Special Interests - Groups & Societies > The Winchester Model 1876

Useful links and blogs for the 1876

<< < (2/3) > >>

Grizzly Adams:

--- Quote from: Sir Charles deMouton-Black on June 09, 2011, 09:40:52 AM ---Here's Hobie's blog;

--- End quote ---

Thanks for the updated link, Sir Charles.  I have made the change above. :) COG's page is down, so I remove  the dead end link.

Grizzly Adams:

--- Quote from: Slowhand Bob on August 21, 2012, 07:34:40 AM ---I think you may have left that last 'L' off the new link at the top??

--- End quote ---

Fixed!  Thanks. :)

Oregon Bill:
Reading Kirk Durston's article on the 1876, he mentions that Winchester was at work on a military prototype with longer receiver and more robust parts than the 66 and 73 as early as 1866, and that there is a Model 1868 prototype in the collections at the Cody Museum. The unusual yet familiar Winchester in this Youtube may be one of those prototypes. Anyway, I just get tired of gunwriters and others repeating the myth that Winchester simply "stretched the receiver of the 1873" to throw together a lever rifle that could handle buffalo-class cartridges when in truth it had been in development for a decade before its introduction.

/www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMYQZS0VlCA

Advertising:

Coal Creek Griff:
To make it a little easier:

Oregon Bill:
Griff, I am still not sure if this is in fact a prototype of the rifle-caliber Winchester in development as of 1866 -- or a prototype of the 66 we know as the "Yellow Boy." Nothing definitive comes up in a search for an 1866, 1867 or 1868 that I can find...  ???

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version