Author Topic: Question About Money Cartridge Belt  (Read 2478 times)

Offline Buck Stinson

• Top Active Citizen
    • Old West Reproductions, Inc.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Question About Money Cartridge Belt
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2022, 12:10:41 PM »
Yes, I know I'm late in getting back to this post.  Been very busy and was starting to get ready for an antelope hunt/fishing trip.  Cliff is right about the number of loops on cartridge belts.  The earlier belts from approximately mid 1870 to 1890 usually had as many cartridge loops as they could sew between the billet and buckle end.  My reasoning for this, was probably due to the fact that in case of trouble, a good supply of ammo on the belt was better than taking a chance on your pony running off with it tucked away in your saddle bags.  As the years went by and populations grew, I've noticed fewer loops on later belts.  Most of my customers do NOT want the holster to cover any cartridge loops, but the fact is holsters did ride over top of a few cartridge loops on these earlier belts.  In my opinion, extra cartridge loops add very little noticeable weight. 

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 362
« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2022, 09:52:09 PM »
Yes, I know I'm late in getting back to this post.  Been very busy and was starting to get ready for an antelope hunt/fishing trip.  Cliff is right about the number of loops on cartridge belts.  The earlier belts from approximately mid 1870 to 1890 usually had as many cartridge loops as they could sew between the billet and buckle end.  My reasoning for this, was probably due to the fact that in case of trouble, a good supply of ammo on the belt was better than taking a chance on your pony running off with it tucked away in your saddle bags.  As the years went by and populations grew, I've noticed fewer loops on later belts.  Most of my customers do NOT want the holster to cover any cartridge loops, but the fact is holsters did ride over top of a few cartridge loops on these earlier belts.  In my opinion, extra cartridge loops add very little noticeable weight.

I also agree with Buck on the number of loops making little noticeable weight. Yes it may feel heavy if you pick it up but when strapped around my waist and even as out of shape as I am a wide comfortable money belt isn't noticeable to me whether the loops are empty or full. The least noticeable way a person can carry something is by distributing it evenly around your waist.
I mean can your legs really tell the few ounces difference between a handful of cartridges and a full belt? I have a hard time seeing how that's noticeable. If it is how does one walk around with winter clothes on at all?

http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Skeeter Lewis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2022, 08:11:17 AM »
Money belts in Packing Iron seem to pack in as many loops as possible. I suppose if you were away from any township in the 19th century, you needed as much ammo as you could take. Nowadays, you don't need to fill all the loops.

Advertising

« Reply #23 on: Today at 09:35:07 AM »

Offline Marshal Will Wingam

• Garden Variety
  • Deputy Marshal
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Smile. It makes people wonder what you're up to.
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 307
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2022, 08:40:00 AM »
Man, that's outstanding! You have really done it right. The shield and border are quite nice. Is that a makers stamp?

SCORRS     SASS     BHR     STORM #446

Online Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2022, 09:12:51 AM »

:)  Skeeter  ;)

PLUS ONE for Marshall Will Wingam.  That is one outstanding cartridge belt.  I'm an Auld Phart with a bad hip and a full cartridge belt is more than I want to lug around.  I do however, agree with Cliff and Buck.  Once you have 25 - 30+ plus cartridges on the belt, an added 5 or six under the holster wouldn't matter atall.

I have always been amazed at the "Ranger" belts from the 19th century that displayed TWO FULL rows of ammunition and included some large bore rifle rounds.  That had to really wear a body out!!

People are Still Hazardous to Yer Health.  Avoidance

Offline Skeeter Lewis

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 9
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2022, 09:17:04 AM »
Thanks, pards. I suppose it was the poor old horse that had to bear the weight of the ammo.

Offline Rube Burrows

• Top Active Citizen
  • SASS #: 84934
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 695
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2022, 09:45:12 AM »
Money belts in Packing Iron seem to pack in as many loops as possible. I suppose if you were away from any township in the 19th century, you needed as much ammo as you could take. Nowadays, you don't need to fill all the loops.

Man Skeeter, that is a beautiful rig for sure.
"If legal action will not work use lever action and administer the law with Winchesters" ~ Louis L'Amour

SASS# 84934
RATS#288

Offline Sir Charles deMouton-Black

• THE ANCIENT SUBSTANCE ENDURES - ALL LESSER PROPELLANTS SHALL FIZZLE
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 405
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2022, 09:49:06 AM »
I recall reading that the loops under the holster were usually left empty.
NCOWS #1154, SCORRS, STORM, BROW, 1860 Henry, Dirty Rat 502, CHINOOK COUNTRY
THE SUBLYME & HOLY ORDER OF THE SOOT (SHOTS)
Those who are no longer ignorant of History may relive it,
without the Blood, Sweat, and Tears.
With apologies to George Santayana & W. S. Churchill

"As Mark Twain once put it, “History doesn’t repeat itself, but it does rhyme.”

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com