Special Interests - Groups & Societies > The Old Fashioned Way

How many of you build your own shirts?

(1/8) > >>

Tommy tornado:
Been thinking about trying to learn to use my mother-in-law's sewing machine.  Wondering how difficult or easy it is to make cowboy shirts.  Recently bought a two shirt patterns off ebay, and was wondering if there are any major pitfalls.  One pattern is a three button one pocket shirt and the other is a bid front shirt.  Also looked at but did not buy a Folkswear (might have the company name right) Missouri Riverboat shirt.  Thanks in advance for any advice, tips, and replies.

Silver Creek Slim:
What pattern is it (Simplicity, McCall's, etc.)? Any other distinguishing traits? Some of us have done this, particularly Delmonico.

Slim

Delmonico:
They are not hard to make, if you can make things out of wood or steel, you can make them out of cloth.  I would first get some scraps and learn to run the machine, practice with it till you can make it work for you, that will save a lot of flustration.

Second see if someone like your mother-in-law can help you through the first one.  My wife helped me through my first one and I've made maybe 2 dozen since then.  I'd have made more, but I got off on quilts, I only make one now and then when I want something I can't buy and get tired of quilts.

Hollor if we can help.

Advertising:

Tommy tornado:
The pattern I bought was made by Simplicity.  It is their casual Civil War shirt pattern.  The other one I am looking at buying is the Missouri River boat shirt from Folkwear (i think).  Currently I do make my own leather gear, so hand sewing I am not worried about.  Never used a sewing machine before.  Curious as to about how long it took you to sew a typical 1800's pattern shirt?  Also are there any particular pieces that have given experienced shirt makers trouble?  Button-holes, collar (if needed), etc.  I was planning on machine stitching my first and hand-sewing button holes.  Still searching for a good picture of a properly stitched button hole.

Delmonico:
You'll do fine then jump right in.  I'm headed home from work in a few minutes but I'll see if I can do a post on how to make one.  I ain't figured out how to use the digital camera yet and not sure how to post one but I'll see what I can do in the next few days.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version