Author Topic: Standard Manufacturing Company SAA  (Read 7702 times)

Offline russ1943

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
Standard Manufacturing Company SAA
« on: June 22, 2019, 12:06:15 PM »
Does anyone know if Standard's SAA a 2nd generation Colt specs or a 3rd generation Colt specs

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
Re: Standard Manufacturing Company SAA
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2019, 01:35:04 PM »
Have heard some say Uberti specs.  ??

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2019, 03:34:30 PM »
Until someone takes apart their $2000 clone and measures it, it is hard to say since Standard is playing mute and maintaining that they re-invented the most perfect, most precision, most bestest SAA from whole cloth all by themselves with no outside help, using magic pistol pixie dust.

However, since we do know they are ?just down the street? from the now defunct USFA joint, and boots on the ground have reported that ?someone? picked up the leased CNC gear, and I highly doubt that the extradorniarily valuable commodity of CNC programs were just deleted ( in the computer world these are  called Intellectual Properties and are given value and auctioned off during liquidation and or court proceedings ) .... well one can speculate!

And inspired sources have related that before Uberti was swallowed  by Beretta they had been working hand in hand with USFA ... which almost certainly included sharing certain software ....

Sooooo ,  with no real data ! My WAG  and inclination is to agree with Abilene.

Unfortunately I don?t have 2k to blow on a Sunday Barbecue Pistol that is probably just a better fitted Ubsetis so I will probably never know....

Hope this helps
And if it doesn?t at least I am contributing to stirring up controversy
So as to keep Bunk, Coffin, etc all from dying of boredom...

Yhs
Prof pot stirrer
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 06:43:54 AM »

Offline Virginia Gentleman

• Top Active Citizen
  • Here's a McRib for Allah
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 24
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2019, 09:23:28 PM »
They may indeed be using the USFA CNC machines and CAD programming, but their materials are superior with the very Colt-like 4 hammer clicks and the hardened firing pin shield not found on Ubertis.  There is a Youtube video where the gun is broken down to its components and found to be better than Colt and the Italian clones.  It is more 1st generation than 2nd generation in its format and nothing like a 3rd gen Colt.  The big question has always been, is it worth 4-5 times the cost for say a 35% increase in quality.  That is a personal decision that the buyer needs to make.  Personally, they remind me of USFAs.

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1118
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2019, 11:38:13 PM »
My Good Gentleman

Thanks very much , your info is far superior to my WAG.

Hopefully this thread can stir up some interest and we can get more replies to entertain everyone....

Yhs
Prof Marvel
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline willy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2019, 12:25:26 AM »
What I seen of the Standard on the net and reviews, it seems like a pretty nice copy of a gun made in 1916...

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2019, 02:46:29 PM »

Well.  Well well well.  Expert .... An Ex is a "has been" and a "Spert" merely a "Drip Under Pressure".

So ...... I'll wade in.  I have had access to a "Standard Manufacturing" example of the ubiquitous SAA.  It is a Replicant.  It is NOT a Clone.  In dimensions is closer to a Uberti/USFA than it is to an actual Colt.  I Uberti Cylinder is a drop in with minor fitting, and the USFA Lock Works would be right at home.  My Opine from a Gunplumber's point of view.  Like USFA, the Standard is VERY well made.  It is not however, worth the price.  It is an 11 or 12 hundred dollar gun .... maybe.

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2019, 05:37:56 PM »
Well...if the Standard Single Action is a $1200 gun, the 3rd Generation Colt isn't worth a single dollar more than a Uberti, and they must be over priced too!

YMMV,
Dave

Offline russ1943

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2019, 05:44:29 PM »
Just wondering since both my USFA s/n 25XXX, and 23XXX are 2nd generation Colt Spcs,  at least for the cylinder and hand, since a 2nd generation Colt cylinder is a drop in perfect timing. I got Uberti cylinder from Numrich which was suppose to fit and it wouldn't even fit into the frame window. I would assume the last USFAs made would be what Standard is using as Spcs, if they bought USFA CAD equipment. But who knows?  Thanks for the responses.

Offline willy

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2019, 06:50:44 PM »
Well...if the Standard Single Action is a $1200 gun, the 3rd Generation Colt isn't worth a single dollar more than a Uberti, and they must be over priced too!

YMMV,
Dave

I agree 100%,,,after looking at a few 3gen Colt SAA I would say Uberti is way ahead of Colt in the fitting department.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2019, 08:16:32 PM »

YMMV,
Dave

100% truth and I will post the video that has the direct Standard, USFA. Colt and Uberti comparison and it reflects the points you made.

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2019, 08:19:44 PM »
Here is where the myths stop and the truth comes out when comparing USFA, Standard, Colt and Uberti.  A long video but well worth it with no details left out.  One spoiler, 3rd generation Colt SAAs are not the best option or the best quality.  Uberti is also better than the nay sayers think.

Enjoy.

Offline russ1943

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2019, 11:48:03 AM »
From the video above it looks like USFA all USA made is the best out of the bunch.
Thanks for the video Virginia Gentlemen

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2019, 11:27:02 PM »
This morning Dutch Van Horn showed me his 7 1/2" .45 just bought for $2K.  He's not sure if he will shoot it or not.  I handled it briefly and was impressed.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #14 on: June 30, 2019, 09:47:57 AM »

WHAT!!!!  Why on earth buy a New Toy and then not play with it!!  At's as bad as a parent buying a TONKA truck and then packing it away inna closet to "keep it nice" still in its package.  No WAY!!

I AM NOT OPINIONATED!!  So There   ;D

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2019, 07:05:01 PM »
OD3 another EXECLLENT video
No agenda , just good solid visual reporting. thumbs up !

I have to say, I feel a gun is to be shot used and enjoyed by its owner, that's why I bought it (them)
  I can respect the concept of saving one for posterity, But I'm a steward rather then curator. 
My point is I'm caring for and using my guns, not saving them for future heirs or profiteers...   
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • Liked:
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2019, 07:54:17 PM »
I've never bought a gun as an investment, though I can understand a desire to do that. My small collection of Colt snakes were bought to shoot and shot a lot but luckily became great investments anyway!  Too bad I didn't get into shooting back when SAA's, Winchesters, etc. were still inexpensive. The friend that showed me his Standard may well shoot it.  I don't know what other guns he may own, but he shoots engraved nickled ivoried Colts and engraved nickled '73, nickled '97.   So he can afford nice toys.  :)

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2019, 10:07:16 AM »
The video shows the factual non mythical facts about each gun.  What impressed me was that the Uberti for what you pay for it is still a very good gun, but the USFA and Standard are indeed a big cut above and that the Colt in the 3rd generation is to me at least a marketing scheme that many fall into.

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 415
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2019, 12:46:57 PM »
The video shows the factual non mythical facts about each gun.  What impressed me was that the Uberti for what you pay for it is still a very good gun, but the USFA and Standard are indeed a big cut above and that the Colt in the 3rd generation is to me at least a marketing scheme that many fall into.

To be fair, it is pointed out the Colt tested is of 1983 vintage.....

when the UAW was in strike mode ?.not only did Colt suffer , but auto industry also had quality control , strike  issues.
when planets align...do the deal !

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2019, 07:51:47 PM »
To be fair, it is pointed out the Colt tested is of 1983 vintage.....

when the UAW was in strike mode ?.not only did Colt suffer , but auto industry also had quality control , strike  issues.

True and I agree it is a factor.  Colt has cleaned its act up but they only did that when the tuned imports and USFA started putting them to shame in the quality department.  I wouldn't say Colt is that much better....for the money than the Uberti, but when compared to USFA and Standard it falls behind in quality AND authenticity to the original design. 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com