Author Topic: How To on metal liners  (Read 5856 times)

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
How To on metal liners
« on: February 02, 2006, 09:15:37 PM »
I have never seen any information on working with metal liners for holsters and sheathes.  Where would one start the learning process for this?  It has been my opinion that metal liners caused leather to actually wear through quicker in the throat area of holsters.  I believe that the lack of flex will cause the gun to work harder on the leather.  With that said, I do think there are areas where the additional strength and stiffening would be a bonus.  Time spent learning is not wasted.

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
Re: How To on metal liners
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2006, 10:16:41 PM »
I never make holsters with metal linings for just the reasons you mentioned. In addition, they aren't SASS legal. As an experiment, I made one a while back with a rawhide lining. What a pain in the butt that was. Made a great, although somewhat unattractive holster. A metal lining would have been a whole lot easier. I'm sure some of the pards here who have made them with metal linings will be able to offer a little more help than I can. When I want a stiffer holster, I make it with two layers of 8-9 oz leather glued together. The shape holds and you can mold them to fit your gun beautifully.

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Offline Silver_Rings

• Top Active Citizen
  • Gunfighter who shoots for fun.
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2006, 01:02:02 PM »
Marshall, I can't find anything in the SASS guide or RO docs that say metal line holsters are not allowed.  I know several leather vender that sell metal lined holsters for SASS use.  If I am wrong please let me know where it says they are not allowed.

I figured this might be included when the mods were being discussed but it never came up.

SR
Gunfighter, SASS 27466, NRA Life, GOFWG, BOSS, RO 1, RO 2

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 03:10:00 PM »

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2006, 11:40:36 PM »
Marshall, I can't find anything in the SASS guide or RO docs that say metal line holsters are not allowed.  I know several leather vender that sell metal lined holsters for SASS use.  If I am wrong please let me know where it says they are not allowed.

I figured this might be included when the mods were being discussed but it never came up.

SR
I just looked it up. You're right about the handbook not saying anything about it:

"All handguns must be carried in a safe holster capable of retaining the firearm throughout a normal range of motion."

That sure isn't very restrictive, is it?

Offline Russ T Chambers

• Littlest ol' fart Cowboy in Nevada Territory
  • CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Well preserved for my age!
  • SASS #: 262
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 20
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2006, 11:20:22 AM »
I just looked it up. You're right about the handbook not saying anything about it:

"All handguns must be carried in a safe holster capable of retaining the firearm throughout a normal range of motion."
That sure isn't very restrictive, is it?

Hush.  Don't give'em any ideas!!!!!  :o ::) ;D
Russ T. Chambers
Roop County Cowboy Shooters Association
SASS Lifer/Regulator #262
WartHog
SBSS #1441
IPSAC
CRPA Lifer 
NSRPA Lifer
NRA Benefactor Member
Brother of the Arrow

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2006, 01:27:56 PM »
Hush.  Don't give'em any ideas!!!!!  :o ::) ;D
LOL  :D :D :D

Offline Kid Cavalier

• Have Cards Will Travel
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Kid Cavalier
  • SASS #: 35602
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2006, 01:06:50 AM »
FWIW... ;)

Properly done, metal lining a holster can lengthen the life of the holster by reducing the contact the gun makes with the inside of the holster.
How?
Metal linings have one main purpose, to hold the pouch open to facilitate a faster draw. Whether or not this is good is beyond the scope of this post.
The pouch by virtue of the metal lining is kept away from the cylinder of the gun which allows the cylinder to spin as the hammer is cocked at the start of the draw.
The metal lining is not there to retain the gun.
The metal lining is usually only big enough to cover the cylinder area of the gun.
This has advantages in the old style fast draw competitions a-la Andy Anderson/Arvo Ojala, but has little practical use in CAS type shooting (we move a lot and the gun needs to be secure in the holster) (Although I've done it by request)

Steel liners are SASS legal.  If you have doubts call the Sass Office and ask for Hipshot.
Steel liners are probably not allowed in NCOWS or other authenticity minded organizations.

To make one,
Your pattern for the metal lining needs to be just the right size so that when the lining is stitched to the face of the holster, it is just inside the stitch line by 1/8" to 3/16".
The pattern should have a rounded profile so there are no corners.
If you want a flared out pouch lip, use a ball peen hammer to sculpt the lip of the metal liner (before gluing to leather)
use a dremel tool or something similar to round all the edges to prevent the lining from cutting into the leather.
glue to the lining then glue this to the face.

You now have a flat holster pattern with a metal liner.
CAREFULLY, mold the holster around your form until the welt is formed so you can stitch it.
continue holster as you normally would.

I use 24 gauge sheet metal.

It's a real pain and adds to the cost of the holster.
In my opinion it does not offer enough to outweigh the trouble to make one.

The above is totally reflective of my experience and teaching,  but not necessarily the last word on metal linings. ;D
KID CAVALIER
Maker of Fine Gunleather

Offline Slowhand Bob

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2006, 07:22:46 PM »
Thanks kid, I figured you would have had some experience with this.  There are several makers out there who are now provideing kyex and metal liners in a fairly large portion of their SASS line.  The Evil Roy has been offered with both and is a big seller by my understanding.  It leaves me wondering if perhaps the actual liners are shopped out?  As you mention forming the lip and keeping the mouth open is one advantage and another that is touted is that the grip can be given a lot more outward rotation by the way the liner is shaped up into the drop.  It is something I would like to play with when, and if, the time presents itself.

Offline Kid Cavalier

• Have Cards Will Travel
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Kid Cavalier
  • SASS #: 35602
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2006, 07:52:55 PM »
We've used Kydex liners for years.  If someone wants a liner that's the way I'll steer them.  However, I firmly believe that a well made leather lined holster, properly patterned and formed gives you all the advantages that a metal/kydex lined holster does.  Unless you like to sit on your holster. ;D
KID CAVALIER
Maker of Fine Gunleather

Offline Rap Scallion

• Active citizen
  • Strikingly Handsome
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2006, 02:52:48 PM »
I never make holsters with metal linings for just the reasons you mentioned. In addition, they aren't SASS legal.

I would have made the same mistake Marshall.  I read sometime back, can't find it, that metal lined hosters were in fact verboten and so since most of my business is CAS, I never even considered it.  I have had several non CAS players want a fast/quick draw rig, but never got the comission to make it.  I had heard that someone was using scrap plastic, like a laundry detergent jug, for a internal form, but never saw one of those rigs either.

I'm gonna make a Buster Dero rig for my B Western personna, perhaps then I'll make a set more like the Quick Draw rigs with the scrap plastic for liners!
W G Martin
Live Oak, Texas
USMC 1959-70 RVN Vet
NRA/TSRA/SASS#54735

To ride hard, shoot straight, and tell the truth!

Lex et Libertas -- Semper Vigilo, Paratus, et Fidelis!

Offline Rap Scallion

• Active citizen
  • Strikingly Handsome
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2006, 02:55:55 PM »
Sorry Marshall got that quote thing a fussed up! :o

The Marshall had the original line and I was gonna say that I had to agree about the legality of the lined rigs.

Thats what ya get for letting an old retired man play with the computer when he should be stitching leather! ::)
W G Martin
Live Oak, Texas
USMC 1959-70 RVN Vet
NRA/TSRA/SASS#54735

To ride hard, shoot straight, and tell the truth!

Lex et Libertas -- Semper Vigilo, Paratus, et Fidelis!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com