CAS TOPICS > Gun Reviews

Frontier .357 magnum

(1/7) > >>

Froogal:
Frontier .357 magnum from Cimarron. 7 1/2" barrel. I didn't like it very much right from the start, so it hasn't been fired very much. Today I discovered that it mis-fires about 1/2 of the time, and after examination of the spent rounds, it is very evident that the cylinder does not always index properly and then the hammer strikes the primer way off center. I may dig into it, or I may just take a loss and let someone else own it.

45 Dragoon:
Uberti or Pietta?

Mike

Abilene:
Cimarron Frontiers are Pietta. 

Sounds like it is probably over-rotating.  Does it only do it when you cock it fast?  I've heard of Pietta not doing a good job of fitting the bolt head to the cylinder notch.  That could be part of it.  A weak or cracked bolt spring could also. 

Advertising:

Froogal:

--- Quote from: Abilene on September 15, 2022, 03:26:49 PM ---Cimarron Frontiers are Pietta. 

Sounds like it is probably over-rotating.  Does it only do it when you cock it fast?  I've heard of Pietta not doing a good job of fitting the bolt head to the cylinder notch.  That could be part of it.  A weak or cracked bolt spring could also.

--- End quote ---

Makes no difference if I cock it fast or slow, and yes, it is a Pietta. Didn't realize that until I got it home. I saw "Cimarron" on the box and that was good enough for me. Lesson learned.

45 Dragoon:
Yes, Frontier's can be either/or. Mine is a Pietta  as well. When on half cock,  do the "clicks" get really soft when you roll the cylinder?
Mine had a rather out of spec hand window that prevented the hand from protruding far enough to fully  engage the ratchet.  I installed a new hand (since I had "worked on the original before realizing it was the opening) and a new bolt as well.  After a ton of mods it is now quite the "pistola" !! It's in 45C and I added  a 45acp cyl.  All that said, I wouldn't go out of my way for another one!! The Uberti Cattleman can be made into a "top o the line" SA for less.  An El Patron  is an even better base to start with.

Mike

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version