CAS TOPICS > The Powder Room - CAS reloading

Need advice about reloading

(1/3) > >>

Regret Chancy:
With the price on ammo going up, up, up, and up still more, I would like to get started reloading. I am a pack rat anyways so I have a pillow case plum full of once shot brass (lucky for me). I dont know what things I need to reload ammo that is consistent in performance. I will be reloading 45 (long) Colt, 44 Russian, 45/70 Govt, and 45/60 Winchester. If I can get a list (recommendations) of the tools and items needed to do this safely and efficiently and a coach or mentor who can put up with my questions, I would be much more comfortable getting started. I would appreciate any help I can get. Thanks for any and all assistance, Regret Chancy
e-mail voodooky@windstream.net
P.S. At a later time I may also try to do the 56/50 Spencer ammo also. ??? :)

Leo Tanner:
Sent ya a PM.

Driftwood Johnson:
Howdy

First, before you buy anything, buy a good reloading manual and read it. A lot of your questions will be answered off the bat. I recommend the Lyman Pistol and Revolver Handbook, but there are plenty of other good manuals out there too. Speer, Lee, and the regular Lyman manual come to mind. Each of these has a section detailing the process of reloading, that's what you need to read to begin to get familiar with reloading. Do this before you spend any money at all on equipment.

And don't be surprised when you find out that primers are currently just as difficult to obtain as loaded ammo.

Advertising:

Shotgun Franklin:
Three things.
First, get someone local to help you start out. Hands on training is always best.
Second, don't expect to recoup your money over night. You'll spend as much for reloading gear as you would for a new gun. Consider it a longer term investment.
Last be carefull and ask questions, ignorance is easily cured.

Singing Bear:
What they said above.  Also, get at least 2 reloading manuals.  Most times, data differ from one manual to another.  I have 4 and all have differing minimum and max charges.  This will leave you more options and still be within safe, published specs.  :)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version