Author Topic: Tale of 2 Thunderers  (Read 1689 times)

Offline Dusty Tagalon

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • SASS 32291, NCOWS L170, GAF 74
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 2
Tale of 2 Thunderers
« on: July 02, 2020, 07:29:58 PM »
I have 2x Colt Thunderer, one from 1878 other from 1898. Both lock up tight, & I have fired with .386 hallow base bullets, but with both having 3.5” bbls, never gets the chance to expand to bore, so can’t put anything on paper, may be able to hit the broad side of a barn. Purchased & loaded heeled bullets, can’t shoot in the one from 1878 won’t fit in cylinder, the 1898, bbl at mics at .4055, bullets .407, so I will give it a try.
Any thoughts or suggestions?
Finally figuring things out, 3x hits on my top 1x1 target stand. Put a straight edge in the rear site groove, need less than 1/2 front site in groove.
Thanks
Brian

Offline Books OToole

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Michael Tatham
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 91
Re: Tale of 2 Thunderers
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2020, 09:16:00 AM »
The .41 caliber is one of Ok. Tom's favorites.  I'm sure he can give you some good advice.

Books
G.I.L.S.

K.V.C.
N.C.O.W.S. 2279 - Senator
Hiram's Rangers C-3
G.A.F. 415
S.F.T.A.

Offline bear tooth billy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS Senator
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 51
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2020, 05:18:32 PM »
don't know if its worth doing, but you could get a custom made heeled bullet mould
from old west molds with the right size possibly

BTB
Born 110 years too late

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:16:56 PM »

Offline OklaTom

• NCOWS Judge, NCOWS Life 172, GAF 719, SASS 73114, NRA Life, TSRA, Berger Sharp Shooters, Blue River Regulators, Kansas Vigilance Committee
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Bryan Buck
    • 3B Shooting Supply
  • SASS #: 73114
  • NCOWS #: L-172
  • GAF #: 719
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2020, 11:49:45 AM »
I have 2x Colt Thunderer, one from 1878 other from 1898. Both lock up tight, & I have fired with .386 hallow base bullets, but with both having 3.5” bbls, never gets the chance to expand to bore, so can’t put anything on paper, may be able to hit the broad side of a barn. Purchased & loaded heeled bullets, can’t shoot in the one from 1878 won’t fit in cylinder, the 1898, bbl at mics at .4055, bullets .407, so I will give it a try.
Any thoughts or suggestions?
Finally figuring things out, 3x hits on my top 1x1 target stand. Put a straight edge in the rear site groove, need less than 1/2 front site in groove.
Thanks
Brian

Books is right, I am a fan of the 41 Colt. And they vary all over the place. I mould my own heeled bullets with the mould made by Bernie Rowles at Olde West Bullet Moulds. For those tighter bores, I run  the bullets through the right sizing die before loading. If you cannot find a sizing die to suit your bore, Lee will custom grind one for you. Bernie also sells a crimper for heeled 41, and I really recommend that be used to get good bullet pull since the heel is fairly short. Another thing I bought from Bernie is a lubrisizer die (fits the RCBS Lube-A-Matic 2 and the Lyman 4500) that he customizes to size the bullet upside down and lube the external grooves. This operation is done on the loaded cartridges. Instead of a top punch, he supplies a base punch that fits the rim, and has a relief where the primer is to avoid accidental discharge. I have had no problems with his tools, and good success in my 32 Colt, 38 Colt, and 41 Colt heeled cartridge guns.
"I druther have a pocket full of rocks than an empty gun..."

OklaTom@att.net

Offline Dusty Tagalon

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2020, 04:56:26 PM »
Can anyone tell me where I can get a crimper for a heeled bullet? Currently seating bullets only. At range today, 2x times in a row, recoil was enough for bullets to slide out far enough to stop rotation of cylinder. I do have some hallow base bullets, but kind of thick, don’t think there is enough pressure to expand to rifling in 3.5”. Still managed to hit target holder top frame 18” over center. Guessing 3.5” barrel designed for point blank, no aiming required.
Thanks
Brian

Offline OklaTom

• NCOWS Judge, NCOWS Life 172, GAF 719, SASS 73114, NRA Life, TSRA, Berger Sharp Shooters, Blue River Regulators, Kansas Vigilance Committee
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Bryan Buck
    • 3B Shooting Supply
  • SASS #: 73114
  • NCOWS #: L-172
  • GAF #: 719
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 60
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2020, 01:24:10 AM »
Can anyone tell me where I can get a crimper for a heeled bullet? Currently seating bullets only. At range today, 2x times in a row, recoil was enough for bullets to slide out far enough to stop rotation of cylinder. I do have some hallow base bullets, but kind of thick, don’t think there is enough pressure to expand to rifling in 3.5”. Still managed to hit target holder top frame 18” over center. Guessing 3.5” barrel designed for point blank, no aiming required.
Thanks
Brian

Brian, you can get them from Bernie Rowell at Old West Bullet Moulds

https://oldwestbulletmoulds.com/
"I druther have a pocket full of rocks than an empty gun..."

OklaTom@att.net

Offline bear tooth billy

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS Senator
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 51
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2020, 01:50:27 PM »
i got the heeled bullet crimping die from old west molds as Brian Buck said.
I load 38 caliber for my 51 navy, and they shoot well. 50 hits and no misses
at the recent Midwest regional, with no issues. I lube the bullets in lee alox and
use APP powder

BTB
Born 110 years too late

Offline Dusty Tagalon

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2020, 09:25:41 PM »
Crimper on the way. Would love to use APP, out, can’t find, only Pyrodex & Pyrodex select available in my area, screw that using Goex.
Brian

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com