Author Topic: Faux ivory grips  (Read 1347 times)

Offline Pappy Hayes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Faux ivory grips
« on: February 26, 2022, 01:12:26 PM »
I need to find a gunsmith in Kansas City area that could from  fit the faux ivory grips I bought for my Richards Type II conversion revolver.

Online Mogorilla

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • NCOWS #: 3306
  • GAF #: 883
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 95
Re: Faux ivory grips
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2022, 06:17:29 PM »
I have my cowboy guns worked on by Del at James Country in Liberty, never asked hime about grips though.  You might give him a call

Offline Abilene

• CAS-L Ghost Rider
  • Top Active Citizen
    • Abilene's CAS Pages
  • SASS #: 27489
  • NCOWS #: 3958
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1180
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2022, 06:30:28 PM »
Nice thing about grip fitting is that most 'smiths will not need the gun, just the gripframe.  So it is easy to mail it off to an expert without needing to find someone local to avoid expensive roundtrip shipping.  What about Gripmaker?  Does he offer a fitting service?

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 02:23:23 PM »

Offline Pappy Hayes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2022, 01:36:03 PM »
Gripmaker said his hands don't work good anymore.

Offline Pappy Hayes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2022, 02:39:16 PM »
Nice thing about grip fitting is that most 'smiths will not need the gun, just the gripframe.  So it is easy to mail it off to an expert without needing to find someone local to avoid expensive roundtrip shipping.  What about Gripmaker?  Does he offer a fitting service?

Del doesn't work on grips

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 463
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2022, 03:16:40 PM »
Pappy,
attach the grips in the rough on the frame, making sure they are nocked up and square into the angle formed by the frame and the upper grip frame, then take a thin pencil and mark along the underside of each panel where they may stick out proud from the frame, remove and file down to the mark on both holding the file right angles to the inner face. 

This roughing to shape will give you the outline. Wrap the grip frame with blue painter's tape, or similar, to protect against slips and nicks, re-install the grips and with a finer file round the edges working the file from the edge up and into towards the body of the grip panels to shape. Test frequently for feel in your hand. Finish with finer grades of garnet or sandpaper until smooth. This is where an emery board will make it easy.
When sanded to your satisfaction, remove and rub a wax candle around on the surface to give some tooth, remove the painter's tape for the grip frame and re-install your beautiful new grips.

Most pards fit grips themselves just to say they did it. It is not difficult, just tedious. Put a Western DVD in and view while fitting for inspiration, - keeps your mind occupied while your hands are busy. It will be a night's pleasant diversion.
And wear a mask agains dust kicked up from the resin used for your brand of faux grips selected, just in case you're sensitive to the chemicals.
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Pappy Hayes

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2022, 08:02:50 PM »
I have to I am a little disappointed in the quality and feel I wasted 75 bucks. They were made oversized and I think too much to be able to fit them and look right. One seems warped.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com