Author Topic: Uberti '73  (Read 1201 times)

Offline Dirty Dick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
Uberti '73
« on: February 05, 2020, 07:32:59 PM »
Can anyone tell me what the difference is between the standard short stroke kit and the super short stroke kit? In inches of lever travel, difference of install, etc? This newbie wants to know.

DD
NRA Life, CSSA, RCA,

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
Re: Uberti '73
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2020, 10:14:48 AM »

Sure.  Of course when you compare "Standard" with "Super" you are comparing Pioneer Gunworks Short Stroke kits.  There is probably 1/2 inch difference in lever travel AT THE FARR END of the lever.  Down at the trigger end, perhaps an eighth of an inch.  You should be looking at the trigger end, as that is actually where all the leverage is applied.

Some Lustrum ago, the Super Short from everybody were a bit "hitchy" with large bore cartridges and real nice with small bore cartridges.  The problem was little glitchy differences in geometry.  Largely, this little problem has been corrected.  However there is still a school of thought that "Standard" and or 3rd generation kits should be used with Large bore cartridges.  Current manufacture kits are very efficient with ANY cartridge.

The super short stroke will require a big more "fitting" and "Timing" to work correctly.  Further, there is a distinct and severe loss of mechanical advantage with ANY SS Kit.  If a SS kit is installed in a rifle without reducing the springs, you'll have a rifle with a nifty lever throw that takes three men and a boy to operate.  A good action job and changing the springs is imperative with SS kits, no matter who make them.

Offline Dirty Dick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 15
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2020, 06:03:21 PM »
I bought the rifle used with a '3rd generation PGW SS kit', works great after timing it myself with help from this forum, thank you. I like to tinker so was wondering how much difference the Super SS kit would make, was contemplating an upgrade but not if it is only 1/2" difference. I did add an aluminum cartridge lifter, though, noticeable difference in the feel. Love the rifle! Thank you, Coffinmaker!

DD
NRA Life, CSSA, RCA,

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:23:32 AM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com