Author Topic: Light hammer strikes with new firing pin safety 3 click Uberti SAA?  (Read 3058 times)

Offline Virginia Gentleman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Here's a McRib for Allah
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
Have any of you had this problem (light hammer/firing pin strikes and no ignition in the ammo)  with the new 3 click floating firing pin safety newer model Ubertis?  Is there a solution that does not involve replacing the hammer with a traditional one?

Offline GeezerD

• Very Active Citizen
  • "Back Off Varmints"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Light hammer strikes with new firing pin safety 3 click Uberti SAA?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2021, 07:55:37 AM »
In the past year or so I have had a half dozen customers come in with the same issue on the new Uberti SAA with the new safety hammer. While the system could possibly be modified, it is much easier to replace it with old style parts. I have been able to obtain new old style hammers and triggers from Taylors for less than $100. -------- GeezerD

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2021, 08:30:58 AM »
 :)  Well heck,

We all know I retired just before that stupid Uberti “Safety” thingie was fostered upon us.  I have however taken a few jobs just to keep “my hand in.”

Regardless of my opinion of that Stupid Firing Pin, I’m with GeezerD.  Frankly, piddling around with odd solutions is just silly.  Change out the hammer/trigger and be done with it.

I believe I may have mentioned in passing, I don’t like Uberti hand guns and the retracting firing pin is one more real good reason to not like Uberti.

Stay well Geezer!!!!

Advertising

Offline GeezerD

• Very Active Citizen
  • "Back Off Varmints"
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2021, 05:54:38 AM »
Coffinmaker - I have been retired for a little over 10 years now. But working on guns is one of the only things that is still enjoyable to me.

In a couple of weeks, I'm getting a pacemaker/defib implant to add to the list of things that are not enjoyable. If I had known that I was going to live this long, I would have taken better care of myself. --------------------- GeezerD

Offline lv2tinker

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 46
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2022, 09:05:22 AM »
Have any of you had this problem (light hammer/firing pin strikes and no ignition in the ammo)  with the new 3 click floating firing pin safety newer model Ubertis?  Is there a solution that does not involve replacing the hammer with a traditional one?

Just replace the weak Main Spring with a regular one from Taylor's & Company.
Then it will go BANG every time.

Happy shooting...

Offline bear tooth billy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS Senator
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 51
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2022, 10:39:49 AM »
Have you tried Federal primers, they go off easier. I have an original Spencer that
had a terrible trigger pull(20) lbs. I Put in a lighter hammer spring and then had
problems with rounds going off. Switched to Federal primers and so far problem solved

BTB
Born 110 years too late

Offline James Henry Parker

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2023, 05:31:08 PM »
I just fixed mine it was pretty easy after just looking at it and studying it out . Keep all original parts in except for the spring . I will try to take picks tomorrow when I do the other one . It will take the headache out .

Offline Froogal

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3882
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 572
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2023, 08:14:09 AM »
I've never encountered an issue with any of my Uberti's, but my Pietta could use a new hammer and firing pin assembly. It had issues right out of the box.

Offline Tronicst1

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 4
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2023, 11:57:11 AM »
I changed out the Hammer and Trigger for the old style, non-safety Hammer and Trigger on my Uberti Dalton, works good.

https://www.longhunt.com/storelh/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=424

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 14753
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 165
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2023, 08:18:17 AM »
Are these a simple drop in? Or is smithing required?
King Medallion

Offline Tronicst1

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2023, 09:13:31 AM »
Mine just dropped right in, easy peasy.

Offline Tronicst1

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2023, 09:26:13 AM »

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2023, 09:31:28 AM »
Might have to order a couple, just cuz. They fit any Uberti SAA 3 clicker?
King Medallion

Online Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2023, 11:24:44 AM »
Might have to order a couple, just cuz. They fit any Uberti SAA 3 clicker?

Yep.  Except for the short stroke models (well, I can't swear they will work on stainless models).  I have two of those hammer/trigger kits, one bought from Taylors and one from SASS Classifieds, like you, "just cuz" in case I find a deal on 3-clickers that I like.  You can buy the same parts from VTI-gunparts, but they are considerably more expensive there than Taylors or Longhunter for some reason.

Offline Cheyenne Logan

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 5269
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 69
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2023, 12:29:39 PM »
I have one Uberti which had the 3 click hammer, never had trouble with misfiring, but did not like the amount of overtravel the trigger had once the sear released.......you could feel the sear release, though I pulled through, my youngest was constantly have misfiring problems, and it was easily duplicated by stopping the trigger pull after you felt the sear release.......changed out with standard old style parts, upside is no worries about light strikes, and an improved trigger pull.

so many keep blaming Uberti for imposing this safety on us.......it was not Uberti's idea, nor any lawyers, we can thank the politicians for this as to be able to import a revolver, it has to have a safety that will pass the ATF drop test to be approved for importation. Uberti used to make a safety hammer with the pivoting block on it, activated by putting the hammer on the safety notch....this had several moving parts and was/is prone to having a failure that allows the block to 'free float' and it drops and does it's job by not letting the gun fire until it is repaired or removed........the newer safety is actually a simplier approach and the hammer doesn't have any visible contraption on it like the old one.........now, the old model hammer is approved for importation because of it using the old Hammerli Virginian "Swiss Safe", which is a long base pin rod with 2 positions, one which acts as a safety.  Other markets may also require the safety hammer, and the ones sold by Stoeger (Beretta owned) all have the safety hammers.....the importers, Taylors, Cimarron, etc. could simply specify only the four click hammer/base pin be used.....as the MP line from Cimarron was at one time, but this probably would cost a bit more.....which would raise the price, besides they make more $$$ by selling you the gun, then selling you the "upgrade" parts.

Online Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2023, 02:12:08 PM »
Cheyenne, that is very interesting regarding the trigger pull technique and light strikes, have not heard that before.  Makes sense.

The Old Model (BP frame) Model P from Cimarron continues to have the regular Colt-style 4-click hammer (without the hammer-block wedge below the firing pin), and the two-position base pin.

Offline John Spartan

• Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2023, 06:25:39 AM »
Good morning all.
1) In regards to light strikes, to affirm what Cheyenne said, you must do a “complete” trigger pull. If there is not pressure on the trigger the safety mechanism (retractable firing pin) will engage.

2) Saw a video posted by a gentlemen who was having light/no strike troubles and sent to gun to Cimarron’s repair place. They sent it back after an unknown “adjustment” and now it works fine.

3) FWIW read somewhere (wish I could find it again) that some metal part in the safety was of softer metal then it should have been and Uberti has switched to a harder metal part that has taken care of a problem. #1 still applies though as it is a “feature.”

Offline King Medallion

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2023, 10:21:36 AM »
I ordered a couple 4 clicker hammer's, just cuz. be here monday.  :)
King Medallion

Online Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2023, 10:28:42 AM »
I ordered a couple 4 clicker hammer's, just cuz. be here monday.  :)
Did you order the matching triggers?

Offline wildman1

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 169
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2023, 06:34:12 AM »
Looks to be two different styles of lawyer safeties in those Ubertis.
wM1
WARTHOG, Dirty Rat #600, BOLD #1056, CGCS,GCSAA, NMLRA, NRA, AF&AM, CBBRC.  If all that cowboy has ever seen is a stockdam, he ain't gonna believe ya when ya tell him about whales.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com