Author Topic: Handy cloth bags for gear  (Read 10771 times)

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Handy cloth bags for gear
« on: February 22, 2009, 12:28:48 PM »
Due to a wrong button push this thread will be down till I get the pictures found and re-uploaded

I've found cloth bags with draw strings are very handy to carry and store gear in.  I've made a lot of them over they years of all sizes from a duffle bag sized one out of heavy duck to small ones for tobbaco for friends who need them.

I put one together last night and photoed it as I built it, the time it took to do the work was less time than it took to get all the photos.  Size can be what ever you want, most times when I do them I cut them all out, pin them all, then sew them all as needed.  2-3 folks setting up an assembly line could turn out a lot in a short time.  Look for material in the discount rack, calico can often be bought at a $1 or $2 a yard and muslin is often less.

This is just some cotton scrap I had.

I start by pinning the sides and bottom, 1/4" to 3/8" is about right, these makes the seam stronger, I alos do about 3/4' to one inch on the top:

I pin the top on the other side:

I then refold the top:

And pin it on the same side and remove the pins on the back:

I then sew that seam close to the edges and I also back stitch:

I then fold it in half and pin, evening up the bottom in case my guess was off:

I then sew the side and the bottom, twice and do a zig zag with backstitching near the top:

I then get out a yarn needle and some kind of heavy string:

I thread it through the top:

I then knot it, trim it and turn it right side out:

This one it turns out is just right for the whetstone I carry with my cook gear.

A larger on about 7"X15" that I made a while back for my shaving kit:

Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Handy cloth bags for gear
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2009, 02:26:58 PM »
That's a nice shaving kit.  My camera up an broke on me, but when I get it fixed I'll post ptchers of yer tobacco pouches.
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 01:47:20 AM »
Glen,

Where'd you find the cool strop and the razor case?  Yard sale or antique shop?

I've been lookin' for them for MY shaving kit.

Adios, pard!

Jeff
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:23:53 AM »

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 09:19:56 AM »
Del always manages to find neat stuff at thrift stores and yard sales.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Steel Horse Bailey

• Jeff "Steel Horse Bailey" - BP Warthog & C&B Shooter
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • A Master of the Sublime & Holy Order or the Soot
  • SASS #: 27463
  • NCOWS #: 1919
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 12:46:32 PM »
Del always manages to find neat stuff at thrift stores and yard sales.

Indeed!
"May Your Powder always be Dry and Black; Your Smoke always White; and Your Flames Always Light the Way to Eternal Shooting Fulfillment !"

Offline Leo Tanner

• RATS #401 STORM 330
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Life is Good
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 03:19:53 PM »
That's gotta be a bonus ta livin in the heartland.  I'm sure it's fairly common for younger generations ta clear out their folks old house or Grampa's barn an figger on most of the stuff ta be junk.  Not too long ago there was house here that was built in 1860 and was set for demolition.  The current owners had a huge sale to get rid of all the stuff inside and ya wouldn't balieve the finds that were in there.  Some folks just don't know (or care ta investigate) what they got.
"When you have to shoot, shoot.  Don't talk."
     Tuco--The Good the Bad and the Ugly

"First comes smiles, then lies.  Last is gunfire."
     Roland Deschain

"Every man steps in the manure now an again, trick is not ta stick yer foot in yer mouth afterward"

religio SENIOR est exordium of scientia : tamen fossor contemno sapientia quod instruction.

Offline Texas Lawdog

• NCOWS Senator "Old School" Cop
  • Top Active Citizen
  • " We're all Here because We're not all There".
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2010, 11:59:51 AM »
I need to talk Del into making me about 4 of those small bags for my Cap and Ball stuff.
SASS#47185  RO I   ROII       NCOWS#2244  NCOWS Life #186  BOLD#393 GAF#318 SCORRS#1 SBSS#1485  WASA#666  RATS#111  BOSS#155  Storm#241 Henry 1860#92 W3G#1000  Warthog AZSA #28  American Plainsmen Society #69  Masonic Cowboy Shootist  Hiram's Rangers#18  FOP  Lt. Col  Grand Army of The Frontier, Life Member CAF
   Col.  CAF  NRA  TSRA   BOA  Dooley Gang  BOPP  ROWSS  Scarlet Mask Vigilance Society Great Lakes Freight and Mining Company  Cow Cracker Cavalry   Berger Sharpshooters "I had no Irons in the Fire". "Are you gonna pull those pistols or whistle Dixie"?

Offline Delmonico

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2010, 01:17:44 PM »
I made the case, the strop came in a juck box from an aution, was after the hand cranked grinder (metal grindin' type)  Cost me $3 for the box.  Replaced the leather so all I used was the swivel after cleaning and re-bluing.  Also got a Model T Wrench that I ain't found a home for.  Also had about a $100 worth of John Deere Chain repair links, gave them to a farmer friend that had a John Deere Manure spreader, made him happy.
Mongrel Historian

Always get the water for the coffee upstream from the herd.

Ab Ovo Usque ad Mala

The time has passed so quick, the years all run together now.

Offline Hard Mouth

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2010, 11:37:20 PM »
My Mom used to make bags just like that for me and my brother. We called 'em "things bags". Young boys always need bags for their "things".

Offline GunClick Rick

• Top Active Citizen
  • Scudders all of yas~
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2010, 01:12:14 PM »
Hey Del,send me your address and i will send you a very old and cool shaving cup for your set.It is porcelin or glass though..
Bunch a ole scudders!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com