Author Topic: Anyone have extensive use of a carbine on horseback?  (Read 346 times)

Online Galloway

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Anyone have extensive use of a carbine on horseback?
« on: April 22, 2024, 08:36:30 PM »
I have several lever action rifles and carbines but never actually carried them in a scabbard. For shooting i much prefer the sights and radius of the 24'' rifle platform. Has anyone found the saddle ring carbine to be ideal or better suited than the rifle out of a scabbard? I'm more interested in hunting scenarios than the bandits are on our tail experiences. The rifle never seemed like much of a handicap to me, but I've never spent days on horseback either. Thanks

Offline matt45

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 13
Re: Anyone have extensive use of a carbine on horseback?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2024, 09:25:48 AM »
I've never used the saddle ring on the different carbines, and I've never seen them used on actual carrying vis-a-viz riding and hunting- not to say other folks don't have different experience.  I always dismounted if I was going to take a rifle shot, so the shorter barrels could be a little handier drawing out of the scabbard, but the best luck I had was with either my old 1894 (26" barrel) or my model 71 with the 24" barrel.  I've taken one or two shots with a pistol off a horse, but the ensuing rodeo is not worth the fuss.  Now, my experience may be far different from most folks that have a lot more experience than I do ;)

Offline St. George

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS , GAF, B.O.L.D., Order of St. George, SOCOM,
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2024, 10:26:18 AM »
The saddle ring was a military thing, back when it was used in conjunction with a sling across the body.

That way, the trooper could fire the single round - drop the piece and yet retain it to reload to try again.

The Cavalry actually practiced this and trained for it - as they did with trained mounts - that's something civilians generally did not do.

Also - Cavalry fought dismounted - using a horse handler to handle the reins during the action - they fully understood that a standing or kneeling man could probably actually hit his target without the pitching and movement of a horse.

Weapon retention was a valuable idea - no doubt leading to the inclusion of saddle rings on carbines later in time, but there were no corresponding slings - largely because the weapon now used a scabbard, instead of the loop of the saddle's equipment that held the barrel in one place.

The military discontinued used of the ring around 1896, with the first of the Krag carbines - it stayed on civilian carbines to this day.

Unless the horse has been trained to ignore gunfire, his appreciation of hearing the round being fired is less than optimal, so if you're going to take that shot - better get screwed down...

Scouts Out!
"It Wasn't Cowboys and Ponies - It Was Horses and Men.
It Wasn't Schoolboys and Ladies - It Was Cowtowns and Sin..."

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 10:27:05 AM »

Online Niederlander

• American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 6
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2024, 10:51:36 AM »
The Army went to a scabbard for a couple of reasons.  The old carbine sling and socket did absolutely nothing to protect the piece, and it also pretty much ensured the carbine stock would be broken and the trooper injured if he was thrown while wearing it.  Personally, me being on a horse, especially if I tried to fire a firearm while there, would be extremely bad for both me and the horse!
"There go those Nebraskans, and all hell couldn't stop them!"

Offline Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 99
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2024, 11:16:04 AM »
Go a bit further back and guerillas, I do not really remember reading much about carbines with them.  I read shotguns, then pistols, lots and lots of pistols.   

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2024, 08:36:56 AM »
 A lot of the old guys I grew up around in ranch country had saddle ring 94 winchester carbines. They said that the great thing about it was you could just hang the rifle from the saddle horn and not worry about loosing it out of a scabbard, and it served as a safety to keep the rifle from sliding out of the scabbard
 From my personal experience I find little difference between carrying a 20 inch or 24 inch lever rifle such as the 95 and 94 winchesters or any of the Marlins and Savage.
So I would say it just mostly depends on your preference after the horse is tied or hobbled.
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

Offline Hair Trigger Jim

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 914
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2024, 10:13:54 AM »
A lot of the old guys I grew up around in ranch country had saddle ring 94 winchester carbines. They said that the great thing about it was you could just hang the rifle from the saddle horn and not worry about loosing it out of a scabbard, and it served as a safety to keep the rifle from sliding out of the scabbard
 From my personal experience I find little difference between carrying a 20 inch or 24 inch lever rifle such as the 95 and 94 winchesters or any of the Marlins and Savage.
So I would say it just mostly depends on your preference after the horse is tied or hobbled.

Are you saying they hung it from the saddle horn without a scabbard, or they tied it to the saddle horn while in the scabbard so it wouldn't fall out?  Or both?

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 423
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2024, 10:24:49 AM »
Since it has been brought up...

As a Cavalry Reenactor, for some 30 years, I did sling a Sharps Carbine with an original snap hook and carbine thimble.
I also slung a Henry in Sling over may back from time to time.
Neither was comfortable, particularly at the canter, or gallop... The Henry could and occasionally did pop you in the back of your head.
The Sharps was heavy, and yanked on your shoulder, and on dismount and slung over the shoulder could and did smack you. You learned quickly to dismount without arching your back.
On the other hand, I had a M 1904 scabbard for my O3 in WW1 impression.
When it was rigged as regulation, it was under your leg and O4 stirrup strap making close contact leg grip uncomfortable.

when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Ranch 13

• Top Active Citizen
    • Historic Shooting.com
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 8
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2024, 11:28:54 AM »
Are you saying they hung it from the saddle horn without a scabbard, or they tied it to the saddle horn while in the scabbard so it wouldn't fall out?  Or both?

Both
Eat more beef the west wasn't won on a salad.

Offline Trailrider

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Gunfighter Zone
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2024, 07:55:18 PM »
When I was much younger and hunting with an outfitter on horseback, I packed a pre-64 M70 in a scabbard, butt rear, muzzle slightly down, under my right leg. The barrel was shortened to 21-3/8 inches, with a Weaver K-4 scope. The scabbard I made myself. I would dismount, reach over the horse and pull the rifle from the scabbard. Worked fine.
Ride to the sound of the guns, but watch out for bushwhackers! Godspeed to all in harm's way in the defense of Freedom! God Bless America!

Your obedient servant,
Trailrider,
Bvt. Lt. Col. Commanding,
Southern District
Dept. of the Platte, GAF

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com