Author Topic: WTB: USFA Custer Battlefield 7th Cavalry SAA Revolver  (Read 549 times)

Offline 1/7Trooper

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
WTB: USFA Custer Battlefield 7th Cavalry SAA Revolver
« on: January 21, 2022, 06:19:52 PM »
Good Afternoon from Oklahoma,

I've been looking to buy a USFA Custer Battlefield SAA Revolver since they first came out years ago. The problem then was, I was in Ft. Hood as a member of the 7th Cavalry( I was in the 7th from 2008-2012) and I couldn't afford one. Being in the 7th had been a dream of mine since childhood. I was a history fanatic since I was a child I read and watched as many documentaries as I could particularly from the Civil War-Vietnam Era as well as Aviation History. Growing up in Oklahoma I heard lots about Custer and even went to school with relatives one of his Pawnee Scouts.

One Day I saw 'Little Big Man' and was introduced to the 'Character' of General Custer and his 7th Cavalry. For some reason, even as a kid I liked what I saw, even though what I saw was far from the truth (As Far as the Portrayal of Custer). That film had a lot to do with turning a True American Warrior and Hero as well as his men into a band of bloodthirsty murderers attacking innocent Native Americans, one after the other after the other. It also had everything to do with me attempting to set the record straight about the man who Hollywood and a One Sided Media Villainized. (Somehow it's even worse in 2022).

None of the above is important, just a little introduction I suppose. Anyways, for the last two years I've been trying to find one of the USFA Custer Battlefield Single Action Army's. I've come very close but would forget to check my inbox on a forum for a week and miss one. Or get outbid. Or being unable to afford one again.

Over the last year I've been looking extremely hard for one. I've tried just about every forum until someone on the Colt forum told me to check out this site. I've watched a local group of Cowboy action shooters come to a Range I go to for National Match M1 Competition. I always loved it. I played Drums in High School and at Ft. Hood was in a Fife and Drum band which played 'Garry Owen' (Among others as well) but Garry Owen due to the history of the regiment, and I can't describe the feeling it gives you. I was a Cavalry Scout but we played Garry Owen on Fife in Drum on both of my deployments. I've been to Little Bighorn 4 times and played it twice on 'Last Stand Hill' the first time it was just me and the Drum, the second I found an outstanding Fife player and the Two of us played it there. Both times were an emotional experience. Anyways, I've been playing with the Cowboy Action Shooters who have a good string, drum, brass, and fife ensemble.

I keep rambling, again I apologize. I am looking to buy one of the USFA Custer Battlefield Single Action's. I would be forever indebted to someone out there who has one they would be willing to sell. Plus I couldn't imagine a better birthday Gift to myself (Feb 3). Regardless, I'm glad to be a member here and I truly appreciate any help and your time for reading this.

If you happen to have one you want to sell, please send me a PM.

(I had a guy reply to one of my previous WTB ads for one and someone replied to my post that they had one they would sale. So when I PM'd him he told me someone saw his post on my WTB thread and beat me to it).

Thanks again,

Jake

"Garry Owen"!

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 611
Re: WTB: USFA Custer Battlefield 7th Cavalry SAA Revolver
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2022, 06:43:26 PM »
I can certainly appreciate why you would want this particular model.  But have you considered an Italian 7th Cavalry?  Prices on those have NOT skyrocketed, and you could have one in your hands waaaay easier and cheaper than the USFA, even if you opt for the traditional bone case hardening. They are still being made, after all.  Then continue your search for the USFA.  You can easily sell it later if you want.  I love mine:
https://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php?topic=63272.0

Good luck, and I appreciate your service.  ;)

Let me also add: the Classifieds is the right place for this, but you should also make a post on the USFA forum on this site.  Those guys are always looking, and some of them might not check the Classifieds.

Offline DeaconKC

• Retired Predator Hunter
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 110215
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1901
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2022, 07:09:29 PM »
Colt is once again making SAAs. Starting at $1799 for an actual Colt in 7 1/2".
SASS DeaconKC
The Deacon AZSA
BOLD 1088
RATS 739
STORM 448
Driver for Howard, Fine & Howard
Veterinary & Taxidermy Clinic
"Either way, you get your dog back"

Offline PowderRiverCowboy

• Citizen
  • SASS #: 43839
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2022, 09:14:06 PM »
Well, without going into details , Nothing beats a Original , But I havent seen one for a while (Black Hills )  Since you are in Oklahoma , should should go To Fort Sill, ad Lots of Custer , Sheridan (CG lives in Sheridan house ) and of course Geronimo (Stayed as Incoming Prior Service in the old Hospital where He died ) weird building.
  Now if you are By Elk county OK watch the rodeo scene A old Bull riding buddy of mine is there Cody Custer 92 world BR champ. is a direct descendent of Custer  .
  My Grand dad knew Charles Windolph MOH Little Big Horn with Reno .  But just a old Jarhead/ soldier her was with AWG alot 8 years deployed done with that crap :)
 While none of that Helps you find what you are looking for , but will keep a look out for you and as mentioned the Cimarron 7th Cav is decent  just depends on your budget .

Offline Buffalo Creek Law Dog

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2022, 01:15:12 PM »
Well, without going into details , Nothing beats a Original , But I havent seen one for a while (Black Hills )  Since you are in Oklahoma , should should go To Fort Sill, ad Lots of Custer , Sheridan (CG lives in Sheridan house ) and of course Geronimo (Stayed as Incoming Prior Service in the old Hospital where He died ) weird building.
  Now if you are By Elk county OK watch the rodeo scene A old Bull riding buddy of mine is there Cody Custer 92 world BR champ. is a direct descendent of Custer  .
  My Grand dad knew Charles Windolph MOH Little Big Horn with Reno .  But just a old Jarhead/ soldier her was with AWG alot 8 years deployed done with that crap :)
 While none of that Helps you find what you are looking for , but will keep a look out for you and as mentioned the Cimarron 7th Cav is decent  just depends on your budget .

Cody Custer would have to be a direct descendent of George Custer's brother Nevin as George, Tom and Boston did not have known offspring.
SASS 66621
BOLD 678
AFS 43
NFA
ABPA

Advertisers

« Reply #5 on: Today at 09:46:51 PM »

Offline PowderRiverCowboy

• Citizen
  • SASS #: 43839
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2022, 03:44:31 PM »
Cody Custer would have to be a direct descendent of George Custer's brother Nevin as George, Tom and Boston did not have known offspring.
What I meant to say in my head just didnt make it to type :)

Offline Pangaea

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2022, 11:34:35 AM »
I have two of them.  I’d let one go for what I have in it.  I live in OKC, may not be too far from you.

Offline Darto

• Top Active Citizen
  • Step right up the wooden board on the wall !
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2022, 04:34:05 AM »
Here's an odd tidbit. And off topic,  ;D

The Queen piece (hat off) on this chess set is Tom Custer, a double medal of honor winner, and George's aide de camp at Little Bighorn. George Custer is the King standing next to him.

-----------------------------

A short article about Thomas Custer:

https://www.nps.gov/libi/learn/historyculture/capt-tom-custer.htm
----------------------------

The chess set:

The set was originally a Fame brand set, and this is a Turkish copy of that set (I do have one here at our house).
This Turkish copy (over priced) is still in production.  This company in Istanbul makes copies of old out production chess sets.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/935708332/chess-set-indians-and-europeans-chess

This was the original FAME branded set (no longer in production and now impossible to find):
https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/little-big-horn-chess-set-free-413703183

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 554
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2022, 09:21:25 AM »
Colt is once again making SAAs. Starting at $1799 for an actual Colt in 7 1/2".

The problem is, a third gen Colt with a 7-1/2" barrel is a far cry from the SAAs carried by the 7th Cav.  The sights are wrong: front should be tapered and the rear notch is a "v" shape.  The ejector rod head is the later half moon design, not the bullseye design the guns Custer's men carried.  The frame on the 3rd Gens is not the black powder frame of the original, nore doe sthe cylinder have the black powder bevel on the leading edge.  The hammer should be case hardened matching the frame and the stocks should be one piece walnut.  The new Colt won't have the cartouche on the bottom of the stocks, nor will it have the partial serial numbers stamped on the cylinder, barrel and other parts.  Finally a 3rd Gen Colt will not have the inspectors initials stamped on every major component.

The USFA revolver the OP is looking for has all of these characteristics and the fit and finish matches the original first generation SAAs, exceeding that of the 3rd gen offerings.

Dave

Offline Yellowhouse Sam

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2022, 10:37:39 AM »
There are still some Peacemaker Centennial Colts floating around.  If you can live with the centennial barrel marks (I sure can).
SASS #25171
NRA
Retarred and Member of KMA
SBSS
"Sammy done his da**ndest, Angels could do no more" (From lyrics of Andy Wilkinson"

Advertisers

« Reply #10 on: Today at 09:46:51 PM »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2022 CAScity.com