boston
www.rvbprecision.com
SASS #93544

1961MJS

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2012, 10:56:08 AM »
The Colt unit is by far the best in my opinion and the only true conversion unit that I am aware of that is fully functional without going to one of the new 1911-22 type pistols.  I have tried several conversion units and all worked well, even if a bit picky on ammo choices, but their one big downside is they lack the ability to lock open after the last round.  Without this feature your practice will not include the mag change step, is this an important part of WB practice?

Hi, I'm not convinced that the ability to lock open after the last round is a deal breaker.  I've been taught NOT to use the slide stop to let the slide down.  Pulling the slide back on the Marvel to jack a round into the chamber is substantially the same movement as pulling the slide back slightly so it drops on my 1911.

Just  my $0.02

Mike
Wichita KS

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2012, 07:53:24 PM »
IIRC, there is a version called the Colt Service Ace, which differs from the Colt Ace. Picked one up years ago to go with my Daddy's M1911A1.
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2012, 08:34:59 AM »
Not sure of the reason for turning a one handed operation into one that requires two hands.  Another thought is that without a working slide lock we get a full force rack on an empty chamber after the last round of every magazine.  Every treatise I am familiar with gives a big thumbs down to racking the auto loaders on an empty magazine so why would makers of conversion units even build that into their systems?  Only thing I can figure is that the much reduced .22 recoil spring is considered safe??  A brand new pre-newby here so my thoughts are simply speculation BUT it would just seem that if one is actually swapping four or more mags on the clock, that would be as much a desired part of practice as simple target shooting and the old Colt units come closest for this and actually even better than the small mag 22 clone pistols out there.

Offline Ima Sure Shot

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2012, 01:43:16 PM »
Pancho,

Sometime  back- probably more than 15 years- I picked up a Kimber Gold Match at a gun show and said I like that.  To teach myself to better use it I bought a Kimber Platinum Conversion Unit (by Ciener I believe) at the same gun show different dealer.  It was a few dollars more than the plain jane version but the accuracy was guaranted to be better.  I got it a little cheaper because it had a blemish on the finish.  The Guys I shot with all laughed at me because at the time they thought it a waste, 45 ammo was so "cheap".   

It has served me very well.  The directions do say to use higher velocity ammo and it does not lock open on the last round.   It taught me a valuable lesson- to count my rounds as they were going down range and change mags when needed , not necessarily when locked open.  It has chewed more than a brick of ammo at a time and did not complain before cleaning.  My 11 year old grandson says it is his favorite because it hits the targets he shoots at.  It is one of my favorites as well. It seems to be very accurate. Celeste 

Offline joec

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2012, 02:39:49 PM »
I own a Ciener but not for a 1911 but a Taurus PT92 and find it excellent and as accurate as the 9mm. The only draw back with it is the slide doesn't lock back after the last round. The only 1911 I own now is a Armscor/RIA 1911 CS and only having a 3.5" barrel it is hard to find a conversion kit to work with it.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

1961MJS

« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2012, 11:40:46 PM »
I own a Ciener but not for a 1911 but a Taurus PT92 and find it excellent and as accurate as the 9mm. The only draw back with it is the slide doesn't lock back after the last round. The only 1911 I own now is a Armscor/RIA 1911 CS and only having a 3.5" barrel it is hard to find a conversion kit to work with it.

Hi

You might email Marvel Precision and ask.  The Marvels connect to the slide top and is more like a Ruger Mark II action than like a 1911 action so a regular Marvel may fit a smaller frame.

Later

Mike
Wichita KS

Offline joec

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2012, 10:07:57 AM »
Hi

You might email Marvel Precision and ask.  The Marvels connect to the slide top and is more like a Ruger Mark II action than like a 1911 action so a regular Marvel may fit a smaller frame.

Later

Mike
Wichita KS

Thanks Mike I very well might as of now the 1911 CS is my daily carry gun while the PT92 is my target toy.
Joe
NCOWS 3384

Offline Grapeshot

• Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
  • Top Active Citizen
  • WARTHOG
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2012, 02:25:47 AM »
This past month I bought an Essex M1911 frame and a M1911 frame parts kit and attached my Ceiner .22 Conversion Kit to it to have a dedicated .22 caliber in a M1911 format.  I already had most of the parts on hand, I just needed the frame, which I got for a steal.

Seems it had been hanging in the store for the past two years with no prospects of being purchased, so the store offered me a deal when I showed an interest in it.

Sometimes things just fall into place for no reason.
Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

Offline Grapeshot

• Grapeshot. Cpt US Artillery
  • Top Active Citizen
  • WARTHOG
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2012, 11:34:35 AM »
Here are the Pictures of my "Parts Gun"

Listen!  Do you hear that?  The roar of Cannons and the screams of the dying.  Ahh!  Music to my ears.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com