Author Topic: New Dragoon  (Read 2139 times)

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
New Dragoon
« on: April 14, 2021, 05:49:31 PM »
Back ordered a 2nd Model Dragoon from Midway back in March using my Birthday Discount.  Showed up this week.  New production, very nice, one of the best out of the box actions I've felt on a Uberti Percussion revolver.  Loads and shoots my paper cartridges quite nicely.  Good companion to my squareback 1851. 

Midway now shows Walkers, Whitneyvilles, 1st and 2nd Model Dragoons in stock if you're looking for Big Iron.

Guess Val Trompia is back up and running.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Offline Oldgold

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
Re: New Dragoon
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2021, 07:18:31 AM »
Congratulations!
I own a couple of Walkers, Navy’s, and Armies, but haven’t  owned a Dragoon. I have been eyeing the 4 different versions and don’t know enough about the advantages or disadvantages.  I kinda like the square back trigger guard, but haven’t handled one, so don’t know how it feels.  Any opinions?

Offline Drydock

• MA1 USN ret. GAF #19, Colonel, Chief of Staff. BC, CC, SoM. SASS 1248 Life
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 18
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2021, 08:46:45 AM »
The Whitneyvilles and 1st models use the Walker V mainspring, along with the Walker style oval cylinder stops.  The 2nd model changes to a flat spring and rectangular cylinder stops, with a roller on the hammer for a little easier cocking. The 3rd model changes from the squareback trigger guard to a round one.  They all have the vertical rammer latch, which can drop under heavy loads.  A little file work usually fixes that.

They all handle the same. They all handle conicals and paper cartridges with no work needed.  The 2nd and third models are a little easier to work on and tune if needed, The squareback can rap your knuckle if you've got really big hands.  I got the 2nd model because I like the look of the Squareback (I've got an 1851 to match). The trigger guard has never bothered me. Don't even notice it.

To me the long grip feels like a big heavy 1860.
Civilize them with a Krag . . .

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 05:49:49 PM »

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • River Banker Extraordinaire
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 36
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2021, 08:33:58 AM »
The Dragoon Models are my favorite cap guns. Have Whitneyville, 2nd, and 3rd. Like the looks, heft, history, and caliber. Have a Walker also, lotta heft there! Ifin I were to only have one cap percussion revolver it would be my 2nd Model Dragoon. Although I do like the other two Dragoons too. (Like my 60 Army and 51 Navy (Never-Never) 44 caliber hogleg's also)! The squareback trigger guards on the Dragoon models with them have never bothered me (unlike my Ruger Super Blackhawk 44 which can be a biter at times).

I adjusted the arbor issue on all via various thicknesses of matching arbor diameter flat washers. Plan on doing the Pettifogger Dillion brass button fix one of these days on all, have the buttons, just need to take the time to do. The washers work though and haven't had any problem losing when takedown is done. Fixed all the loading lever drop problems by careful filing of the lever latch, has been a long time since I've had that problem. Love those Dragoons, good for wackin "surly bartenders" on the head if nothing else!! ;D
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline Oldgold

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 3
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2021, 05:23:42 AM »
The Dragoon Models are my favorite cap guns. Have Whitneyville, 2nd, and 3rd. Like the looks, heft, history, and caliber.
 !! ;D
What about the 1st?  Just trying to get opinions.

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2021, 08:16:57 AM »
What about the 1st?  Just trying to get opinions.

For some reason just have never had the urge. Started out with the 2nd, bought the 3rd model a Signature model (NIB) as it was a good price. Impulse buy at a gun show. Then even though they're not a Dragoon (Grandfather Dragoon maybe) the Walker bug hit, bought one, but then the NIA (Need To Acquire) bug hit and bought the Whitneyville as I liked the looks, sorta like having a light weight Walker. Guess just having a 1st just to have all the models has never hit me. Maybe someday, but no plans at present.

Edit add-on----Also, I thought at one time the 2nd and 3rd models with their rectangular locking cuts on the cylinders vs the oval on the Whitneyville and 1st model was probably a superior system. Former CAS Forum member and poster Mako wrote a post and showed all of the CAD diagrams of the oval vs rectangular slots showing and explaining that the oval were no less a better system than the rectangular. I've read and can't recall the reason Colt did the change back in the day. The post is in the Darkside posts somewhere, possibly a 'stickey'. Do a search and you'll find it, miss Ol Mako's posts-very knowledgeable. I've never had a problem with the Whitneyville or Walker style oval lock-up system.
Darksider-1911 Shooter-BOLD Chambers-RATS-SCORRS-STORM-1860 Henry(1866)-Colt Handgun Lover an' Fan-NRA-"RiverRat"-Conservative American Patriot and Former Keeper & Enforcer of the Law an' Proud of Being Both! >oo

Offline LonesomePigeon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2021, 08:51:27 PM »
To me the most significant differences are:

The Whitneyville-Hartford Dragoon has a more slender grip that the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Dragoon's.

The Whitneyville-Hartford and the 1st Dragoon's have a V-shaped mainspring while the 2nd and 3rd Dragoon's have the flat mainspring. The flat mainspring is significantly easier to deal with during reassembly. If you do want a Whitneyville-Hartford or 1st Dragoon get a Walker style nipple wrench. They were made specifically as a multi-tool for the V-Spring.

Offline Crow Choker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2021, 07:17:12 AM »
To me the most significant differences are:

The Whitneyville-Hartford Dragoon has a more slender grip that the 1st, 2nd and 3rd Dragoon's.

The Whitneyville-Hartford and the 1st Dragoon's have a V-shaped mainspring while the 2nd and 3rd Dragoon's have the flat mainspring. The flat mainspring is significantly easier to deal with during reassembly. If you do want a Whitneyville-Hartford or 1st Dragoon get a Walker style nipple wrench. They were made specifically as a multi-tool for the V-Spring.

Right on with the Whitneyville (a/k/a the Transition Dragoon) with the slender, Walker style grips. To me the Whit' is like having a Walker with a shortened cylinder, barrel, and a locking loading lever. Wedge also goes left to right as in all other Colt cappers vs the Walkers right to left. I like the grips.

Reference the mainsprings yer right with the Whit' and original 1st Model Dragoon having the same V mainspring as the Walker. Info relating to Colts 2nd Model always indicated that the 2nd Model had a changeover from Colts V to a leaf mainspring. The Whit' still has the V spring, but have read a number of times by writers and sellers that Uberti standardized the 1st Model Dragoon having the same leaf spring as in the 2nd and 3rd models for manufacturing simplicity. Cimarron in their 1st Model description mentions in their 1st Model specs as the Uberti 1st Model having the leaf as in the 2nd and 3rd. Numrich in parts for the Uberti 1st model just lists the leaf (same number if ordering for the 2nd and 3rd Models. I've never noticed much of a difference between my V spring Whitneyville and leaf spring Dragoon in shooting.

Offline 45 Dragoon

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2021, 09:10:37 PM »
Usually if you stack your thumbs on top of each other on top of the spring, you can push down and slide the spring down.  That's generally how I do it.

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @goonsgunworks

Offline Navy Six

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 26385
  • NCOWS #: 1410
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 66
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2021, 11:43:36 AM »
Gotta agree on the 2nd Model Dragoon. Grip feels good, I like the square back trigger guard and visually the gun looks nicely proportioned.  The weight dampens recoil without being excessive. Big as it is, it stills "feels" like a Colt in your hand. I occasionally use my pair of 2nd Models at Cowboy shoots and don't need a chiropractor at the end of the day.
Only Blackpowder Is Interesting 
"I'm the richest man in the world. I have a good wife, a good dog and a good sixgun." Charles A "Skeeter" Skelton

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com