Author Topic: Change front sight on Colt 1860 Army  (Read 1372 times)

Offline ROAnutz

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Change front sight on Colt 1860 Army
« on: April 20, 2022, 02:23:54 PM »
I'm looking for a Gunsmith to change the front sight on my Colt 1860 Army. The one it has is so low, 1/10th of an in off the barrel, as to not only be invisible but to put its point of aim somewhere near the orbit of Mars.

I have another brass front sight from a Uberti 1872 Open Top that is about the same profile but is about twice as tall, about 0.20 off the barrel. The problem is, I can't get anyone to install it. I have watched the videos about doing it yourself and that is not for me. I'd rather pay someone than take the chance.

Offline willy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
Re: Change front sight on Colt 1860 Army
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2022, 04:45:13 PM »
Had the same problem with a 51 navy,, used a dremel to lower the ears on the hammer,,also made the rear sight picture square,,and filed the sides of the cone front sight giving me a sighr picture of a square post and square notch rear sight,,It took a bit of time of shooting and tweaking the sight to get it to shoot to point of aim,,But now it has taken the place of my S&w model 17 for my small game handgun.

Offline kwilliams1876

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2022, 09:46:50 AM »
You can have a dovetail sight installed, many originals seem to have this alteration.
kw

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:35:29 AM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2024, 07:30:28 AM »

:) Hey Anutz  ;)

It certainly sounds like you have a typical Uberti 1860.  Front sight almost as tall as a dead flea.  Unfortunately, I'm retired.  HOWEVER:

I would recommend you contact 45 Dragoon (Mike Bracket) at Goons's Gunworks.  It is actually a simple job and you may only need to send him the Barrel.

Offline 45 Dragoon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 123
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2024, 10:03:17 PM »
:) Hey Anutz  ;)

It certainly sounds like you have a typical Uberti 1860.  Front sight almost as tall as a dead flea.  Unfortunately, I'm retired.  HOWEVER:

I would recommend you contact 45 Dragoon (Mike Bracket) at Goons's Gunworks.  It is actually a simple job and you may only need to send him the Barrel.

Thanks Mike !  I just today finally got to test newly installed front sights on both my '60's  in 45acp. I replaced them with '72 Open-top front sights  and they both now shoot to point of aim. 

ROAnutz, I'd be happy to help you out, PM me a phone number and a good time to call.

Thuther Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @goonsgunworks

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1181
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2024, 11:31:50 PM »
You guys know, you are talking to someone who hasn't been back on this site in the nearly 2 years since his post above.   :)

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2024, 08:49:42 AM »

:) Oh Gee Abilene  :o

Pretty obvious I'll talk to just about anybody.  Heck, I even talk with 45 Dragoon often.  So There  ::)

Hope he got his front sight fix'd.

Hey thuther Mike!!  Since Hacksaw McGurk stopped by, my 1860s have somewhat shorter barrels.  So I dovetailed some swell solid brass front sights.  Point of Aim and Point of Impact are pretty much same same (after a tad of filing of course).  The Kirst Konverter with 45 ACP cylinders are the Beez Kneeze you betcha!!

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1181
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2024, 09:06:16 AM »
...Hope he got his front sight fix'd....

Well, while we're on that subject, I have a related question.  '51 Navy (Uberti conversions) - how to replace small front brass bead with taller brass bead?  I have the taller ones, but do I just grab the old one with pliers and twist it out?  And how to press in the new ones?  I have one of those small vices that sit on the table, but I don't know if that would be suitable.

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2024, 09:44:06 PM »
:) Oh Gee Abilene  :o

Pretty obvious I'll talk to just about anybody.  Heck, I even talk with 45 Dragoon often.  So There  ::)

Ah My Dear Coffin & Abilene

talking to anyone? I find myself talking to Siri now....
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2024, 10:36:46 AM »

:)  Abilene  ;)

That itty bitty nub of a post front sight is first press fit, then staked.  To get them out in the past, I have grabbed the little brass thingie with Vice Grips, they laid small steel rule on the top barrel flat and "rocked" the vice grip back onto the rule to prevent gouging the barrel.

I will admit, I have never tried re-installing an itty bitty post.  I have always tossed it and dovetailed a swell solid BRASS front sight.  I don't have the "staking" tool for one of those post thingies.  Could press fit with a small dollop of JB Weld though.  Drill press should work well as the "press."

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com