Author Topic: All Brass Shotshell Question  (Read 1602 times)

Offline Pinback

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
All Brass Shotshell Question
« on: June 01, 2021, 09:01:28 PM »
I'm trying to prime my 16 gauge Magtech brass shotshells. I ruined my vintage cast iron priming tool, snapped one of the handles off. The large pistol primers are too big to fit the primer pocket. I am asking for the best method of gently reaming out the primer pocket to accommodate the primer. I have a vintage Herter's 16 gauge shell holder but it's not the correct size to fit in my Rock Chucker press. I've had great success using my 12 gauge "Cowboy" Die Set, but unfortunately they don't make one in 16 gauge. Now I'll have to try and find another 16 gauge "capper" tool. Any help would be appreciated to make this loading process possible. Thank you
"The constitution shall never be construed...to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."  Alexander Hamilton

Offline Cap'n Redneck

• Commd'g Co. D, Frontier Batt'n, Texas Rangers.
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Cap'n Redneck SWS #163.
  • GAF #: 273
  • Liked:
Re: All Brass Shotshell Question
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2021, 05:23:24 AM »
Buffalo Arms Co. have CH4D 16ga. shellholders, albeit a bit pricey at $ 29.59 ea.

https://www.buffaloarms.com/ch4d-16-gauge-shell-holder-4d40816gsh.html

Have You tried beveling the edge of the primer pocket to see if that helps with primer entry?

If the whole primer pocket really is to tight I would consider grinding down a drill bit if one can't be bought in the correct dimension...

It's real easy to take too much metal out of the primer pockets....very hard to put some back in....

In such a case that the primer pockets have become somewhat "loose", I've had luck with using a suitable hex socket and extender.  Place the hex socket over the primer pocket in the inside of the case and gently tap the socket down with a hammer, thereby "swaging" the primer pocket down to size.  Rotate the socket a few degrees and repeat the process as required. 
"As long as there's lead in the air, there's still hope..."
Frontiersman & Frontiersman Gunfighter: The only two categories where you can play with your balls and shoot your wad while tweaking the nipples on a pair of 44s.

Offline LongWalker

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 911
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 12
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2021, 02:44:03 PM »
Just a thought.  Perhaps you could use a primer pocket reamer to enlarge the primer pocket (much as is done to remove the primer crimp when reloading military rifle cases).  A primer pocket uniformer could be used if needed to even out the depth of the pocket. 
In my book a pioneer is a man who turned all the grass upside down, strung bob-wire over the dust that was left, poisoned the water, cut down the trees, killed the Indian who owned the land and called it progress.  Charles M. Russell

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:04:58 PM »

Online Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1194
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2021, 08:24:35 PM »
I once snapped the handle off of an antique 12ga priming tool after using it just a couple times.  I don't know if this will help any, but here's how I do my 12ga Rem-UMC shells.  I place the empty hull over the primer on a flat table top and push it down to get the primer just started, or "stuck" in the pocket.  Then I set it in my Lee LoadAll 2 to seat the primer.  But before I had the Lee, I would put a socket driver (5/16" I think? Large enough to fit down in the bottom without pushing on the primer pocket).  Then tapping the end of the driver handle with a hammer to push the hull down over the primer.  I recall someone once saying they had primers go off when trying that, but I did hundreds with no problem.  If the primer pocket in your shells is actually too small for the primer to even get started, then I guess that needs to be addressed first.  Good luck.

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 405
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2021, 10:08:17 PM »
The trick is gentle tapping. Just enough!  I have a wooden block with a gas fitting (Think of a thimble with a hole centered in the bottom. A medium sized nut works.) inset in one end; Use a Lee depriming punch to tap the fired primer into a drilled hole. The other end has a bit of mild steel plate screwed down; Place the new primer on the pad, set the case over and nudge the primer in to start. Then a hardwood dowel or deep hole socket inside the case and tap down GENTLY til seated.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

Offline Tequila Shooter

• Active citizen
  • SASS #: 108079
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2021, 07:32:09 AM »
Not the same gauge, but maybe it’ll help. I load 12ga brass hulls and I use my MEC sizemaster.  I have a spent 209 primer on the priming station, I put a LPP on top of the 209, place the hull on top of the new LPP and then just pull down the handle.  The bottom of the 209 cradles the LPP and raises it enough to fully seat it in the hull.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2021, 09:35:20 AM »

:)  Well Heck  ;)

I don't know how much, or even if at all, this will help.  I had a real problem with miss-fires when I started with All Brass Magtec hulls.  Primers weren't necessarily seating fully when I use by drill press to seat the primers.  Was very frustrating. 

I went to an inexpensive single stage press with the RCBS 12Ga die for de-capping and then seating the new primer.  Now, 100% reliable.  There should be a simple shotgun press floating around to give the same results with 16Ga.  I don't know that for a fact as I haven't been looking.  Don't shoot 16Ga at all.  Just some thoughts.

Play Safe Out There

Offline Pinback

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2021, 07:58:07 AM »
Thank you gentlemen for the helpful suggestions. My difficulties were solved after a visit to a pawnshop. I was scrounging through some unmarked plastic boxes and sourced two large primer pocket reamers, one only does width and one for depth (adjustable). Also found a flash hole reamer. These vintage tools make the task much easier. The Magtech brass flash holes were too small to use the decapper pin, so the flash hole reamer makes the holes uniform and just the right size. So for the $15 investment I ramped up production, about 140 12 and 16 gauge are completed, though there are about 50 more to finish. 

"The constitution shall never be construed...to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."  Alexander Hamilton

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2021, 08:42:36 AM »

:)  UBER KOOL!!   ;)

Really neat set of tools you betcha   ;D

Play Safe Out There

Offline Pinback

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2021, 06:38:55 PM »
Today we burned some Black Powder. I shot my mid 1880's 12 Gauge J.P. Clabrough (English) hammer side by side. You can see the shot column leading the way. It was an enjoyable time in the Pawnee Grasslands.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com