Special Interests - Groups & Societies > The Winchester Model 1873

1873 Carrier Block Defective?

(1/5) > >>

KrazyK:
Hi Everyone! I just joined this week and this will be my first post. I am grateful to be a part of this community. I just acquired my first Miroku Winchester 1873 in 357/38 spl and plan to better myself with this rifle and hope to soon join up for some fun competition!

Unfortunately I am already having a problem with my 1873. It is the competition high grade carbine with round barrel. When I eject the spent cartridge, there are moments it'll get hung up between the carrier block and the extractor. I have disassembled and looked for everything and just got stumped as to what could be the issue. As I was slowly running some dummy rounds through today, I noticed the the top of the carrier block doesn't seem normal to me. The top two edges are both different. One side swoops up to a sharp point and the other is rounded off quite a bit, hence is actually lower than the other side. Also noticed the inner edges are not clean and very choppy. I have a feeling I have a bad carrier block which I would think is a warranty issue. Can anyone confirm if this block is possibly causing my problem? Thanks Y'all!!!

Abilene:
Howdy KK and welcome.

I'm not sure I understand the description of the jam.  Are you ejecting slowly, or with force.  Since there is only an extractor and no ejector on a '73, the carrier acts as the ejector, hitting the bottom of the brass casing and kicking it up and out of the extractor hook.  Going real slow can make it hang up a bit.  As for the shape of the carrier top, I have heard something about them coming with some shaping to make the cartridge kick off to the side (although lots of Mirokus throw them forward).  Maybe it is related to that.  There are other Miroku owners around these parts so I'm sure one of them can tell you how it compares to theirs.

That is some gorgeous case coloring!  Does it have nice wood as well?

KrazyK:

--- Quote from: Abilene on September 17, 2022, 04:51:33 PM ---Howdy KK and welcome.

I'm not sure I understand the description of the jam.  Are you ejecting slowly, or with force.  Since there is only an extractor and no ejector on a '73, the carrier acts as the ejector, hitting the bottom of the brass casing and kicking it up and out of the extractor hook.  Going real slow can make it hang up a bit.  As for the shape of the carrier top, I have heard something about them coming with some shaping to make the cartridge kick off to the side (although lots of Mirokus throw them forward).  Maybe it is related to that.  There are other Miroku owners around these parts so I'm sure one of them can tell you how it compares to theirs.

That is some gorgeous case coloring!  Does it have nice wood as well?

--- End quote ---
What you are describing is exactly what I have going on. Going slow will definitely hang up more, but when putting authority into it, it's pretty smooth sailing, but will have it's little hang-up here and there, where I would have to jimmy the lever a bit to get it loose and then keep going. Wasn't sure if that is common, or not. And thank you for the compliments on the coloring! The wood is incredible quality with great looks!

Advertising:

Cliff Fendley:
It does look a bit funky compared to an original or a Uberti. So much so that I would almost bet it's meant to be that way. My first thought was same as Abilene mentioned and thought maybe to cause the cartridges to eject at an angle which to me is silly, that's what hats are for.

Abilene:
Well, let's see the rest of the carbine!  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version