Author Topic: Dovetail front sight on 66 carbine?  (Read 1079 times)

Offline nativeshootist

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Dovetail front sight on 66 carbine?
« on: November 30, 2021, 04:52:00 PM »
Has anyone tried dovetailing a 66 carbine recently? i saw one on i think was sasswire. I have a 45 colt carbine and looking at the barrel i don't see much on the barrel for one. was just curious. I took mine hunting recently and found out that the front sight was crooked due to sliding. barrel band screw was tight.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
Re: Dovetail front sight on 66 carbine?
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2021, 05:44:54 PM »
I'm thinking the barrel on a .45 would be too thin.  You could slice the sight off the barrel band and dovetail that maybe?  But that doesn't help with a twisting barrel band accuracy issue.

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2021, 07:15:57 PM »
http://www.pioneergunworks.com/uberti-rifle-parts

/Users/waynenordwall/Desktop/image-asset.png

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:14:36 AM »

Offline nativeshootist

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2021, 12:11:43 AM »
I was thinking about buying that front sight. but the problem was with the barrel band sliding to the right.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2021, 08:59:30 AM »

Unfortunately, with the barrel in .45, there isn't a lot of metal there for a dovetail.  Very easy to wind up with a hole thru to the bore.  Not recommended.

Also, often the barrel band is slightly oversize for the OD of the barrel and even with the screw tight, the band won't grip.  If it's a Uberti, normally, the screw is not only tight, it is also seized and an absolute PITA to get out.  Usually drilling and needing a new barrel band.  I can recommend the barrel band from Pioneer.  Usually snugs down just fine, although you may need to twist it back into alignment on occasion.  I would also recommend reference marks for returning the sight to "zero" when needed.

Play Safe Out There

Offline Baltimore Ed

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 11754
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 189
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2021, 12:53:01 PM »
Don’t know how smith talented you are but the screw in the center could be replaced with a larger one that would need a notch into the bbl and magazine. Would have to drill and tap. But I would give pioneer gun works a call and get id dimensions to see if it’s tighter than whats on your rifle. If it is then try it. I put one on my Trapper and had to do a LOT of work to get it on my shorter 1894 bbl but it works great with the DGW carbine rear sight. I do wish the bead was smaller.
"Give'em hell, Pike"
 There is no horse so dead that you cannot continue to beat it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com