Author Topic: hammer spring replacement???  (Read 3847 times)

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 58
hammer spring replacement???
« on: May 16, 2014, 05:51:51 PM »
     A friend of mine took his hammer spring out & cut 1 coil off ,,now he can't get it back in!!! Now I have it ,,,tell me how to easly put it back in ( he'll think I;m gun smart),,Oh! it's a SS VAQ. BESB. model.

hootnix.

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
Re: hammer spring replacement???
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2014, 07:33:42 PM »
Did he remove the grip frame?  A lot of people think you can replace the spring by just prying it out of the frame.  Sometimes it works, sometimes you bend the strut.  Not rocket science.  Put the spring on the strut and if it is an "Vaquero" (as opposed to a New Vaquero, I have never heard of a BESB) compress the spring, put on the spring plate and stick a nail through the strut hole.  If it is a New Vaquero just compress the spring and put a nail in the hole and then sit it on the lock.  This is BEST done with the grip frame removed.  Go to the Ruger website and they have a video on how to disassemble a Vaquero.

Go here and click on Tech tips.

http://www.ruger.com/resources/videos.html

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2014, 11:13:15 PM »
 NO! SIR, he did not remove the grip frame,,i did to rerinstall it . My friend cut 1 coil off the hammer spring,,my question is ,,to lighten the action on the hammer ( this model no. starts w/ no. 501xxxxx) how many coils ,,,max., may be removed,,,i know it must be done a little at a time ,just thought ya'll might have done enough to give me a standard amount to sort of go by. I would hate to think I was goning to have to cock this piece 20-25 times . any help appreciated. It is .45 lc,,bisbey model.

hootnix.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 11:17:47 PM »

Offline Pettifogger

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 19
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2014, 11:10:17 AM »
Clipping coils is not the proper way to do it and it is impossible to tell what will work with any particular gun.  Depends on how much friction is in the action and whether anything else has been done to it.  The best way is to buy lightened springs.  They usually come three to a set and you can use the lightest one that will reliably set off your primers.  I grind the stock springs to reduce their OD and the pull weight.  Takes a little skill to do this correctly.

Offline Slamfire

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2014, 12:08:32 PM »
 Pettifoger; thank you , just thought I might add to my limited knowledge. You were one of fellars that helped me with setting up my ( smooth) 72OT,not trying to be a pro., just a little more knowledgeable . Don't know if  I can make his ruger as smooth as my 75's or my 72 ,,,,it's just he wanted me  to try,,,, I know you understand what I'm say'n.

Hoohnix.

Offline Sleepy Floyd

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2014, 10:45:36 AM »
Next spring question.

I have 2 New Model Vaqueros one has the lock and the other does not.  Will the same springs fit each one?

Sleepy Floyd.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com