CAS TOPICS > The Darksider's Den

44 days, Bit over 6 weeks

(1/10) > >>

Crow Choker:
WOW, can't believe its been since Nov 7th since there has been a new post on this Darkside Den. That's 44 days, a tad over six weeks. This section of the CAS Forum used to be the most popular, most posted on from what I've observed over the years. Not sure why the forum is in the shape it's in regarding activity. I used to look forward to clicking on, reading, at times posting. Anymore sometimes 2-3 days go by before I hit the CAS Forum and there hasn't been much activity in any section. Sad to see. Probably alot of views why, some may be valid. This used to be an interesting and informative forum. Just on a soapbox and wondering why with my fingers. CrowChoker

Dave T:
As the Boomers (myself included) age CAS is gradually dying.  Not surprising a CAS Forum would suffer the same fate.  I check in here almost every day, particularly the "New unread" section, and am frequently disappointed at how few new posts there are.

As for the Darksiders (black powder shooters) it seems like I am seeing more and more folks complaining about either how hard it is becoming to find black powder, primers, etc, or how they don't want to be bothered cleaning up after black powder.

In my case, despite getting older (74) and being disabled, the only shooting I get a real joy and satisfaction from is black powder cartridge shooting.  My biggest problem is not having a 'shooting buddy'.  No matter, you will still find me lurking and posting here...until I can't anymore.

Dave

Abilene:
Yeah, it was harder to find powder and primers for a while, but not too bad now.  Primers are more expensive than before, but such is life.  Scheutzen BP is readily available. I just bought a bunch of 1Fg for more flame in shotgun.  :)  Like Dave T said, CAS is generally slowing down a bit. There are other forums on CasCity that are pretty slow as well.  I think the majority of people shooting BP categories in CAS now are using APP.  It is too easy, so they don't need to be posting and asking about lubes, how much and what sort of lube, big lube bullets, type of powder, etc.  Overall, I think BP-sub shooters are somewhat less enthusiastic about BP in general.  A lot of them were smokeless shooters who found less competition in BP categories so they use APP.   Don't get me wrong, APP is okay and I use it sometimes for rifle.  It smokes plenty, sometimes more than BP, and leaves less fouling.  But I do miss the flame with APP.

For the last few years I've been staying with my elderly mom, 90 miles from my house and reloading gear, and don't have as much time for loading or cleaning guns.  So I've been lazy and shooting more smokeless than BP.  But I bought a bunch of lubed .38's from Springfield Slim before he retires from selling bullets, plus more from Missouri bullet company, and plan on shooting more BP this year.  The Texican Rangers hold a year-long competition for category honors, you have to shoot a category in at least 5 matches during the year to qualify.  So this year I'm going to shoot frontier cartridge monthly at that club.

This was two weeks ago at the Texas Riviera Pistoleros 2nd annual Gunfight at Gamble Gulch.  APP in rifle, BP in .38 conversions and 12Ga otherwise.  A nice breeze to allow seeing the targets.  That's fine at a "big" match, but at a monthly I prefer little to no wind so the smoke hangs around and bugs the posse.  ;D

Advertising:

Bunk:
well old age (92) and a state of general decrepitude  has sidelined old Bunk.
My last shoot was one of the last times on the Rough Regulators range.
Still  shooting and playing with an 1851nNavy converted to  1871 .38 Short Colt with FFFg of course on the range in my back yard.
Hang in there boys
I am
Bunk

Abilene:
Howdy Bunk,
You're a little older than I thought.  It's great that you still can enjoy your guns and black powder.  Think you might make it to a match at Plum Creek some day?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version