CAS TOPICS > The Powder Room - CAS reloading

Reloading with hollow base bullets

(1/2) > >>

Blackfoot Blue:
Hey Folks, I am new to the site, been hanging around awhile, but finally registered.
     A question for those reloading Yodas.
     If I reload 38 long colt with Trail Boss using the data on the IMR website, but use a RNFP Hollow base instead of the LRNFP, is the reload data the same as far as the powder? The bullet weight is the same (150 gr).
     I'm reloading for a Kirst converted Pietta 1851.  Thanks for any input. I'm new to reloading and not looking for unwanted excitement...  Blackfoot Blue   

Adirondack Jack:
Whenever we stray from the exact bullet in some data, we have to make sure our case capacity under the bullet is as close to the same as possible, or adjust accordingly.  when both are flat based bullets, it's pretty easy to eyeball and see how deep they seat.  HB bullets complicate that a bit, but not overly so.  Most HB bullets end up so the skirt seats a little deeper than a flat based bullet of comparable weight, but the HB "dome" compensates, added back some of that case capacity.

If ya took the flat based bullet and held it beside the HB, so the crimp grooves are even, and eyeball the bottoms, and you see that say half the length of the HB "dome" extends beyond the plane of the flat based bullet, yer gonna be so close to equal it ain't funny.   NONE of our smokeless COWBOY load data is so hot that any closer a comparison is really needed.  Now if the HB bullet sits a LOT deeper in the case than a flat based bullet, revert to starting load data and work up to get a satisfying load. 

Specifically with trail boss, unless you use so much powder that the charge is compressed, squishing the grains, you can't have enough pressure to hurt anything.  That you can eyeball by charging a case and holding the bullet alongside it.  If the bullet is gonna smash the powder down, back off.

Pettifogger:
The more interesting question is where are you going to find .38 LRNFP hollow base bullets in shootable quantities at a decent price?  They are strictly a custom cast affair and you constantly have to be on the alert for a replacement if your supply dries up.

Advertising:

MMA10mm:

--- Quote from: Pettifogger on July 15, 2011, 08:32:15 PM ---The more interesting question is where are you going to find .38 LRNFP hollow base bullets in shootable quantities at a decent price?  They are strictly a custom cast affair and you constantly have to be on the alert for a replacement if your supply dries up.

--- End quote ---
Or, build a fire, put on a pot of lead and get a mould for yourself!   ;D

Sir Charles deMouton-Black:
If you have to use flat point hollow-base wadcutters, they must be loaded to show lead exposed beyond the mouth of the case.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version