Author Topic: S&W single actions and leather  (Read 2381 times)

Offline Graveyard Jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • aka CraigC
    • Graveyard Jack's Custom Sixgun Leather
  • SASS #: 81,827
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 88
S&W single actions and leather
« on: July 12, 2022, 08:46:39 PM »
Got my first Schofield .45Colt 9yrs ago, the same year I started doing leatherwork. From that first afternoon I spent with it, I was hooked! I couldn't run it as fast as a Colt SAA but it was such a fun sixgun to shoot. Put a set of Eagle UltraIvory grips on it as soon as I could.

I also found it was a wonderful sixgun to make leather for. Something about the shape of a form fitted holster for a S&W single action is just the definition of elegant. The first was the Flames of Hell pattern from the 3:10 to Yuma remake.

Which looks very different with a traditional border stamp instead of the decorative stitching.

One of my favorite holsters in Packing Iron, is this variation of the Mexican loop from a maker named "Rice" in Kansas. Reproduced by Will Ghormley in pattern form as the "Dodge City".

Last year I added four more of these guns to the collection. First I found that Cimarron had started importing the American and ordered an 8" .45Colt off Gunbroker.  I always thought the Russian was the best looking of them all and in a twist of fate, found one used .44 CAS City. I was elated to find that while they're marked .44Russian, the chambers are .44Special. I have tons of Special and .44Colt brass but no Russian so this was wonderful!

The American is an inch longer than the Schofield and has a taller front sight, so a new pattern was drawn up from scratch. This left handed version I made went all the way to London.

Then my wife asked me what I wanted for our anniversary and this factory engraved (not laser) Schofield .45 from Taylor's was the answer.

Then Taylor's finally started shipping the New Model as their "Frontier" in .44Spl and I got ahold of one.

For the 7" Schofield, 6.5" Russian and Frontier guns, I ordered this floral carved holster from Skillet Creek on Etsy. The Frontier was carried all last hunting season. The belt and knife sheath are my work.

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1181
Re: S&W single actions and leather
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2022, 11:41:04 PM »
Great photos, such eye candy!  S&W's don't fit my hands but they do look elegant.  That engraved one is wowzer!

Offline Graveyard Jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • aka CraigC
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2022, 10:39:25 AM »
Great photos, such eye candy!  S&W's don't fit my hands but they do look elegant.  That engraved one is wowzer!
Thanks! I love them but nothing handles like a Colt! I do think the Schofield model is the best of the bunch. Followed by the New Model. The Russian is really comfortable to hold but that hammer is so far from the thumb and the hump is right in the way of that. For me, the American is uncomfortable to hold and shoot. Or maybe my hands are just so used to Colt pattern guns.
SASS #81,827

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 08:43:13 AM »

Offline 1961MJS

• Top Active Citizen
  • GAF #: 797
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 32
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2022, 03:49:47 PM »

We've got opposite hands I guess.  My hands are too wide I guess.  My pinky hangs down on the SAA and I can't grip it well enough to shoot accurately.  The Schofield works MUCH better. 

What finish did you use on the Dodge City holster or did you get that from Will?  The shiny looks really good.
Later
Mike
BOSS #230

Brevet Lieutenant Colonel
Division of Oklahoma

Offline Graveyard Jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • aka CraigC
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2022, 12:40:30 AM »
We've got opposite hands I guess.  My hands are too wide I guess.  My pinky hangs down on the SAA and I can't grip it well enough to shoot accurately.  The Schofield works MUCH better. 

What finish did you use on the Dodge City holster or did you guy that from Will?  The shiny looks really good.
Later
I start with gum trag, then buff while still damp. Then a coat of bag kote. Once it's completely dry I buff one more time. Leaves just enough sheen.
SASS #81,827

Offline Major 2

• "Still running against the wind"
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3032
  • GAF #: 785
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 416
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2022, 06:09:57 AM »
I see the late Chuck Burrows influence in your knife scabbard which I like.

Your yeoman works towards restoring his legacy and photographs has rubbed off, well done.
when planets align...do the deal !

Offline Graveyard Jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • aka CraigC
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2022, 12:35:23 PM »
That's high praise, thanks! I also have to credit the late John Cohea with my knife sheath style. The most recent sheaths have been an effort to sort of combine the styles of the two.

SASS #81,827

Offline RattlesnakeJack

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2022, 10:43:42 PM »
Love the revolvers and the gun leather!

When I aquired my one and only S&W top break (a Uberti Russian Model) for use in conjunction with my GAF North-West Mounted Police impression (… and yes, the NWMP had some Russian Model revolvers, purchasing 30 of them in 1874 …) I ended up having to make myself another NWMP-pattern holster fo fit it, since it wouldn't properly fit in the holster I had previously made to fit my original NWMP-issue 1884 Mk II Enfield revolver.

My leatherwork is most definitley not as gorgeous as the works of art you have showcased, but I am satisfied with the end result, which is of the correct plain and functional service pattern …

Although I am admittedly neither as young nor as fit as NWMP personnel back in the day, it has been a fun impression to work up.  Here is a frequently seen "patrol uniform" consisting of the cotton duck fatigue jacket and cap, worn in conjunction with the regulation yellow-striped uniform trousers and black riding boots.

The Mills-pattern belt I am wearing above is a re-creation I had made to represent one of 200 such "olive green" belts acquired by the Force from the U.S, in 1885.  This type of belt, which had loops for both revolver and rifle cartridges, is seen being worn in a few period photographs, but no original examples are known to have survived …

Rattlesnake Jack Robson, Scout, Rocky Mountain Rangers, North West Canada, 1885
Major John M. Robson, Royal Scots of Canada, 1883-1901
Sgt. John Robson, Queen's Own Rifles of Canada, 1885
Bvt. Col, Commanding International Dept. and Div.  of Canada, Grand Army of the Frontier

Offline Dave T

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 901
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2022, 01:58:50 PM »
I can't post pictures (site says they're too big) but Craig made a beautiful Slim Jim cross-draw for my S&W 2000 Schofield. It is a delight to look at and carry.

Dave

Offline Macon Due

• Citizen
  • SASS #: 29445
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 5
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2024, 08:19:44 PM »
Is the 'Frontier" mod. still being imported?
Thank you..........Macon

Offline Crossdrawnj

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 80
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2024, 08:49:29 AM »
The Uberti Frontier model has been discontinued.

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2024, 09:13:16 AM »
That is unfortunate, arguable the best looking of the #3's

I bought one 11 years ago, then shorty there after picked up an original 2n Model Russian.
I reload for the 44R, with BP, but the 45 Uberti has only digested factory Black Hills or my own smokeless reloads.

Offline Crossdrawnj

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 80
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2024, 03:21:47 PM »
I was on the Taylor's web site a year or so ago an noticed the Frontiers were no longer listed in their catalog.  I called and spoke to a rep who told me Uberti is discontinuing them.  He then informed me they do have several left in stock!  So I dropped the hammer on a nickled 6.5" .45LC. I would have preferred a 44 special, but... A very nice revolver.  I have only shot .45 schofield out of it, but I do like the platform.  Hard to find after market stocks for this model though.

Offline Graveyard Jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • aka CraigC
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2024, 09:21:38 AM »
The Frontier seemed to dry up right after I got mine. Wish they were all offered in .44Spl.
SASS #81,827

Offline Major 2

• Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2024, 09:59:10 AM »
Back when I bought mine, Taylor's had none in stock, but two were inbound.
One was backordered and spoken for, the other also an order, a hold the buyer had, was released.
I struck as "the", or rather mine, briefly was fair game.
I happen to be calling at that magic moment.  :)

I did replace the Grips with the S&W's, the OEM woods grip felt a little fat and broom handle-ish to me.

Holster wise, I placed a call to David Carrico, and I also acquired an Old West Reproductions.

I discovered my Webley holster works quite well too.

Offline Graveyard Jack

• Top Active Citizen
  • aka CraigC
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2024, 12:48:36 PM »
I also made this double rig in 2022.

SASS #81,827

Offline Old No7

• Very Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2024, 07:08:01 AM »
WOW, some beautiful eye candy above!  Nice work!

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment...  One cannot exist without the other."  © 2000 DTH

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com