Special Interests - Groups & Societies > Cas City Historical Society

Bat Masterson’s headgear

(1/2) > >>

BrushyCreekDouglas:
Gents,

One of my favorite of the “well known” figures from the old west was Bat Masterson. I’m working on some Instagram articles discussing his early days as a hunter and peace officer in Dodge City and want to obtain a proper bowler hat for photos. In all of your collective experience, what should I look for and would any of you have a spare or old one you wouldn’t mind parting with? I have noticed that the bowlers of his era seemed to have much taller crowns then those of more recent years. Also any insights into his clothing in general would be much appreciated.

I’m quite uneducated on the topic of 19th century bowlers and would love to learn more about them. Thank you all and God bless,

Ethan

St. George:
Try going to your search engine and type in 'Bowler Hat' and you'll be amazed at the wealth of information you'll find.

Also - look at the Time Life series 'The Old West' and look at the one titled 'The Townsmen'.

Following that - go to your Public Library and look for a reprint turn-of-the-century 'Sears Roebuck & Co' or 'Montgomery Ward & Co' catalog.

While you're there - look over the Men's Costuming books

You'll figure it out.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

BrushyCreekDouglas:

--- Quote from: St. George on October 23, 2022, 02:00:44 PM ---Try going to your search engine and type in 'Bowler Hat' and you'll be amazed at the wealth of information you'll find.

Vaya,

Scouts Out!

--- End quote ---

Yes sir, have been doing a bit online was just curious what folks on here with interests in the same figure, location and time period may have found in their own research. A google search is nearly an information overload.

Advertising:

Coffinmaker:

:)  PLUS ONE for St. George   ;)  Learning can be a wonderful thing  8)

Dave T:
From researching my own Living History days in the last Century (20th not the 19th) I can tell you the coats you see Masterson portrayed in, in the pictures you posted, were called Town Coats.  They buttoned higher in the front that modern suit coats or sport coats.  Full 'Town Suits' were popular for business attire.  They featured matching trousers, vests, and coats - the 19th Century version of today's three-piece suit.

Dave

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version