Author Topic: Loosening Uberti Screws  (Read 9042 times)

Offline Ridge Runner

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1
Loosening Uberti Screws
« on: August 18, 2019, 01:42:35 PM »
A question asked many times, but I must ask again.  The part at the front of a 1866 carbine that holds the barrel and magazine tube together, and also holds the sight, is a bit off and I need to twist it a hair to put me at point of aim.  Aside from soaking in Kroil for several hours, and also torching it, which I have done in the past on other Uberti screws, I cannot budge it.  Also, the screw slot is so shallow that it is very difficult to keep the proper screwdriver in the slot when bearing down and trying to turn it.  Before I resort to drilling it out, and suggestions?  Thanks.

Offline major

• Top Active Citizen
  • I shoot blanks out of my Spencer for reenacting!
    • 9th New York Cavalry
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
Re: Loosening Uberti Screws
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2019, 01:52:18 PM »
I used an impact driver on mine.  Clamped it to the bench and gave it a couple of solid wacks and off it came.  If the slot is to small a touch of a dremel tool with a cut off wheel can make it larger.  Then reblue with cold blue when done.
Terry
Free Mason
9th NYVC www.9thnycavalry.webeditor.com
155th NYVI http://155thny.org
Alabama Gun Slingers
Shadows of the old west reenactors
SASS Life Member
SCOPE Life Member
NRA Life member
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a handsome, and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming...."WOW!... What a ride!"

Offline Ridge Runner

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2019, 02:39:58 PM »
It's a small screw, and there is no clearance for the Dremel tool.  For the time being I'll continue to hammer on the screwdriver and also torch it on and off before the drill comes out.

Advertising

« Reply #3 on: Today at 12:16:26 AM »

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 125
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2019, 02:41:02 PM »
I actually lost track of the number of Uberti Carbine Sights I changed over the years.  I never found a consistently effective way to get that screw out.  Hate to admit it, but I just gave up.  If I had to fix or change that barrel band sight out, I just drilled out the screw and replaced the sight.  You cannot salvage the barrel band when you drill out the screw.  The threads are all on the wrong side.

If your not interested in changing out the barrel band ... I would suggest clamping the barrel in a padded vice.  Put a register mark on the sight and one on the barrel with a very fine pencil.  Rap the barrel band in leather, grab it with a BIG adjustable wrench and turn the band in place.  Make sure you go the correct way and check your register marks.

Just as an aside, I have tried Fitted Screwdrivers, Impact tools, Heat, Impact tools with Heat, Fitted Screwdrivers with Heat, Throwing the Impact Tool across the Shop .... No Joy.  Best of Luck.

Offline Ridge Runner

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2019, 04:22:52 PM »
I'll try giving it a twist.  Thanks. 

Offline Professor Marvel

• purveyor of useless items to the gentry
  • American Plainsmen Society
  • Top Active Citizen
  • learn from the past, or be doomed to repeat it
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 1161
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2019, 04:57:30 PM »
... I just drilled out the screw and replaced the sight.  You cannot salvage the barrel band when you drill out the screw.  The threads are all on the wrong side.

ummmm  wrong side?

the outside?

yhs
prof confused
Your Humble Servant
~~~~~Professor Algernon Horatio Ubiquitous Marvel The First~~~~~~
President, CEO, Chairman,  and Chief Bottle Washer of

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Acclaimed By The Crowned Heads of Europe
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

Offering Unwanted Advice for All Occasions
and
Providing Useless Items to the Gentry
Since 1822
[
Available by Appointment for Lectures on Any Topic

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2019, 10:37:20 AM »

Farside

Offline Ridge Runner

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2019, 12:50:06 PM »
I'm going to have to resort to drilling it out and replacing it.  There doesn't seem to be a wrench big enough to get it to budge.  Even though firmly held in a vise close to the band, it just will not budge.  I'm afraid I'll damage the barrel.

Offline major

• Top Active Citizen
  • I shoot blanks out of my Spencer for reenacting!
    • 9th New York Cavalry
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 0
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2019, 01:54:37 PM »
It's a small screw, and there is no clearance for the Dremel tool.  For the time being I'll continue to hammer on the screwdriver and also torch it on and off before the drill comes out.
When you use the dremel tool to cut the slot larger there will be a little over cut on the band itself but that is what the cold blueing is for.  I have used this procedure for taking out that screw several times and it has always worked for me.
Terry
Free Mason
9th NYVC www.9thnycavalry.webeditor.com
155th NYVI http://155thny.org
Alabama Gun Slingers
Shadows of the old west reenactors
SASS Life Member
SCOPE Life Member
NRA Life member
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a handsome, and well preserved body; but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming...."WOW!... What a ride!"

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2019, 04:40:46 PM »

There is a really good reason I posted my experience with the front Barrel Band on Uberti Carbines.  You must remember, I don't necessarily speak from a singular experience with the "only" example I own.  I speak from the experience of working on a lot of guns.  A lot more than just one or two.

That front band screw is threaded on the "far" end and when Bongo (Uberti's pet Gorilla) tightens the screw down, it pinches the band out of shape and jams the screw threads.  Drilling the screw head off does no good as the screw is still in there and in it's slot.

I valued my time and I still value my time.  Wrestling with that stupid screw is more trouble than it's worth.  In the long run, it's cheaper to drill out the threaded side, pitch the barrel band and replace it.  For a CAS rifle, I normally used a "speed sight" from Pioneer Gunworks.  Bead like having a Door Nob.

Center punch the screw end, use a slightly oversize drill and carefully drill the threaded portion of the screw away then tap out the rest of the screw.  Put the parts someplace safe.  Your Trash Can.  Buy a new part and screw.  The frustration and having your impact tool stuck in the Drywall simply is not worth it.

Offline Professor Marvel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2019, 12:13:52 AM »
ahhhhh

far side

after drilling out the threads on the far side and tapping out the screw,
couldn't a frugal chap drilkl & thread to a larger size and use a larger common screw?

yhs
prof mumbles
Your Humble Servant

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Powder, Percussion Caps, Cleaning Supplies, Dry Goods,
and
Picture Postcards

and
Since 1822
[

Offline River City John

• NCOWS Senator
  • NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Mr. & Mrs. John Covert
  • NCOWS #: L-146
  • GAF #: 275
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 472
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2019, 01:01:44 AM »
I've found the surest way to loosen Uberti screws on a '66 carbine is in how you apply the force.

Carefully place your off hand at the end of the barrel about 1" ABOVE the band, and guide, while your strong hand steadies the grip in a hold next to your off hand, the buttstock portion of the rifle level with your eyes, then keeping a comfortable stance, bring the whole down sharply against the bole of a suitable tree.

RCJ 
"I was born by the river in a little tent, and just like the river I've been running ever since." - Sam Cooke
"He who will not look backward with reverence, will not look forward with hope." - Edmund Burke
". . .freedom is not everything or the only thing, perhaps we will put that discovery behind us and comprehend, before it's too late, that without freedom all else is nothing."- G. Warren Nutter
NCOWS #L146
GAF #275

Offline Ridge Runner

• Active citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2019, 09:23:57 PM »
That would have been my next step.  But fortunately, the old band was drilled out and successfully removed, and a new band installed with the sight in an upright position.  I no longer have to aim to the left of a target.  Life is good.  Thanks everyone.

Offline Coffinmaker

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2019, 09:02:09 AM »

Ah Yes  :D  We do love it when a plan comes together  ;D (Stolen famous TV line).  Success is a most wonderful thing.

Perfesser ....... Ah well, probably naught.  There is a slut .. er ... slot in the Mag Tube and a similar relief in the bottom of the barrel for said screw to fit into, thereby stabilizing the mag tube and the Band.  A larger screw would probably (I never tried it), most likely, maybe foul the Mag Spring thereby perhaps reducing the capacity of the Magazine.  Additionally, normally, usually, I used a drill of sufficient size to really get that sucker (screw) outta there.  A sufficiently large fastener would look more like a Stove Bolt  :o

Offline Cliff Fendley

• NCOWS Member
  • Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
  • Likes Given: 363
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2019, 09:56:50 AM »
When in doubt I use an impact driver with Brownells Magna-tip bits and they usually pop right loose. Just took an original 1873 apart that had some buggered screws and many decades of gunk and rust in them.
http://www.fendleyknives.com/

NCOWS 3345  RATS 576 NRA Life member

Johnson County Rangers

Offline Professor Marvel

• Top Active Citizen
  • Liked:
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2019, 06:58:00 PM »
Thanks coffin , that clarifies it all...

yhs
prof marvel
Your Humble Servant

Professor Marvel's
Traveling Apothecary
and
Fortune Telling Emporium

and
Picture Postcards

and
Since 1822
[

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk

© 1995 - 2023 CAScity.com