Special Interests - Groups & Societies > Frontier Iron

Black powder subs with Schofields

(1/3) > >>

DeaconKC:
Okay, I'm gonna try Frontier Cartridge this year. I have a couple of Opentops and a pair of Schofields  that are flawless runners with smokeless. I think the Opentops will be my primary guns with BP sub. I have seen reports that Schofields generally do not run well with BP subs. Have any of you tried the Schofields with BP subs, and if so did they bid up quickly with the sub?

Hair Trigger Jim:
I have often wondered how the reproduction Schofields would do with that lubricating smokey agent we often see lauded by certain denizens of these regions, to wit, APP.

I.e. I haven't tried it but I'm really curious how APP would do in the replica open tops.

Professor Marvel:
My dear Deacon

The issue with the schoffield replicas jamming up  is most oft' due to the replica design not following
the originals with regards to the cylinder bushing and barrel/cylinder thingy, which ( in replicas)
allows the residue ( technically known as "crap" ) to build up .

My brief experience with APP has shown minimal crap, and virtually no buildup, and further no discernable
corrosion. Thus I would suggest APP over anything else....

Or if one is forced to  use other powder, one could squirt crisco over the top of the cartridges after loading, and see what happens :-)

yhs
prof mumbles

Advertising:

Dave T:
My S&W 2000 Schofield will not (NOT) run with BP. I can't get off 5 shots, and that's with Big Lube bullets and SPG.

It does work with the now discontinued Hodgdon Black-MZ, which was an early version of APP. Still smokes but doesn't smell right. When my one can of Black MZ runs out I'll use APP.

Dave

Tascosa Joe:
I had one a while back, I shot it with APP and could fire about 20 rounds before it needed to have some of the residue washed off.  I sold it because my hands are too small to operate it duelist.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version