CAS TOPICS > The Leather Shop

Sunday Holster

<< < (2/12) > >>

StrawHat:

--- Quote from: Marshal Will Wingam on August 20, 2020, 03:38:36 PM ---...A couple more photos to give a clearer picture of the construction. The trigger guard looks to be exposed when the pistol is in it. The last two pics look like a modern made one....

--- End quote ---

Yes, the triggerguards were left exposed. They were made from a thinner piece of leather and laminated with a half lining that protected the wearer’s clothes.

Brill was a saddler originally but got out of it and became a retailer. He employed many leathersmiths and the stitching on the back of the holster can give the experts an idea of who made the holster and when.

Retention is solely by the welt and when properly made they are like a vault. These are not one size fits all gunbuckets. Each holster is crafted to a specific pistol or revolver.

The toe is sewn to the skirt in such a way as to draw the handle of the piece closer to the body making it a good concealer. In many ways the Sunday holster could be considered one of the first concealed holsters.

The story goes that when the Texas Rangers were being used more and more in the big cities, they were told to loose the gunbelts and wear there handguns more hidden so as not to disturb the gentry.  One of the Captains came up with the idea for a holster to be worn on the recently introduced trouser belts. It no longer needed to be a thick heavy holster but the lamination and the welt construction made them lightweight, rigid and strong.

I want another one for one of my revolvers but finding originals and in usable condition isn not easy. So, I am hoping to find someone who can make a very good copy.

Here are some I own. They are close but lacking some of the finer points.

This holster is holding an I frame.

Kevin

StrawHat:
Okay, try to post the photo this time.

Kevin

StrawHat:
Here is a group shot. Left fits the I frame, middle the N frame and right fits the 1911. All are visually correct but lack some of the finer points.

Kevin

Advertising:

Marshal Will Wingam:
I figured that wedge of leather between the toe and the skirt was to cant the grip close to the wearer's body. I like the design.

StrawHat:
If anyone here has made a copy, or can make a copy, get in touch with me. I need another one.

Thank you.

Kevin

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version